News Why Canterbury’s $3.3m marquee signing will play in the centres … for now

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury’s marquee signing Stephen Crichton will start the season in the centres – not at fullback – and complete one of the most lethal left-edge attacks in the NRL.
For all the excitement about South Sydney’s left side featuring Keaon Koloamatangi, Cody Walker, Jack Wighton, Latrell Mitchell and Alex Johnston, Canterbury will have Viliame Kikau, Matt Burton, Crichton and Josh Addo-Carr.

One of the hot topics at Belmore during summer was where three-time premiership winner Crichton – signed for more than $800,000 a season – would start the year.

However, with a quad injury hampering Crichton and limiting how much work he has been able to do in training at fullback, Blake Taaffe will get first crack at the No.1 jersey. Taaffe had an off night in Friday’s trial match against Cronulla, but has barely put a foot wrong at training.

When Crichton is moved to fullback will depend on Taaffe and his performances in the early rounds.

Some fans might be asking why a player brought to the club on a four-year deal worth in excess of $3.3 million is wasted in the centres, but few centres in the game can influence a result with their attack and defence like Crichton.

Crichton, who was appointed Bulldogs captain during the week, and was given a hero’s reception before a crowd of 6000 at Belmore during Friday’s 20-minute trial cameo, said he was excited to reconnect with former Panthers Burton and Kikau, as well as NSW Origin teammate Addo-Carr.

He even backed himself to help get the best out of Burton, who he said had “been a bit quiet the past few seasons”.

“There are some experienced players out there [on the left] with Kiks [Kikau], Foxx [Addo-Carr] and Burto,” Crichton said. “We need to take our chances as they come and keep building the combinations, so it becomes second nature on the field.

“I’ve been training everywhere, wherever ‘Ciro’ [coach Cameron Ciraldo] wants. I’ve been doing reps at fullback, wing and centre … if I do get switched around I know what my job is, and I can handle it for the team. Everything [position] is a chance. The main reason for me playing [on Friday] was to get that combination right, and see how we’re going.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Article is way off its 925k a year for a center.
If you know you know lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tracey plays netball

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Taaffe going to have a lot of off nights unfortunately. I can't believe our 4th best option at fullback is playing there.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The main reason for me playing [on Friday] was to get that combination right, and see how we’re going.
Does that even make sense?

Seemed more like he played mainly to test his quad.
Looks like Friday against Eels is going to be Trial game number 3.
Eli Clarke might be on the bench so Crichton can switch to FB.
Moses and Brown will definitely test out Taaffe...
If Kiraz is ready he can switch to centre for Crichton to drop back and Wilson might be on the bench.
Mann, Curran and Hughes other bench players.
Basically Wilson or Clarke for Morrin...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Taffe has an off night and people writing him off…why don’t you see how he goes after a few rounds before making judgement
I wrote him off day 1 he signed. He hasn't done a good job so far proving otherwise.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Two biggest dudcruitment stuff ups under Ciro & Gus are Sutton and Averillo.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Taffe has an off night and people writing him off…why don’t you see how he goes after a few rounds before making judgement
They weren't even difficult kicks or catches to make. It was reserve grade standard play. Fair enough one mistake, but it was 3 absolute howlers.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This.

When every fullback struggles on the night down the train line end due to a mix of a wet track, a Southerly and lack of lighting u would think people would understand...

Even will Kennedy who has a frigging 100% catch rate almost dropped a couple and Papalii didn't even go close.

Anybody who knows Taafe would know he is safe as a bank at the back.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This.

When every fullback struggles on the night down the train line end due to a mix of a Southerly and lack of lighting u would think people would understand...

Even will Kennedy who has a frigging 100% catch rate almost dropped a couple and Papalii didn't even go close.

Anybody that knows Taaffe knows he's not good enough to be a starting fullback...

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This.

When every fullback struggles on the night down the train line end due to a mix of a Southerly and lack of lighting u would think people would understand...

Come Tuesday 4.00 o'clock I am not expecting changes, maybe a swap or 2 between bench and starting players.
As for Taaffe, if CC was happy with his 1st trial he will also be there at fullback.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whatever position he plays, I'm just stoked it's for us.

He's a gun in attack and defence. A pure leader.

Absolutely, the Panthers would have been a better chance this morning with him in the team.
Would've been better and possibly would have won, but as an onlooker who didn't care who won, Penrith didn't help their own cause by making too many mistakes, it doesn't change the fact they were robbed weren't allowed to win !