Will Burton ever be our Fittler or Lockyer?

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Locky started at Fullback in one of the greatest broncos teams ever assembled. Maybe he was just better than Burton will ever be anyway but have a go at some of the players he had around him and the coach. I’m a big Ciro fan but he’s only just starting himself. If Burto stayed at Penrith and replaced Luai what sort of player would he be now. I thought he and a few others had solid games yesterday we just made way too many silly errors.
Not so

Lockyer made his professional first-grade debut with the Brisbane Broncos from the bench as an eighteen-year-old five-eighth in a 60-14 thrashing of the Parramatta Eels in Round 13 of the 1995 ARL season.[11] In this game he threw a try assist to Steve Renouf, a combination which would blossom over the next few seasons. He went on to be named the 1995 Brisbane Broncos season's rookie of the year, playing 11 games at centre, five-eighth and off the bench. Lockyer was moved permanently to the fullback position by coach Wayne Bennett at the beginning of the 1997 Super League season

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Not so

Lockyer made his professional first-grade debut with the Brisbane Broncos from the bench as an eighteen-year-old five-eighth in a 60-14 thrashing of the Parramatta Eels in Round 13 of the 1995 ARL season.[11] In this game he threw a try assist to Steve Renouf, a combination which would blossom over the next few seasons. He went on to be named the 1995 Brisbane Broncos season's rookie of the year, playing 11 games at centre, five-eighth and off the bench. Lockyer was moved permanently to the fullback position by coach Wayne Bennett at the beginning of the 1997 Super League season

What are you going on about ? He started his career as a fullback in an elite system with one of the greatest coaches of all time. SMH….

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fittler and Lockyer never had to play with Flanno behind a beaten pack. Burto gets no space because he other teams know he is our only threat. The fact he is still able to create anything is amazing. Put Hynes in our team and result is the same IMO. Partnering burto with an experienced 7 should have been the priority from the start. Inept management

spaced_monkey

Waterboy
Reaction score
Fittler had Greg Alexander. Lockyer had Langer and Walters. This kid is 23 with about 40 games under his belt playing with half a team of Reggies. I liked his involvement at 7 this week. Gotta think long term

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton's stats the last 4 games.. This is despite us getting smashed the last 3 games and him having some average games in there..

2 trys, 3 try assists, 1 line break, 2 line break assists, 1 game winning field goal, 8 tackle busts, 2 offloads, 87 running metres a game, 390 kicking metres a game.

He's made 71 tackles, missed 7 which is a huge improvement on his first 4 games defensively.. He's made 4 errors and given away 6 penalties which is too many..

Maybe he's not going as bad as some people think. Again, he's nowhere near top form and he has things to work on. But he's the least of our problems right now.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The centre cause that’s all he is and ever will be he isn’t a halve

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The centre cause that’s all he is and ever will be he isn’t a halve
Who are you replacing him with? Not just at our club but from other clubs? I suppose these magical unicorn halves that grow on trees that are available and supposedly better than him are in unlimited supply?

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These guys didn't need a halfback to shine. They were the chief playmakers in their team and made the rest of the team look good. I've seen enough of Burton to know that he's talented but he's just not a playmaker and doesn't deserve to be our highest paid player.
Compare him to other modern marquees like Hynes or Munster, there's always something happening when they get their hands on the ball. You don't get that with Burton because he simply lacks creativity. When was the last time you saw Burton put someone through a hole? All his try assists this year have been through kicks.

I'm really concerned about the clubs faith in Burton, we need to go after someone else and let Burton be a cog in the wheel.
NO!!!

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do people remember Lockyer when he first burst out on the seen , bit like Edwards for Penrith very very average early in their careers.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
So far for me Burton is a great centre, who may or may not also be a good half in the future. But he has a ways to go. Probably overpaid for where he is at in the halves. Maybe he will do better when he is paired with an organising half, because he couldnt organise a root in a brothel. And Flanno even moreso, he couldnt even find the brothel. Both our halves are running halves. Even Reynolds is a running half. We need an organiser.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do people remember Lockyer when he first burst out on the seen , bit like Edwards for Penrith very very average early in their careers.
If Lockyer was a Bulldogs player, half the fans would write him off as a dud after a few games and complain that he can't master one position because he gets moved around so much. People forget that Lockyer had growing pains too.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Filter and Lockyer weren’t chief playmakers.. they were traditional running 5/8’s who always played outside a good halfback and forward pack… give the kid a chance, he’s still young and from what I saw yesterday I think yes he will be.. he wasn’t the one dropping the ball or giving away penalties for offside.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well he's got a full head of hair so that immediately rules out him from ever becoming grampa lockyer