Why don’t we tap into NFL discards?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
One thing I’ve never understood is why don’t rugby league try tapping into the black American talent pool? I mention Black specifically because of the speed genetics.
We make a fuss as a league about scouting kids climbing coconut trees in Fiji and making them special wingers, how many stories have we seen of ‘player x never picked up a football 5 years ago blah blah’ and they become good wingers before puzzling off to Union lol

my logic is this,
Every year so many fast well built 20 somethings are cast aside in the nfl. When you’re cut before you have risen, you’re pretty much gone for good.
Yes some players will kick on in the Canadian football league but that’s a small few.
Others are players as fast as JAC who can no doubt catch a ball, so why not make them a project?
A lot of these guys end up leaving sport in general as a result of their cutthroat system, remember one nfl team would account for the entire nrl player ppl on numbers, and end up going back to where they came from where they often find themselves mixed in crime, become drug lords or pimps. It’s sad and it’s well documented this happens a lot.

Not to mention I think it will generate a lot of positive buzz and PR with the Black Lives Matter movement. Having a character uniquely American like that has cult hero written all over it.
Why does this never get tried?
What am I missing?

Last edited:

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The knights tried some nfl American winger who I think was called Greg smith and he fucking sucked lol

I do see your point though if we were able to scout the right talent.

I’m just not sure the money would be good enough of a lure

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will find that our better players, started off running the ball and tackling at age 3-4, only the very talented, can make it if they start 17-18.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The knights tried some nfl American winger who I think was called Greg smith and he fucking sucked lol

I do see your point though if we were able to scout the right talent.

I’m just not sure the money would be good enough of a lure
Yes but these guys getting cut aren’t anything. They are going back to the hood not to proper jobs. Some would for sure but a big chunk would have no plan B. So money shouldnt be an issue.
Greg Smith was a little different. He was very skinny and he lied his way in. He wasn’t an NFL player.
Amazingly, in 1997 it was still possible to lie your way into first grade.

carkin isles is someone who made the junk to Union and is a star. Runs 109m in 10.2 elusive as a fly.
If he didn’t give 7s Union a go, he might be a pimp named Slickback Or in gaol or both for all I know?

league isn’t a very complicated sport - if yiu have the physical gifts like Semi or Sivo you can be a great player in a few short years

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes but these guys getting cut aren’t anything. They are going back to the hood not to proper jobs. Some would for sure but a big chunk would have no plan B. So money shouldnt be an issue.
Greg Smith was a little different. He was very skinny and he lied his way in. He wasn’t an NFL player.
Amazingly, in 1997 it was still possible to lie your way into first grade.

carkin isles is someone who made the junk to Union and is a star. Runs 109m in 10.2 elusive as a fly.
If he didn’t give 7s Union a go, he might be a pimp named Slickback Or in gaol or both for all I know?

league isn’t a very complicated sport - if yiu have the physical gifts like Semi or Sivo you can be a great player in a few short years
slickback.jpg

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
'Fijians climbing coconut trees' are playing Rugby since they can walk. African Americans have no interest in Rugby or Rugby League. Nasheed, you are an idiot.
The development of junior pathways for a foreign sport with much less financial incentive to any US professional sport will never attract the best athletes.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
'Fijians climbing coconut trees' are playing Rugby since they can walk. African Americans have no interest in Rugby or Rugby League. Nasheed, you are an idiot.
The development of junior pathways for a foreign sport with much less financial incentive to any US professional sport will never attract the best athletes.
i only saw this because someone bumped it
White bloke masquerading as a lebo on a bulldogs forum - clearly has some sort of mental problems
Reminds me of that bloke who thought he was a cyborg on the dr phil show
but its just more race baiting the nets getting a bit wider now.

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
Mods why has there been no action on this racist person yet?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
But by the same logic I can say these guys have been playing with an NFL ball since they can walk.
And the financial part is irrelevant because their dreams would be dashed if they are cut.
Once the NFL is dead what does a linebacker do?
I think a potential 300k contract playing in Oz might look very attractive.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When are ppl going to learn that RASHEED is just a mass baiter