Willie's rise continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastabation

Reaction score
In 2004 Willie Mason was able to transform himself from public enemy number 1 to becoming arguably the best 2nd rower in the world. During 2004 Mason found himself at the forefront of a lot of drama, becoming the face of the infamous Blues bonding night and also the subject of drug allegations. But over the course of the season, he transformed himself from a man booed by his own fans in SOO to number 1 player in the biggest game of the year.

Despite all the negative attention Mason received, he was able to shrug off the ill-feeling from large sections of the community to lead his side to the premiership they were denied in 2002 when stripped of 37 competition points for salary cap breeches.

Moving into 2005, Mason was tragically injured in a ridiculous game against the USA, a country where Rugby League clearly will not be expanded, played on plastic grass. While diving over for a try the big man feel awkwardly, injuring his ankle in the process and costing him 20 rounds on the sideline for the upcoming campaign.

Despite the injury, Mason has not been able to keep his face out of the papers. He was back page news for missing his team’s season opener, instead attending a rap concert. He has also found himself linked to the potentially dubious management of the Sydney Roosters. Many media outlets and members of the community believe he will head to Bondi in 2006.

Admittedly, although I am a Bulldogs supporter, I think it’s crucial for Mason that he remains at the Bulldogs club. It was the Bulldogs who recruited him from a young age and helped transform him from a very raw product to a seasoned international and now grand final winner. It would speak volumes for his character if Mason was able to deny the alleged Roosters offer and remain with the Premiers. Having said that, the Bulldogs too have reaped the rewards for he’s hard work. Mason has always obviously had loads of potential; most of what he has displayed cannot be coached. He is an on field leader and he is kind of man that rubs off on other players. It would be a shame if the dogs offered him anything less than what he deserves.

They key for Mason in 2004 was his attitude change to the way he approached his football. By he’s own admission Mason was distracted by external matters in 2003 and football wasn’t necessarily his number 1 priority. This certainly wasn’t the case last year and he took a big step towards making his career an extremely successful one. He has been playing rep football for a few years now and he has developed himself into a genuine leader. If Mason remains at the Bulldogs for next 3-5 seasons I have no doubt he will achieve every success in the game and perhaps be one day remembered as one of the best forwards in the modern era. It is up to both the Bulldogs management and Willie Mason to ensure that this happens. Both parties will benefit in the long term and I’m sure they’ll have no regrets. The Bulldogs have an extremely talented and young football side and during grand final week last year Mason spoke of a pact between himself and several other off contract players, their desire was to create a dynasty with the club. Mason is an integral part of his side’s success and with him at the club, there is every chance that this could happen.

PATTICAKE

-=BluEnWhitE PriDe=-
Reaction score
4sure he will his the man!!! hope he doesnt convert to the roosters tho

T

TheDoggFather1

Piss him off, we dont need imbeciles like him at OUR Club.

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to see him stay, I just want him to want too.

BTW - Very clever title.

T

TheDoggFather1

Why would you want a lazy arrogant imbecile at our club for?

MzBulldog83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh willie or won't he? that is the question :rolleyes:

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
15.5 Hitups for 135m and 16.5 Tackles per game isnt lazy.

me8590

all who wander r not lost
Reaction score
Hammer said:
15.5 Hitups for 135m and 16.5 Tackles per game isnt lazy.
lolz-thats tru but i rekon DF is rite..we dont want the crap that he brings 2 the doggiez..n i think although he's a good 4ward we shouldn't make him our priority 2 sign b4 a couple of others

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Very good article. If Willie Mason stays he will be remembered as a clown off the field, but one of the greatest forwards on the field. He will be remembered for his memorable grand final display, or displays as he'll win us more comps than lose them.

On the other hand, Steve Price will be remembered for his treachery. So what's it going to be Mason? Champion Bulldog who couldn't give a rats ass what people though about him or Willie Macbeth?

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
I like what youre saying. IMO, it would be best for him to stay with teh Dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.