Why has the board decided to write off 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
We really only need to keep Jackson and Klemmer 100% from that list of players. If the others are too expensive then see you later. The problem will be that Jackson and Klemmer may baulk at staying with the club if we are still terrible and not contending for premierships
I doubt klem or jacko would walk. They have the option now. If our offer is good enough they wont leave.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which player has ratchet clauses?
I Don't know, but I believe at some point the club has confirmed the existence of ratchet clauses..

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think its taking a realistic approach, i wouldnt say they are writing off next year but realisically they know you'll be building, theres no way you or us for that matter will have a side to win the comp next year.
No point living in fantasy land and projecting unrealistic hopes to the fans, talking about winning comps etc.
Dez, Dib and Castle have left you guys up shit creek, much like Spagnolo did to us years ago.

Youll be right though, everything goes in cycles.

Id say you guys are locked into bottom 4 for certain next year as i predicted you to be this year.

I totally got it wrong about us this year though, and im worried about next year too, we might be joining you bottom 4 if we cant sort out our halves, hooker coaching staff and pack.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If I was in charge I'd splash whatever cash Fred up b this year onto front loading contracts that are hurting is in 2 years. Youth only policy in place for now. If we are lucky we might negotiate the release of someone with their club paying some freight.

Trying to guess what management are doing behind the scenes cap wise is like trying to guess the numbert of jelly beans in a jar without seeing how big the jar is. We don't know what we have to spend now so we don't know the size of the jar.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under NRL rules we have to be compliant to a $9.1 million – base salary cap for the Top 30 players. So lets break that down by using an approximation of how back ended deals fuck a club;

1. Mbye, Woods, Graham, Kasiano - We would still be paying $2 Million of their wage in 2019 extending into 2020 & potentially 2021....
2. Tolman, Foran, Klemmer & Jackson (Have to assume Des did nothing linear for marquee players.) would suck down a further $3.2 million in 2019
3. That then leaves 3.9 million for the remaining 26 players in our roster at approx 150,000 per player. (Minimum wage is 100,000 for anyone in the top 30.)
4. There is no chance players like Holland, Hoppa, Frawley, Elliott, RFM etc are sitting on minimum wage so you can see the sort of squeeze we would have because of what Des did.

The fact is all of our contracts are being realigned back to a linear payment over the life of the contract so I can fully understand that back ended deals on contracts that were 3 or 4 years are going to take 3 to 4 years to wash out. That is why we will be in pain and misery until 2021 approximately.
Our problem with this is other clubs can literally cherry pick any talent we do identify because we cannot compete with their offer. Martin & Klemmer will be 2 examples of players that leave because we cannot offer them their market value.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Under NRL rules we have to be compliant to a $9.1 million – base salary cap for the Top 30 players. So lets break that down by using an approximation of how back ended deals fuck a club;

1. Mbye, Woods, Graham, Kasiano - We would still be paying $2 Million of their wage in 2019 extending into 2020 & potentially 2021....
2. Tolman, Foran, Klemmer & Jackson (Have to assume Des did nothing linear for marquee players.) would suck down a further $3.2 million in 2019
3. That then leaves 3.9 million for the remaining 26 players in our roster at approx 150,000 per player. (Minimum wage is 100,000 for anyone in the top 30.)
4. There is no chance players like Holland, Hoppa, Frawley, Elliott, RFM etc are sitting on minimum wage so you can see the sort of squeeze we would have because of what Des did.

The fact is all of our contracts are being realigned back to a linear payment over the life of the contract so I can fully understand that back ended deals on contracts that were 3 or 4 years are going to take 3 to 4 years to wash out. That is why we will be in pain and misery until 2021 approximately.
Our problem with this is other clubs can literally cherry pick any talent we do identify because we cannot compete with their offer. Martin & Klemmer will be 2 examples of players that leave because we cannot offer them their market value.
Kasiano, Graham, Eastwood, Frawley, Tualau are all off the books in 2019.

We stop paying Mbye end of next yr..

Elliot, Tolman, Foran, Klemmer and Jacko would be the only guys hitting the bank balance

RFM was re-signed this yr so doubt his got a dick contract.

Basically if we can get rid of Tolman and Foran we should have no issues what so ever.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Kasiano, Graham, Eastwood, Frawley, Tualau are all off the books in 2019.

We stop paying Mbye end of next yr..

Elliot, Tolman, Foran, Klemmer and Jacko would be the only guys hitting the bank balance

RFM was re-signed this yr so doubt his got a dick contract.

Basically if we can get rid of Tolman and Foran we should have no issues what so ever.
There won't be many big name signings this year for 2019, but next year we should do better with the younger pups getting more experience. Heck let's start this week with JMK getting one on his older brother Benji!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What happened to the money we saved by releasing Woods and Mbye?
Surely we can buy another marquee player by the end of the year, maybe they are just waiting for a good deal, 2019 is not a write off and with the right energy this side can win plenty of games, most of our close games could of easily been wins with some luck.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I know for a fact we arent paying Kasiano or Graham a dollar next year..
I doubt current board would have paid more than 150K each for Woods/Mbye..

Everyone is panicking our team of nuffies are over the cap

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know for a fact we arent paying Kasiano or Graham a dollar next year..
I doubt current board would have paid more than 150K each for Woods/Mbye..

Everyone is panicking our team of nuffies are over the cap
One thing for sure
The board said they will not pay overs for any player to play at another club,
My inside info is they are only prepared to pay %10 of any players contract and in an extreme situation maximum %15.
Example:
Woods on $850k, club pays maximum $127k
Mbye on $700k, Club pays maximum $105k plus what is owing to him from previous years (back ended payments)
The good thing about these two leaving this year is the club might have paid them in full to clear some space for next year, or what ever they saved on the rest of this year goes towards other players back ended payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.