Opinion Why did we let go of Reimis Smith?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His mgr held the club to ransom and he was on waay too much money. We likely paid cause if we lost him we would have had more Holltoyas playing for us.
i think JAC in 22 isn't on much more than reimis was on and was probably on more than JAC is on currently.
Plus he was a sulker

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I just watched the highlights from the game.

He scored 2, but Maumalo had a Hattrick on his edge as he was constantly out of position.

He'll be great for Melbourne in the regular season, but I can see him being the weak link in an elimination final.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I didn’t watch the game but I have watched a couple and the bloke is the same as he was here: SHIT.

Why do people sulk that we let him go? The bloke was taking up salary cap space, and we didn’t want him— simple.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree. Let's say that made good players that are average on other teams systems. Bottomline when buying a Melbourne Storm 'good' player, not certain if they will turn out an average player in other teams.
“Croft” and “great”, not 2 words I expected to ever see in the same sentence.

Go Dogs

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Another Montoya type. No thanks.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone is taking this thread wrong
I meant why did we release him for 2021 when we are short in depth, isnt it better than using tui katoa
We couldve kept him for 2021 and then he could go to melb after that

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I meant why did we release him for 2021 when we are short in depth, isnt it better than using tui katoa
and he was good enough to at least trade for someone, Storm being interested is proof in that.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But what's the difference?

Either try an untested kid in FG, and see what comes of him.

Or

Continue with a player who hasn't shown any bit of what he can do in over 2 years?

You're looking back now with hindsight, given Katoa not exactly setting the world on fire. But neither has Reimis since 2018

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
W O W. Next time I go out for a night on the town I'll take my tape measures along. I didn't know women were into tape measures and I already have three. Thanks for the advice Dinkum.
Yeah but are they imperial or metric?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its my understanding that they released him because the storm had identified him as a player they wanted and Baz was happy to release him so he could free up some cap money.

That money was used to sign Corey Allan who was meant to be our first choice fullback. We had struggled for a first choice fullback for a few years and they thought he would be the answer. If we had kept Smith we wouldnt have got Allan so our depth in the outside backs still wouldnt have changed. For example this week Remis would have played centre instead of Allan and Katoa still would have played wing with DWZ being out.

In hindsight it didnt turn out to be a great move but that's part of the game. At the time I was happy to let Smith go and pick up Allan based on what they both did last year. So even though we didnt directly "trade" with the Storm we still picked up a player to replace him.

willow dogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Given that we are short on depth in the backline, why did we release Smith, when we could’ve kept him for 2021 and then he could go to storm in 2022 and addo Carr comes in.
Hes actually playing really well and playing in the centres lol
To get JAC hello

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freed up a outside back roster spot, letting us sign Allan. Even though Allan hasn’t been great he’s a better squad player than reimis and probably on less than reimis

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Reimus on $450k.
Could that in any way be correct?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Reimus on $450k.
Could that in any way be correct?
Nothing in the media with what he's on, hard for me to believe personally. Up to 350k sure.