Opinion Why not put Lewis in the centres?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis -> Centre
Hoppa -> Halfback
JMK -> Bench
Lewis > Lock
Elliot > Centre
Utai -> Hooker

That should solve most our issues

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d take Cogger or Averillo over JMK every day of the week in the halves. JMK is a faster version of Lewis he is so premeditated in his play and lacks any type of vision and creativity.

Lewis, Cogger and JMK have all had a fair go at getting a halves spot and none have taken their chances. We aren’t winning the comp or making the 8 this year so I’d rather give Wakeham and Averillo the shot and see if they take their chance.
Good point, I have no problems with that
I simply opted for the safer option defensively

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good point, I have no problems with that
I simply opted for the safer option defensively
Yeah I can see where you’re coming from with the defence side of things but we have been doing that for the last 2 years and it’s getting us no where. If Wakeham and Averillo get us no where at least we know we don’t have the solution in the club before next year.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Because our middle third aren't really dominate along with our hooker. So naturally our centres won't have much room to work with, so picking a centre with zero running game will cause alot of issues in attack. Also defending at centre is arguably the hardest position to defend in the game, even though Lewis is a good defender I think he'd struggle with knowing when to jam in or hold.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ridiculous idea mate.
Playing people in their correct position right? How crazy.

Reimis to wing, Lewis next to him in the centre. Meaney to FB, DWZ to ball boy.

Wakeham and Cogger in the halves. Cogger went really well last year. Averillo is good so we can use him too.

Dont know why Pay is persisting with forcing lewis to play as a half when we have 2 better alternatives.Nothing against lewis he is a good player just not in the 7.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Playing people in their correct position right? How crazy.

Reimis to wing, Lewis next to him in the centre. Meaney to FB, DWZ to ball boy.

Wakeham and Cogger in the halves. Cogger went really well last year. Averillo is good so we can use him too.

Dont know why Pay is persisting with forcing lewis to play as a half when we have 2 better alternatives.Nothing against lewis he is a good player just not in the 7.
Slow, weak and no passing game

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoppa was brilliant at fb and you wanna move him fmd

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belmore we have problems...
Our attack is too slow or ill-directed...a real hooker is needed !
Pay must have the courage and trust his full squad.
I believe our immediate solutions should be...
1 Meaney........more suited to fullback
2 Smith...........not a centre
3 DWZ............will strengthen the defence
4 Hopoate
5 Chrichton
6 JMK.............has more speed than Lewis, reliable.
7 Wakeham
8 Tolma
9 Katoa..........he is a hooker, it's what he is here for
10 To'omaga...he would provide the go forward
11 Britt...........has proved himself worthy
12 Jackson
13 Elliott

14 Averillo / Cogger / Lewis hard decicion
15 Napa better impact of the bench
16 RFM
17 Ogden keeps the momentum up
Stimson needs to be told the break is over...get fitter
Agree on the hooker bit,did jmk play today ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis did play a lot of lower grade footy at centre from memory but yes I agree he's too slow for that position in NRL. He would be great in defense at hooker but he doesn't have the running game or passing game. Not creative enough to be a full time half. I'm unsure if Wakeham can kick long. Cogger can only kick short from memory. Foran has suspect hamstrings so likely the reason he doesn't kick much. So seems maybe Pay has Lewis for distance kicks / bombs. Lewis could definitely handle the tackling at lock but I can't imagine him taking hit-ups (maybe it's the haircut). Would like to see Pay try Wakeham and Foran together and see how we go. Maybe we can do well enough without Lewis' long kicks and defense.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Britts last two games have been terrible - missed a lot of tackles against St George - unless in the middle he appears to lack the lateral movement n speed to defend one on one. Lewis on the bench, at best, just to do as much defensive work as possible instead of Britt.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still say he could be a handy 14.
Work on some dummy half play

rock solid defense. Handy general play kicker.

Then covers 3,4,6,7,13,12,11,9

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have defended Lewis being in the team and will continue to do so for now. But you would have to be his mother to think he will be a long term Halfback. Despite the haters comments any coach would have been happy with his performance last night (the first 10 minutes aside) but her wasn't the only one to have a bad start to the game. The reality is he needs to mold himself into another position or he will be gone in the NRL. I did read that someone mentioned this new faster NRL style of game may suit the smaller locks and with some work maybe a lot of work he could move to lock. Only time will tell. He may just mold out of the game altogether which some on here are hoping for.