Opinion Why does this always happen?

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because when it comes to all teams being treated fairly and equally the NRL competition, it's officiating and adjudicating is all a complete farce. Not only are we currently in the 'have nots' but we are also hated by plenty of people.

I go in to every game understanding that we have to win well because we have to also beat the refs. Not making excuses because we are bad at the moment, but it is the reality of our situation.
Agree with this mate. Dean Pay's words about the officials still stick with me to this day. When he said that "It feels like we aren't supposed to win" I was cheering him on because he stated the obvious. Yes we were horrible last night but my god the official was just as bad.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because when it comes to all teams being treated fairly and equally the NRL competition, it's officiating and adjudicating is all a complete farce. Not only are we currently in the 'have nots' but we are also hated by plenty of people.

I go in to every game understanding that we have to win well because we have to also beat the refs. Not making excuses because we are bad at the moment, but it is the reality of our situation.
Everyone gets treated fairly . . .And the better you are,the more fairly you're treated

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
amazes me that you honestly think we’re being treated the same as penrith and melbourne for example but you do you
We are being treated exactly the same, we just play poorly and make silly desperate mistakes, and for the most part, beat ourselves.
Whinging that we are being victimized is just a pathetic excuse by non-performing know nothing keyboard coaches.
(20 years as a coach from minis to seniors tells me this)

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from mate but we just cop inexplicable decisions against us on a weekly basis. Calls that you would never see happen to other teams and you could pass them off as a 'blunder' if it just happened once, but it doesn't. Some examples off the top of my head:

We get the ball off a short kick off. Flanagan goes to ground and is jumped on by Kikau who then realises he is close to the sideline so he picks him up and throws him over the sideline. ANY other team, this is a penalty, but for us, it's a turnover.

Jerome Luai was a meter and a half offside when Cleary put up that bomb last night that Dufty fumbled.

Older examples:
Round 2 vs broncos the Corey Oates obstruction which led to the match winning try.

Round 3 vs manly.. I think it was waddell taking a hit up on our goal line. Gets driven back and gets pinned against the posts. He relaxes due to all motion coming to a stop for several seconds. Manly then push him back into the ingoals and ref calls a drop out.

Last year when we beat the sharks for our first win, sharks made an error and Flanagan pats the player on the head to rub it in. Instead of calling an error, he penalised Kyle and gave the sharks the ball despite making the error.

Dean Pay error vs Melbourne.. we score a late try 10m in from sideline and have a kick to level the game. Sutton moves the mark for the goal kick to right on the touchline despite try being scored 10m in. We miss the kick and lose by 2.

There's plenty more examples and these at things that I've NEVER seen happen to anyone else.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In last night's game I saw thommo (I think) with a clear grip of the ball being carried by one of Penrith players. He was there for eternity and had Penrith player held upright. Our second defender failed to peel off and it was like thommo didn't even think to strip it one on one.. again fundamentals.. storm do about 3 successful one on one strips per game.. if not more.
maattteeeeeeee, we lucky to kick on the last.
Shudder to think how many repeat sets we earnt this year.
Last strip I seen from a Bulldog was Terry Lamb a million years ago.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
It happens to several "minnow" clubs as the NRL is now an agenda. The sooner those clubs band together to bring it to a head the better. Failing that another super league battle to reset the game.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We feature in every category and lead the league in set restarts conceded

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our play the balls are the slowest in the comp. TPJ made some good runs on the weekend only to be rolled onto his back and make a slow play the ball. I can’t recall seeing a quick play the ball in the attacking zone hence the inability to score points.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Because we’re not taught to play smarter. Our smaller guys try to wrestle when taking a hit up and try to push for meters when they should be aiming to accept the tackle and go for a quick play the ball. They should be running low and hard and aim to get back in their feet quick. But it all goes to shit when your dummy half cannot take advantage of a quick play the ball to promote momentum and is clueless what to do with the ball.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
We need to hump the ground like Michael Hancock and the refs will notice. We don't even sell it, we just let opposition players lay all over us.
If we do that, our players will be gassed after 10 mins.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from mate but we just cop inexplicable decisions against us on a weekly basis. Calls that you would never see happen to other teams and you could pass them off as a 'blunder' if it just happened once, but it doesn't. Some examples off the top of my head:

We get the ball off a short kick off. Flanagan goes to ground and is jumped on by Kikau who then realises he is close to the sideline so he picks him up and throws him over the sideline. ANY other team, this is a penalty, but for us, it's a turnover.

Jerome Luai was a meter and a half offside when Cleary put up that bomb last night that Dufty fumbled.

Older examples:
Round 2 vs broncos the Corey Oates obstruction which led to the match winning try.

Round 3 vs manly.. I think it was waddell taking a hit up on our goal line. Gets driven back and gets pinned against the posts. He relaxes due to all motion coming to a stop for several seconds. Manly then push him back into the ingoals and ref calls a drop out.

Last year when we beat the sharks for our first win, sharks made an error and Flanagan pats the player on the head to rub it in. Instead of calling an error, he penalised Kyle and gave the sharks the ball despite making the error.

Dean Pay error vs Melbourne.. we score a late try 10m in from sideline and have a kick to level the game. Sutton moves the mark for the goal kick to right on the touchline despite try being scored 10m in. We miss the kick and lose by 2.

There's plenty more examples and these at things that I've NEVER seen happen to anyone else.
I agree with you. It's the many occasions when nobody gets a penalty except for the time it's against us or conversely penalized every time but against us things that piss me off. I usually notice in most games that one team gets reffed harshly. It's a big part of the reason I find it hard to love the game anymore. 10 years ago I'd watch almost every game I had time to see, now I mostly watch ours due to the emotional attachment I can't break away from. Even international and origin games hit the point where I can't watch due to inconsistent reffing.

It happens to several "minnow" clubs as the NRL is now an agenda. The sooner those clubs band together to bring it to a head the better. Failing that another super league battle to reset the game.
It can be explained in one word "betting agency involvement". It's a huge conflict of interest to have a sports betting partner closely affiliated with any sport. Since this all became a thing we see new grey areas open up for referee discretion and even this bullshit where coaches can cop fines for saying the ref fucking cheated.

In saying all of this, we weren't good enough this or last week to come close to winning. But the two weeks prior we were reffed out of the games.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cause our players are lazy and know nothing about quick play of ball

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We are not smart enough with the ball to isolate defenders 1 on 1 or 2 def on 1, we are allways gang tackled. Smarter well drilled sides play faster every set due to this, we dont ,simples.
Oh, there’s not a lot of smarts in our team full stop!! However you have to think Kyle has a very good footy brain. I’m glad he got another shot.. we can definitely get better moving forward if he doesn’t go back into his shell!!