Why are you a Bulldogs Supporter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
...other than the obvious, that it is the greatest sporting club ever to be conceived.

Does it relate to where you live(d), your family, your background, did you just like the colours? Why?

For me, I grew up in central west NSW, so it's nothing to do with where I lived (although studies have shown that the dogs have the largest following of regional fans). My father was a dogs supporter, and I naturally took his lead. Not sure why my old man chose the dogs, but it may have had something to do with the working class nature of the Bankstown area.

DogsFan4Life

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
...other than the obvious, that it is the greatest sporting club ever to be conceived.

Does it relate to where you live(d), your family, your background, did you just like the colours? Why?

For me, I grew up in central west NSW, so it's nothing to do with where I lived (although studies have shown that the dogs have the largest following of regional fans). My father was a dogs supporter, and I naturally took his lead. Not sure why my old man chose the dogs, but it may have had something to do with the working class nature of the Bankstown area.
Born and raised in bankstown and still kicking

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My Dad's family have always been Bulldogs supporters. My dad grew up smack bang in Bankstown.

Being a young kid in the late 90s I remember the first Bulldogs game I paid attention to - the 1998 GF Qualifier against the Eels. How could you not be a Bulldogs supporter after their massive run that year?

Ever since, following the Bulldogs as a team for me is like what religion is like for most. I get through the shit weeks excited by the fact my Bulldogs will be on TV for 2 hours on the weekend.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its funny but i have never really considered myself a 'Bulldogs fan' as such, more just a NRL fan as opposed to one of any particular team. I am from CQ so there was no teams really close obviously. But the last 12 months i have lived in Parramatta pretty close to ANZ. I lurk a bit on most of the NRL Forums but this is the one that had one of the biggest and most active communities. Then after 9's i started posting here and have more and more became a Bulldogs fan as it has gone on. So i guess you could say in some sense the community at the kennel is part of the reason I have became a kind of bulldogs supporter. I have started referring to the team as 'we' at least so I guess i must be?

I only like it here after a win though. After a loss you guys are intolerable ;)

Oh and i detest Josh Reynolds. As much as i have tried to like him. He is just such a germ!

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Born in Canterbury hospital and always lived in the area. As a 5 year old, parents took me to my first game which was dragons vs dogs. They asked me "would you like a red flag or a blue flag?"...

Thank god my colour preference at the time did not compromise my entire future.

DogsFan4Life

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Born in Canterbury hospital and always lived in the area. As a 5 year old, parents took me to my first game which was dragons vs dogs. They asked me "would you like a red flag or a blue flag?"...

I went for Great Britain in 88 cause they had the blue stripe :D I can c where ur coming from haha

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Lol

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I had no choice really but hold no grudges for being brainwashed. Dad wrapped me in Bulldogs gear from a VERY young age. He had to create it when i was too small to buy things from the store and bought things as soon as he found stuff that fit. I am probably not alone in being a child who had bulldogs logos sewn onto jump suits but I'm glad my dad was able to drill this much common sense/passion/enthusiasm into me. Mums side of the family was traditionally North Sydney fans. We had a relative (in the early days of league) that played in their top grade side before shipping off to war and that side of the family just kept supporting the bears. Not with much enthusiasm or passion though. They weren't the fans who cried when they merged. Dads side of the family is completely dogs mad. Uncles, cousins, grandparents and siblings of grandparents the works. Family gatherings from this branch of the family NEVER take up the same space as game day. We talked a female cousin into moving her wedding to Sunday when a Saturday finals game was on with the threat of a big load of family not showing up. Husband is a dogs fans and was secretly behind the push. It was cool to see about 60% of the guests at his bucks party in Dogs gear.

TheAlmightyJish

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Grandfather grew up in belmore, father grew up in belmore, it would be rude not to be a fan.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
When I was 4 I followed them because they wore blue, I used to call them the boys team because boys wore blue lol

Used to think the Dragons were a girls team because they wore red lol

bmw_s2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cousin was married to Matt Utai... And Im an arab from the Canterbury - bankstown area (And I was born in Bankstown to reinforce my allegiance).

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's my home team even though we don't live in the area anymore, they are a club that to me represent the struggle and represent what Western Sydney is about.

CHUCKYBOY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lived in Belmore all my life and went to my first game when I was 7. Bleed blue and white since.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grew up in Bathurst (Penny Panthers) territory and pop was a Panthers man, my old man followed the Bears but now follows the Dogs.

As a kid we really didnt go for any particular team - we loved watching it and had favourite players in each team however one day me and my brother use to play cricket in the backyard and we kept hitting the ball over my neighbours fence, after a while the old man nxt door must of got sick & tired of us knocking on his front door that one day he popped his head over the fence and gave us a Bulldogs rugby ball and that was what started my love affair with the Dogs - Oddly enough when the parents wanted to move to the big smoke we moved to Campsie and 20 yrs later were still here in Campsie.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Mum's side of the family are Fairfield wogs and Parra supporters, so I wasn't gonna go with them.
Dad's side of the family are Mackay Aussies and supporters of different QLD teams, my uncle supports the Tits and my dad the Cowboys, so not there either.

Dogs were one of my favourite animals when I was little, so that was kinda how I decided on the team to support.
When I was about two, I got a plush bulldog (just a regular brown one) and I decided to name it Hazem.

EDIT:

Lived in the Mountains all my life but I never really considered the Panthers.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never lived in the area. Family were parra fans, so I just followed. It wasn't until I started watching the game closely that I realised that the dogs never ever fielded a weak team. They were always hard running, in your face barge props, or standing tall with the iron shoulder. It's this "dogs of war" imagery that I'm alluding to, and it's this tough, never give up "fck you" attitude is what I really most admire about the club. There is no other club like ours.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When I was 4 I followed them because they wore blue, I used to call them the boys team because boys wore blue lol

Used to think the Dragons were a girls team because they wore red lol
Haha that's cute

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad was a supporter and i was raised in Panania so it was the only team to support.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Born and raised and still in Greenacre. Played Jnr footy for Greenacre. SG ball and Flegg for the Dogs.

Old man is a crazy supporter. He hates the Eels with a passion.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My family grew up and were born in the Canterbury area. I'm the (very) youngest of 4 brothers, and was born in Auburn, raised in Parra district.

So yeah, my family were all passionate dogs fans for that reason and made sure I supported the Dogs before I could decide who to support out of my own will.

Thank God for that. I may have been a Parra supporter considering all our teachers at school pushed the Parra agenda on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.