Will you be angry if we don't get a new 7 for 2024 ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we get no-one from Hunt, Brooks, Townsend, Walker, Pearce or even Jack Cogger I think it's a disgrace personally and I'll feel the same if we ALSO don't get a decent middle while we retain Sutton.

Gus said on Twitter when someone asked about recruitment for 2024 that there's not much left which is forcing prices up. F..king DER Gus, that's exactly what many of us on here have been complaining about since late last year - our f..king inaction and now what Gus is admitting we left things too late ?

I'm not a big fan of Brooks but I think that shows how f..king desperate some of us have become - we're willing to have "hope" in virtually anyone to improve our situation. Surely it's worth signing Cogger as an insurance policy / as an alternative just in case Oloapu doesn't work out. Can't understand why we didn't sign a decent big middle like Royce Hunt either.

Burton isn't a 7 by the way.

Some think Gus is going to pull a rabbit out of a hat (like Sele) but I'm not so sure and Sele wouldn't be enough anyway. Gus seems to spend a lot of time sitting on his hands while doing his other (less paid) jobs. He or someone has done well with recruitment for the lower grades but we have no decent big body middles. Can't he see that

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we buy some strong middles I think we can get by, let’s face it, we have always built our success from competitive big aggressive middles.
There's really no-one available though besides Lodge. We need at least 2. Frizell isn't really a middle. Sele isn't big either. We need to stem the flow through our middle. If I were Gus I'd be buying Cogger, Sele and Lodge even if it costs us Alamoti. Try and move Sutton on. He's f..king useless

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Too many people are taking Gus for an idiot. Gus has done deals. He won't announce shit until those players' commitments are over. That's how he works. Anyone thinking he'll let this club sink on his watch are delusional, let it play out.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely wasting our time without an experienced 7. With Hunt basically saying he misses family/good weather, I'd say Brooks would now be highly likely.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The world is a vast place, we should take a strong look at Europe and Pacifica where there’s incredible raw talent.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very disappointed if we don’t, however you have to think Gus with all his experience and knowledge, can land us one of the above as we really need it. Maybe he has an will keep tight lipped… as they saying goes, lose lips sink ships. So we either keep sinking or start swimming!!!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd rather we don't sign any of those halves except Hunt (going back to QLD) and Walker/Keary and instead just stick with what we have at this point. The rest of the options are uninspiring and will just be problems here imo. We need a marquee middle, someone like Sele ain't going to do a whole lot for us either. Next year not looking to hot. There's going to be little to no quality available at this time of the year for the following year and we have to assume Gus knew that so I assume he's just missed out on a lot of players.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Too many people are taking Gus for an idiot. Gus has done deals. He won't announce shit until those players' commitments are over. That's how he works. Anyone thinking he'll let this club sink on his watch are delusional, let it play out.
Agreed mate, he’s old school, just like Des > Titans - literally no one saw that coming.

The Kikau pic burnt him so he’ll be even more secretive now - ducks and drakes.