Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
http://www.cowboys.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=40887&tonga-released-for-2012

The [URL="http://www.cowboys.com.au/"]North Queensland
Toyota Cowboys have today released centre Willie Tonga from the final year of his contract to pursue other opportunities with his rugby league career.
General Manager – Football Peter Parr said Tonga, who has been a valued member of the Cowboys’ squad for the past three seasons, would remain a key part of the club’s 2011 NRL campaign.
The Cowboys and Tonga have mutually agreed that it is best for him to seek a contract at another club from the end of this season.
Tonga said his decision to leave the Cowboys a year earlier than expected was not for football-related reasons, but rather for a change of lifestyle.
“I have nothing but good things to say about the Cowboys, my time with the club, the coaches I have worked with, the players I have played with and the staff here,” Tonga said.
“I’ve had a great time playing footy with the Cowboys and look forward to ending off this season on a high note.
“I have decided that I want to move away from Townsville and that’s the only reason why I’ve come to this decision.
“I’d like to thank the club for letting me chase other options and hope our members and supporters can understand why I’ve decided to leave.
“It’s been an honour to play for the Cowboys.”
Parr said the Cowboys fully respected Tonga’s decision and hoped another NRL club would soon sign the Test and Origin back.
“Willie has been a fine player for this club and we’ll be sad to see him go,” he said.
“We look forward to him finishing his time at the Cowboys in the best possible manner.”
[/URL]

spikestar

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i wonder how long it will be before some1 mentions that we should sign him!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's all signed, sealed and delivered to Parra and will join his brother there next year.

By the way, I seem to remember a lot of people on here crying when we didn't keep Esi. Well, the bloke is pretty much rubbish so no loss on our part. One mans trash is as usual Parra's treasure. (Willie Tonga and Sandow excluded)

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
we already have willie tonga junior in lafai

UnderCoverBrother

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Looks like Winterstien to replace tonga in the centres, with the money from tonga being used to help retain players like Tariq Sims , James Segeyaro and Kalifa Fai Fai Loa.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Looks like Winterstien to replace tonga in the centres, with the money from tonga being used to help retain players like Tariq Sims , James Segeyaro and Kalifa Fai Fai Loa.
The Cowboys will only get better next year and provided Tate isn't injured again then you guys haven't lost much for next year.

I love when the Cowboys are a force.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Eels will be the goods next season

P

Paint.

They will just ship them off if they fail eg Robson, Mortimer lol
lol
but seriously, Hayne, Roberts, Sandow... none of them will be able to organise the team. They need a dominant half who can read the game, Sandow isnt that, and Hayne and Roberts are inconsistent and prone to bad plays.

TheBarba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mortimer to Panthers, frees up cash for Tonga to eels should be just about done by now I'd say.....

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
they dont have the halves to do it.
Hayne + Sandow

Sandow is starting to fire more consistently and Hayne is capable of pretty much anything. This owns our halves combination.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Apparently, the Eels are releasing a few players to make room for Tonga.
Daniel Mortimer is one & Uaisele has been told that they won't be able to fit him under the cap next year.

Mortimer has had NO interest from any UK club, and Penriff have only "enquired" about him....not much interest in Morts! Wonder if he is kicking himself for not coming to the Dogs when he had the chance?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tim Lafai looks very like a young Matt Cooper to me.
Yes and no

I actually thought Coopers defense at times was very overrated. He would give up metres, then commit to a tackle. Lafai is doing the same thing at the moment. TBH - I want to see him in the number 4 jersey for the very long term.

UnderCoverBrother

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Cowboys will only get better next year and provided Tate isn't injured again then you guys haven't lost much for next year.

I love when the Cowboys are a force.
Sad but happy to see him leave, We will be better for it and so will he.

Status
Not open for further replies.