Why has the board decided to write off 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Given we are now well under the salary cap for 2019 why isn't rhe board out signing a big hard running lock/prop, a fast strong centre/fullback and most importantly a football smart No.9.
Instead we are forward loading contracts??? And not adding anything to the strength of the squad for 2019.
As it stands now we will start next season as short priced favorites for the wooden spoon.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given we are now well under the salary cap for 2019 why isn't rhe board out signing a big hard running lock/prop, a fast strong centre/fullback and most importantly a football smart No.9.
Instead we are forward loading contracts??? And not adding anything to the strength of the squad for 2019.
As it stands now we will start next season as short priced favorites for the wooden spoon.
I guess there are 2 possibilities first there arn't any quality game breakers available, secondly our new board might prefer the policy of BRED NOT BOUGHT.
Isn't it better to be patient and be sure than to make rash decisions which often fail, after all how did the quick fixes the old board tried to do finish up.

Last edited:

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What is the point of buying players for next season only to have to sell them again. 2020 is our problem year. I wrote about it in detail in another post a few days ago. We have our most expensive players all coming off contract on what any of us would assume would be heavily back ended contracts, if history is anything to go off. Klemmer, Foran, Jackson, Hoppa, Tolman, and Elliot all off contract. My estimates would be $6-7m just for those players.

We can't spend money next year. Simple. Frontloading is the only option.

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The club can’t buy anything cause we don’t have any cap.
All the offloading we did isn’t for free, we are still paying for woods and Mbye plus still paying for backend deals like klemmer, Jackson, Eliot and Foran,
This is why we are getting all the youth.
We got word on here during the week that the club is in fact well under the cap for next season and is front loading contracts.
Effectively making a deliberate decision not the strengthen the squad next season, maybe at the margin with the signing of fringe 1st graders.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
We got word on here during the week that the club is in fact well under the cap for next season and is front loading contracts.
Effectively making a deliberate decision not the strengthen the squad next season, maybe at the margin with the signing of fringe 1st graders.
Yeah The margin isn’t big enough to sign a quality player .

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I would rather forward load contracts so we start fresh

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well we signed an unwanted Titan so expect us to be Premiership favourites next year

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The club can’t buy anything cause we don’t have any cap.
All the offloading we did isn’t for free, we are still paying for woods and Mbye plus still paying for backend deals like klemmer, Jackson, Eliot and Foran,
This is why we are getting all the youth.
Why would we be back ending Elliott's contract?
He shouldn't be on any more than $250k a season.
And he's lucky to get that!!!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the point of buying players for next season only to have to sell them again. 2020 is our problem year. I wrote about it in detail in another post a few days ago. We have our most expensive players all coming off contract on what any of us would assume would be heavily back ended contracts, if history is anything to go off. Klemmer, Foran, Jackson, Hoppa, Tolman, and Elliot all off contract. My estimates would be $6-7m just for those players.

We really only need to keep Jackson and Klemmer 100% from that list of players. If the others are too expensive then see you later. The problem will be that Jackson and Klemmer may baulk at staying with the club if we are still terrible and not contending for premierships

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We really only need to keep Jackson and Klemmer 100% from that list of players. If the others are too expensive then see you later. The problem will be that Jackson and Klemmer may baulk at staying with the club if we are still terrible and not contending for premierships
That is the lesser problem. The real problem is that the others have contracts that we must honour and that other clubs will not take them off us. Foran on $1m a season. Good luck with that one.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would we be back ending Elliott's contract?
He shouldn't be on any more than $250k a season.
And he's lucky to get that!!!
You're answering your own question. He SHOULDN'T be on more than $250k a season but he was signed by Hasler so who knows what he was signed on.

Also where is the "word that we're under the cap" coming from that you refer to. If it's from someone on here you're willing to take that as gospel yet not willing to believe media reports. No-one would know the position other than the board and players.

I know you've been pushing this agenda in quite alot of threads but as I've asked before - if the club has so much money to splash around what's the benefit of not signing quality players and struggling through with fringe players and being in the bottom 4.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We arent over the cap and we werent over the cap before we let Woods & Mbye go..

But unless your an unproven player looking for a chance or your a player down the peking order at another club - why would you want to come here now?

We do have some good points we can use:
Rookie coach
Battling for spoon with finals no chance
No other real stars apart from Klemmer
Minimal TPAs

Welcome to Belmore enjoy your stay

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Your estimates for 6 players taking up 6-7 million are way off it’s ridiculous

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At least the club is taking a responsible stance in the matter. We have had to fight hard to dig ourselves out of the predicament that the club has been left in by the deeds of the three ( or more) amigos so I doubt we will want to have to be facing the same situation and to a similar degree again. Front ending those back ended deals makes greater sense than facing the 2019/2020 when a great majority of the squad ( including Klem Jacko ) are at the end of their contracts. Yes, some of those players will not be kept but prices of those we may want to retain will only increase. At least one of them is a fairly substantial contract which other clubs won't want to pay the major freight for so unless we have another avenue to explore which will allow us to move him on, or he lifts his act, we are stuck with him..( no names, no pack drills)

Fa'amanu Brown, Danny Fualalo, Michael Lichaa, Ofahiki Ogden, John Olive, Reimis Smith, Francis Tualau

7 players off contract

Jarred Anderson, Jack Cogger, Adam Elliott, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Kieran Foran, Kerrod Holland, Will Hopoate, Josh Jackson, David Klemmer, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Marcelo Montoya, Renouf To'omaga, Aiden Tolman

14 players off contract

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
You're answering your own question. He SHOULDN'T be on more than $250k a season but he was signed by Hasler so who knows what he was signed on.

Also where is the "word that we're under the cap" coming from that you refer to. If it's from someone on here you're willing to take that as gospel yet not willing to believe media reports. No-one would know the position other than the board and players.

I know you've been pushing this agenda in quite alot of threads but as I've asked before - if the club has so much money to splash around what's the benefit of not signing quality players and struggling through with fringe players and being in the bottom 4.
Yes the inside word came from here.
The Q & A with the board.
Given Klemmer is our only genuine star and he thinks he's getting underpaid where is our cap going?
Who are we spending it on?
So you don't think the club is sitting on it's hands about next season?
I was a big advocate for getting Foran, but so far that gamble has failed and nobody including Foran himself could be confident that his body will be right next season.
As it stands now for 2019 we have the weakest most inexperienced squad in the NRL by a country mile.
And
Hopoate/Meade
Foran
Lewis/Cogger
Lichaa/JMK/Brown
Potential to improve from this season yes, good enough to challenge for the premiership nooooo...
I can't help but feel money is being held back (i.e. front loading contracts) so that there is a big bucket of money there to recruit players when Ben Anderson is appointed Coach.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think the board is stupid you’d be surprised, I’m sure they are planning something to help the club and please the fans. Be patient, imagine still having woods, mbye, Eastwood and going in 2019 literally paying more of our salary cap for big average inconsistent players with no heart.. atleast now there is some mongrel in them for once. Disruptive year

Status
Not open for further replies.