Why Kieran Foran chose Manly over Des Hasler and stayed with the Sea Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...manly-sea-eagles/story-fni3gnk1-1226731807123

KIERAN Foran has opened up about why he turned down the chance to reunite with Des Hasler at the Bulldogs last year to stay at Manly.
He admits it was like trying to choose between your father and your brothers - but the special bond that kept him at the club will again be the Sea Eagles’ secret weapon in Sunday’s Grand Final.

Foran’s combination with Daly Cherry-Evans is today rated the best halves partnership in the game and, at 23 and 24 respectively, this will be their second grand final together after their win under Hasler in 2011.

But Foran’s decision to stay ended up being the best move he never made.

The tough five-eighth had a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave once Hasler was no longer coaching Manly.

He admits he was a phone call away from reuniting with his old coach at the Bulldogs but as much as he felt drawn to Hasler he said he just couldn’t walk away from his teammates.

Kieran Foran in action for the Sea Eagles. Picture: Brett Costello
"When I came to Manly, Dessy was such a big influence on the club, that is all I kind of ever knew,” Foran explained.

"And then when he left I just thought it would never happen, not in my wildest dreams.

"I thought I would play at Manly the rest of my life and Des Hasler would be the coach.

"So when that happened it was a big change to my life.

"Look, that was a tough time.

Manly Sea Eagles' run to the Grand Final 3:19 Play video Manly have shown that experience counts in big matches, forging their way into the NRL Grand Final for the fourth time in seven years.
Fox Sports
30 September 2013
Sport/NRL Sport/NRL/NRL Premiership/Previews & Reviews

news+Hi, to access news+ premium content, please Continue "I’ve got so many great mates, I didn’t want to leave them.

"I just needed time to sit back and think what this club was about and what actually made it so special.

"And when I got down to the finer points it was about this culture.

"The players, the boys that have been here for so many years, I didn’t want to walk away from that."

So he stayed with Manly and the rest is now history.

NRL Grand Final match-ups: The halves 0:50 Play video A mouthwatering battle is set to take place between the halves combinations of Manly and the Roosters on Sunday night in the NRL Grand Final.
Fox Sports
30 September 2013
Sport/NRL Sport/NRL/NRL Premiership/Previews & Reviews

news+Hi, to access news+ premium content, please Continue Plenty of people have been amazed by the courage that has inspired their charge through the finals after Manly were basically given up for dead three weeks ago.

But courageous back-to-back wins over Cronulla and Souths have them today being hailed as one of the bravest teams ever assembled.

And evidence of that commitment to each other was on show the day Foran turned down Hasler’s offer.

Many of his teammates including halves partner Cherry-Evans had him gone to the Bulldogs for sure.

"From my personal conversations with Kieran he was obviously pretty much gone," Cherry-Evans said this week.

“So for him to have something click and have him stay was huge for the club.

"I am very, very happy that Kieran made that decision to stay.

"I’d hate to see him play for any other club because I think he is the sort of guy this team needs for the next seven to 10 years.

"He is a competitor. It doesn’t matter if it is on or off the field, he is a competitive guy.

"And above all that he is a good person.

"He means well, he is kind-hearted, he would do no wrong by his teammates or his family.

"He is the sort of person I enjoy being around and the sort of person I’d have to have this relationship with for the rest of my life."

Foran added: "It was just about me making a decision that I thought was best for my footy and my life and when I added those things up it was to stay at Manly.

"This is a great footy club. I have great mates here, blokes I hope to be mates with for years to come and I just didn’t want to walk away from that.

"That is the culture I’m talking about. Blokes like 'Choc' Watmough, Jason King, Brent Kite, Glenn Stewart, Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai - they have built this culture and that is who I give the credit to.

"They have built this up for eight or nine years and now all of a sudden us young guys are coming through and we feed off that.’’

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reackon des will be hurting with all this hopefully get the ruthless des back next year ,hopefully motivates him to show them what hes got next year

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Best halves combo I have seen for a while.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
They make an amazing halves combo but the thing I don't understand is why Foran always looks like a fish out of water at International level... although, that could be Benji's fault. See how he plays with Johnson.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good for him and good for Manly fans, its a good story for them eagles.

They are a good paring combo and still young.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on him. I wish him well. As I said before, I don't hate the Manly team, barring a few players and their inbred, bogan supporters. I respect success and Manly have LEGITIMATELY (Hi, News Ltd Storm) been the most successful team the past decade.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Manly have a Dogs of war feel about them. They used to be well up there in chokers territory after being beaten in 1995 and 1997. I won't watch the Grand Final this weekend but I hope they win.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'll make the article shorter as to why he stayed:

"Manly paid me more"

end article.

We entered a bidding war with them, and Manly paid more .. simple as that.

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Manly are so lucky to have these two awesome halves on and off the field. Foran has been probably my favourite player (outside the dogs) this year, he is a true champion.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
I'll make the article shorter as to why he stayed:

"Manly paid me more"

end article.

We entered a bidding war with them, and Manly paid more .. simple as that.

Foran was as good as signed at one point, his father and DCE were basically convinced of it. I doubt the difference in offers would have been so great to put someone like him off signing with Des considering their relationship. Give the kid some credit for being loyal to his mates

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
They probably promised him Captaincy in the future as well.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Quite disturbed at how disloyal Dogs players are compared to other clubs.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lets just forget entirely how DCE held Manly at ransom last year. Same scenario as Barba, except Manly decided to bend over backwards and top up his contract.

In all honesty Barba might've chucked a hissy fit to get out of his contract, but 350K after the stellar year he had in 2012 its only natural the club should've topped up his contract. No way Barba was going to stay on that contract after 2012.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I always hate the "Disloyal" tag. I really like the company I work for but if someone offered me double to work for another company I'd take it in a heart beat.

A jobs a job and as long as it's legal, I don't see any issue with a person wanting more money for their retirement.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
The recurring theme is always money.
I can understand players leaving for more money if they are off contract.
The thing that annoys me is that the club has wanted to keep a lot of the players that left, and they chose to leave anyway.

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing that annoys me is that the club has wanted to keep a lot of the players that left, and they chose to leave anyway.
Yeah i have no answers why it keeps happening to us, the club does sound very reluctant to upgrade contracts and that sort of thing.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This annoys me too. Players have realised that they can get out of any contract if they start spouting "Compassion" to the media knowing full well that a club would rather break a contract than look like the bad guys, especially the Dogs who have worked so hard to look like a family club.

Status
Not open for further replies.