Will the clean up finally happen?

steveng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was trying to think of realistic changes that the club needs to make for next year based on who is actually off contract and based on what a player can bring to the team. The key missing attributes that we need are Speed, Experience & a Winning culture

I get the feeling Burton & Staines are just playing us and to be honest as much as they are way better than anything we have, they are young and need more time , B Smith is the same playing us for money and i dont think he will come to us, so my thoughts are below

OUTS
Holland - going !
Montoya
DWZ
Katoa
Lafai
Tolman
Su
Hoppa - hurts to say but he is past it
Cogga

Release - Chrichton

INS
Addo Carr ( Fullback ) - at first i didn't like the idea, but he is the best player on the market. ! If he doesn't work at fullback move him back to the wing.
Tom Starling ( Hooker ) - next best hooker to B Smith that's on the market , reminds me of Cook.
John Asiata ( Lock ) - good ball playing lock and is good in D
Steven Masters ( Centre ) - really like this kid, will develop into a great centre, reminds me of Willie Talau
Sam McIntyre ( Middle ) - was the tigers best player over the last few weeks, tough kid and is developing well.
Tyrone May ( Half / Utility )- Could be a great genuine utility or half. Probably the most realistic signing out of the Penrith players
Patrick Herbert ( Wing ) - has lots of speed and can carry the ball out well.

Already signed - Wardell , Cotric & Green for half the season!

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes, I think the cleanup will finally happen, but over the next 2 years. Whilst it might be hard to get the high profile targets that we are all hoping for (especially in the spine positions) for next year, we can definitely take the first steps in reshaping our squad by letting go of the players off contract and replacing them with players like Waddell and Green etc who I think are an upgrade on what we are letting go and if TBAZ wants these players, let's back him with his choices.

The coaching staff has already had the broom put through it so from day 1 of pre season training the players will be hearing a new voice, new routines, new training structures, new mindset which I hope will improve the majority of our players. TBaz also has the advantage of starting with a clean slate, no perceived favourite players, and can draw a line in the sand and tell his 30 man squad that there are 17 positions up for grabs and those that work the hardest, buy into the program and show passion, committment, hunger and desire will be chosen, regardless if you are player number 1 or player number 30 on our roster.

I'm hoping that TBaz can install in the players that it is a privelage to play for our club and nobody gets a free ride into the side and performances do matter. I'm hoping by cleaning out the roster and bringing in new guys, and lets face it most won't be superstars, but new players bring enthusiasm and we want competition for every spot to keep pushing players to bring out their best every week

Like everyone else I'm over this season, but I am optimistic and hopeful and just a little excited to see what TBaz can bring us next season

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need a strike centre to partner Cotric. Is there any more talk of Gildart from England ? I think super league is our best chance to sign decent players without paying overs.

Charlie Staines is a realistic option now as he wants to play fullback and Panthers are loving Edwards. Hoopa is to slow and can't support.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was trying to think of realistic changes that the club needs to make for next year based on who is actually off contract and based on what a player can bring to the team. The key missing attributes that we need are Speed, Experience & a Winning culture

I get the feeling Burton & Staines are just playing us and to be honest as much as they are way better than anything we have, they are young and need more time , B Smith is the same playing us for money and i dont think he will come to us, so my thoughts are below

OUTS
Holland - going !
Montoya
DWZ
Katoa
Lafai
Tolman
Su
Hoppa - hurts to say but he is past it
Cogga

Release - Chrichton

INS
Addo Carr ( Fullback ) - at first i didn't like the idea, but he is the best player on the market. ! If he doesn't work at fullback move him back to the wing.
Tom Starling ( Hooker ) - next best hooker to B Smith that's on the market , reminds me of Cook.
John Asiata ( Lock ) - good ball playing lock and is good in D
Steven Masters ( Centre ) - really like this kid, will develop into a great centre, reminds me of Willie Talau
Sam McIntyre ( Middle ) - was the tigers best player over the last few weeks, tough kid and is developing well.
Tyrone May ( Half / Utility )- Could be a great genuine utility or half. Probably the most realistic signing out of the Penrith players
Patrick Herbert ( Wing ) - has lots of speed and can carry the ball out well.

Already signed - Wardell , Cotric & Green for half the season!
Great post!

I tend to think our biggest problem with our roster is our board.

Recruitment \ retention has been shocking and I have zero confidence in our board to make the right decisions in a timely manner.

For me the first thing that needs to change is a overhaul from the top down to assist in growth from the bottom up.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We are fucked for another year because so many shit players were extended, along with some getting overpaid despite regressing. R.Smith, DWZ, Lewis, Jackson, Napa, Elliot (arguably overpaid, wait and see) Stimson, S.Katoa. C.Smith. Spin it whatever way you like Covid/no reserves and our poor recruiting has fucked our roster for another year or so if we can't land Burton and other Panthers juniors.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Great post!

I tend to think our biggest problem with our roster is our board.

Recruitment \ retention has been shocking and I have zero confidence in our board to make the right decisions in a timely manner.

For me the first thing that needs to change is a overhaul from the top down to assist in growth from the bottom up.
As far as responsibility in overall management of the team and liason between team, coach, retention/recruitment Committee and Board that is on Price.

It appears to be a monumental failure really when you weigh up our results and roster.

Last edited:

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I would give Barrett the challenge of keeping 6 from the current crop of 30 and put the rest on the market. First player that needs to go is our captain followed by the cream puff soft forwards next and those woeful pretenders in our backline. I’m sick of watching these donkeys who can’t catch, pass or tackle.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The frightening thing is all those players last night are all contracted except Tolman....and who is gonna take them?

Tiges wised up unfortunately:grinning:

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The frightening thing is all those players last night are all contracted except Tolman....and who is gonna take them?

Lol
The tigers where our best customers. They have decoupled their ties with us after the lemons we sold them 2 years ago.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have another look I think u find at least 50% of last nights squad is of contract

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This is currently probably (imo) our team next season. You can change the positions around but these are going to be the players we're going to see. We need to shop around DWZ and Napa. We need to sign a top hooker at minimum. Other good additions would be another half, a winger and a prop. Until we do that we're going to struggle to be a top eight team. I still think we have a decent base to work with. We're just missing a few top players in key positions. We need to buy some top players and develop others as we don't have unlimited money. No reserve grade hurts us a lot as players like Schoupp, BBO, Seumanutafa and Topine are a year behind. A signing like Waddell doesn't change anything for our team. He'll just be in contention for a bench spot.

1. Jake Averillo
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. +Nick Cotric
4. William Hopoate
5. Jayden Okunbor/Reimis Smith/Nick Meaney/Aaron Schoupp
6. +Blake Green
7. Brandon Wakeham/Bailey Biondi-Odo
8. Luke Thompson
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Renouf To'omaga
11. Josh Jackson
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Adam Elliott

14. Matt Doorey
15. Ofahiki Ogden/Devontai Seumanutafa
16. Dylan Napa
17. Joe Stimson/Jackson Topine

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well if you believe any of the rumours our 2021 squad will be
1. Averillo
2. Jac
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. Staines
6. Burton
7. Green
8. Pangai jr
9. Brandon smith
10. Thompson
11. Jackson
12. Rfm
13. Elliot
14. Benji marshall
15. Ofahengue
16. Napa
17. Waddell

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
This is currently probably (imo) our team next season. You can change the positions around but these are going to be the players we're going to see. We need to shop around DWZ and Napa. We need to sign a top hooker at minimum. Other good additions would be another half, a winger and a prop. Until we do that we're going to struggle to be a top eight team. I still think we have a decent base to work with. We're just missing a few top players in key positions. We need to buy some top players and develop others as we don't have unlimited money. No reserve grade hurts us a lot as players like Schoupp, BBO, Seumanutafa and Topine are a year behind. A signing like Waddell doesn't change anything for our team. He'll just be in contention for a bench spot.

1. Jake Averillo
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. +Nick Cotric
4. William Hopoate
5. Jayden Okunbor/Reimis Smith/Nick Meaney/Aaron Schoupp
6. +Blake Green
7. Brandon Wakeham/Bailey Biondi-Odo
8. Luke Thompson
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Renouf To'omaga
11. Josh Jackson
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Adam Elliott

14. Matt Doorey
15. Ofahiki Ogden/Devontai Seumanutafa
16. Dylan Napa
17. Joe Stimson/Jackson Topine
Already better without Lewis & Tolman. Jackson struggles on the edge now. I think and also hope Baz swaps Elliot to the edge for Jackson. But in any case that won’t be the team above as we have 6 or 7 spots vacant. There will be some new faces.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well if you believe any of the rumours our 2021 squad will be
1. Averillo
2. Jac
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. Staines
6. Burton
7. Green
8. Pangai jr
9. Brandon smith
10. Thompson
11. Jackson
12. Rfm
13. Elliot
14. Benji marshall
15. Ofahengue
16. Napa
17. Waddell
In order: Smith, Burton, Ofahengaue (I'd prefer Welch), JAC. You can flip Ofahengaue (or Welch) and JAC, not sure tbh. The rest I wouldn't be targetting. TPJ is staying at the Broncos.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Already better without Lewis & Tolman. Jackson struggles on the edge now. I think and also hope Baz swaps Elliot to the edge for Jackson. But in any case that won’t be the team above as we have 6 or 7 spots vacant. There will be some new faces.
Yeah, just currently. It doesn't change much unless we sign top or promising players. A signing like Waddell does very little. I don't mind swapping Jackson and Elliott, it depends if you want a better attacking lock or not (I prefer an attacking lock but I'm cool either way).

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately we're stuck with DWZ "on fullback money" reportedly til the end of 2022. Unless we're happy to again pay former players to play against us he's not going anywhere. No other club is going to pay more than 50% of his salary. Similar story with Jackson but an even longer contract and he's probably on even more money. Similar story with Thompson but at least there's some chance he will improve.

Off contract end of 2020
Jack Cogger, Kieran Foran, Tim Lafai, Marcelo Montoya, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass, Aiden Tolman

Off contract end of 2021
Jake Averillo, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Blake Green, Will Hopoate, Sione Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Smith, Reimis Smith, Renouf To'omaga

Off contract end of 2022
Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Joe Stimson, Brandon Wakeham, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

Looks like at the end of this year we'll be shedding Foran, Tolman, Holland, Cogger, and Montoya at least.

Before this November the club needs to bite a bullet and decide to shed at the end of next season Britt, Crichton, Green. Hopoate, Katoa, Lewis, JMK, Napa, C Smith, and R Smith. Hopa is a decent player but he's just too slow / average to make line breaks and create tries. If we can do without Foran we can do without Hopa.

An absolute must is one of the hookers below for next year. If we fail to sign any of these then our recruitment team surely must be the worst in the league - B Smith, McInnes, Clarke, Stirling, Api

Another absolute must have is Burton. All our eggs are in one basket on him though which concerns me so we better f..king get him.

Staines or Alert Hopoate for fullback but personally I'd like to see Josh Ado-Carr. F.. we need strike power in the backs and he's agile enough to do more than a decent job. Really we should be able to afford both JAC and Staines. Keep Meaney as a back up also.

We need a large body prop like Addin Fonua-Blake and a strong running large edge forward like Tupouniua from the Roosters.

If we can't have assemble a team for 2022 like the one below "at minimum" then our recruitment team has failed IMO

1 JAC
2 Charlie Staines
3 Nick Cotric
4 Oliver Gildart
5 Jayden Okunbor
6 Matt Burton
7 Jake Averillo / Brandon Wakeham
8 AFB
9 Brandon Smith
10 Ofahiki Ogden
11 Sitili Tupouniua / TPJ
12 Renouf Toomaga
13 Luke Thompson

Last edited:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, just currently. It doesn't change much unless we sign top or promising players. A signing like Waddell does very little.
On face value that is true but if you are reading the play it’s looking obvious Baz wants to clean the place out and start again (besides a few) Waddell also won’t have Des telling him how to play a specific way he’ll have the freedom in attack that Baz perspective brings.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Unfortunately we're stuck with DWZ "on fullback money" reportedly til the end of 2022. Unless we're happy to again pay former players to play against us he's not going anywhere. No other club is going to pay more than 50% of his salary. Similar story with Jackson but an even longer contract and he's probably on even more money. Similar story with Thompson but at least there's some chance he will improve.

Off contract end of 2020
Jack Cogger, Kieran Foran, Tim Lafai, Marcelo Montoya, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass, Aiden Tolman

Off contract end of 2021
Jake Averillo, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Blake Green, Will Hopoate, Sione Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Smith, Reimis Smith, Renouf To'omaga

Off contract end of 2022
Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Joe Stimson, Brandon Wakeham, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

Looks like at the end of this year we'll be shedding Foran, Tolman, Holland, Cogger, and Montoya at least.

Before this November the club needs to bite a bullet and decide to shed at the end of next season Britt, Crichton, Green. Hopoate, Katoa, Lewis, JMK, Napa, C Smith, and R Smith. Hopa is a decent player but he's just too slow / average to make line breaks and create tries. If we can do without Foran we can do without Hopa.

An absolute must is one of the hookers below for next year. If we fail to sign any of these then our recruitment team surely must be the worst in the league - B Smith, McInnes, Clarke, Stirling, Api

Another absolute is Burton.

Staines or Alert Hopoate for fullback but personally I'd like to see Josh Ado-Carr. F.. we need strike power in the backs and he's agile enough to do more than a decent job. Really we should be able to afford both JAC and Staines. eep Meaney as a back up also.

We need a large body prop like Addin Fonua-Blake and a strong running large edge forward like Tupouniua from the Roosters.

If we can't have assemble a team for 2022 lie the one below "at minimum" then our recruitment teams have failed IMO

1 JAC
2 Charlie Staines
3 Nick Cotric
4 Oliver Gildart
5 Jayden Okunbor
6 Matt Burton
7 Jake Averillo / Brandon Wakeham
8 AFB
9 Brandon Smith
10 Ofahiki Ogden
11 Sitili Tupouniua / TPJ
12 Renouf Toomaga
13 Luke Thompson
Smith (regardless if Smith plays on or not), Grant (if Smith plays on), Clarke and Starling are the only "realistic" (not really) options for a top hooker (Not sure if Clark even is a top hooker, Starling isn't either). McInnes and Koroisau are no chance.

I wouldn't be so harsh in regards to recruitment. I think if we sign a top hooker (almost has to be Smith) and a few other good additions (starters) in positions we need to upgrade it's a pass.