News Why agendas have crept into Bulldogs’ wrestling drama

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well I’ll be Weider sticking up for the Dogs..great to see!

If you wondering why perhaps he his sticking up for the Dogs..don’t forget he works for channel 9 who happens to own Fairfax. Fairfax, who produce the Sydney Morning Herald, the Daily Telegraph’s rival newspaper, who has been writing all these stories ridiculing the Dogs. See, they all have agendas.
True mate but some would rather obsess about Rupert Murdoch than be happy someone is defending us and reporting the truth. What the fuck with supporters like that who needs rivals haha

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well I’ll be Weider sticking up for the Dogs..great to see!

If you wondering why perhaps he his sticking up for the Dogs..don’t forget he works for channel 9 who happens to own Fairfax. Fairfax, who produce the Sydney Morning Herald, the Daily Telegraph’s rival newspaper, who has been writing all these stories ridiculing the Dogs. See, they all have agendas.
Enemy of my eneny is my friend.

Even if agenda driven...at least it got an even handed airing on what happened :grinning:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
he won’t perform today. he’s not interested, in his mind he’s got the coin he was after, so he doesn’t need to. center at best
Yeah it will be interesting,we are going to find out one way or the other.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
True mate but some would rather obsess about Rupert Murdoch than be happy someone is defending us and reporting the truth. What the fuck with supporters like that who needs rivals haha
Enemy of my eneny is my friend.

Even if agenda driven...at least it got an even handed airing on what happened :grinning:
I just think Weilder is a shitty journalist who craps on anybody and writes bullshit and sensational articles based on lies himself when he wants to be the ‘man’ .. even when he is supporting the Dogs here, he’s still a dick!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I just think Weilder is a shitty journalist who craps on anybody and writes bullshit and sensational articles based on lies himself when he wants to be the ‘man’ .. even when he is supporting the Dogs here, he’s still a dick!
I feel dirty and like I need a shower after you quoted us together haha. Absolutely, I still wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw him but we have to take the wins when we get them because they’ve been few and far between, on and off the field!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He is a shitty journalist but he tried to set the record straight about that one particular issue. Gotta be thanked for that at least.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The truth finally comes out. Respect to Ciraldo who has taken all the blame and criticism away from the players who (senior players) were actually the ones to decide the punishment.

We all know there's a "campaign" against our club and we should all as fans stick solid and get through this together and let the club know we have their backs because Rothfield thinks our members are offside with the board and he thinks they will be voted out in February....anything!!!!, to disrupt our club this leach will suck onto.

Last edited:

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton is a weird one, the good 6's play fast but look like they are in slow motion. Burton is always in slow motion or no motion. Is that ability or attitude. To be fair he hasn't had a half to learn from. When he was at Penrith he was a fill in with high upside. Learning from Maloney and than Cleary, we signed him before he was their centre but after he become the centre he wasn't getting the reps in the halves. He come here a rookie 6 and it's be a disappointment. Moving him to 7 and right side was wrong. The dogs need a cronk or Matty johns to work with Burton.
Agree with a lot of this, but chances of getting Cronk or Johns are slim, they’re Fox employed aren’t they ?

I wouldn’t be unhappy if they signed Jason Taylor in that role, whilst he’s had his share of DH moments, that was a long time ago, maybe ego got the better of him, he’s been quietly going about his job for years now, you cant deny he has had success as an assistant coach at some very good clubs, he has an extensive resume and was a very accomplished half, one of the elite back in his day.

It would be smart for the club to bring him in to work specifically with the spine, 9,6,7,1, especially around game management, how to work together as the spin to get the best out of the rest of the team, how to control a game and the tempo, what type of kicks to put in at certain times during the game, what kicks to avoid at certain times in a game, how to keep momentum and tire the competition, how to bark orders in defence, time management, JT would be very good at that and I think it would improve our spine and therefore whole team immensely.

It’s something they’re sorely missing and I believe it would be a smart move.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Agree with a lot of this, but chances of getting Cronk or Johns are slim, they’re Fox employed aren’t they ?

I wouldn’t be unhappy if they signed Jason Taylor in that role, whilst he’s had his share of DH moments, that was a long time ago, maybe ego got the better of him, he’s been quietly going about his job for years now, you cant deny he has had success as an assistant coach at some very good clubs, he has an extensive resume and was a very accomplished half, one of the elite back in his day.

It would be smart for the club to bring him in to work specifically with the spine, 9,6,7,1, especially around game management, how to work together as the spin to get the best out of the rest of the team, how to control a game and the tempo, what type of kicks to put in at certain times during the game, what kicks to avoid at certain times in a game, how to keep momentum and tire the competition, how to bark orders in defence, time management, JT would be very good at that and I think it would improve our spine and therefore whole team immensely.

It’s something they’re sorely missing and I believe it would be a smart move.
Agree with JT, he is a good coach. Part of the roosters winning teams and has had a go at head coaching. Happy for him to be our attack coach although I think Burton needs a one on one coach to help him define his game. The 2 I mentioned have the respect of current players and a voice to listen to. Jimmy Maloney if he is in Aus would be in my staff as well.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This story is in its death throes if we've actually got any "journalist" giving the other side of the story. Regardless of whether Weidler is somewhere around our corner, this was always going to hit a point where one of the muck rakers would decide to actually point out that most clubs offer consequences for breaking rules.

It really is pretty shit that this became the big issue. Of the many things the media could highlight, I'd love to see them try to find a way to get referees under the spotlight, have them pointing out that having a gambling partnership is a quick route to potential corruption etc. Pointing out that the new rules are just introducing areas where the game results can be manipulated more frequently etc.

But I guess it's easier and safer for them to kick a club that's down and try shining a spotlight on a player that's in need of some quiet time away from the pressure.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have established a rule about punctuality under Ciraldo. It’s simple: if you are late, ring or text the coach or the footy manager. If you don’t have a good reason, turn around and go home.

There had been a couple of punctuality issues earlier in the season and when the player in question arrived late for an off-site wrestling session, it was felt this was the time to take a stand.
Not letting your Boss etc know you’re running late and being a repeat offender is a side that hasn’t been told.

That’s enough for me to make up my mind about the situation, we have been feed on side and I’m glad he’s come out and written the other side.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not letting your Boss etc know you’re running late and being a repeat offender is a side that hasn’t been told.

That’s enough for me to make up my mind about the situation, we have been feed on side and I’m glad he’s come out and written the other side.
Also throw in perhaps said player walking around the joint like he owns the place attracting younger hanger ons. At least from the few times I've been at training that's what I believe I've seen

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He is a shitty journalist but he tried to set the record straight about that one particular issue. Gotta be thanked for that at least.
Pfft..agenda driven WD..not for the good of the club..

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Indeed this was highlighted in another post the punishment is not an issue.. it's the agenda of certain figures along with Buzz. Standards need to be maintained. Move on let this story fizzle out as it's fuelling the media vultures.
Yes quite an illuminating article. Seems credible & highlights the tabloid ill-informed “shoot from the hip” approach taken by some media clowns. I’m not sure what they are trying to do, by chipping away at the game & reputation of some clubs. The clubs at the bottom of the league table consistently cop it worst of all. Long term those journos are doing nothing to promote the game. Not a creative thought in their heads.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a tough sport. The training would be very demanding. We heard and read how tough players talking about how hard the training etc. Only idiots would believe the dogs could manage to find a new way to break players. With how they perform each week? Lol

100% some ppl with agenda is driving this. How is this newsworthy? Its embarrassing they make it so obvious. I found it more embarrassing how some people here who have something against cc or gus using this to fuel their arguments. You guys are entitled to have doubts but at least use more valid points.

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
IMO, the cardinal sin for any half is not chasing your own kicks, that’s an attitude issue and it’s one of the worst.CC called him out on it last week along with a few other players and he did it publicly. He put burton on notice and that’s important for one reason, it sends the message that no one is above scrutiny. I’ll be watching burton closely today to see if there is any response.
We need forwards and we need a big name in the halves

From what I've seen from Burton he doesnt cut the mustard in the halves. He did well in the centres at Penrith and for NSW

It might be an unpopular opinion but the big name we should chase is Luai to play at #6 and move Burton to the centres. There are no good #7's available and wont be for a while. We need to persist with Sexton and bring the second best available option which is a very good #6

I'm not a fan of Luai's attitude and persona, but we got to bite the bullet

I'm not confident, but fingers crossed Crichton blitzes it at FB, if not we lose nothing and gain everything moving him back to the centres

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We need forwards and we need a big name in the halves

From what I've seen from Burton he doesnt cut the mustard in the halves. He did well in the centres at Penrith and for NSW

It might be an unpopular opinion but the big name we should chase is Luai to play at #6 and move Burton to the centres. There are no good #7's available and wont be for a while. We need to persist with Sexton and bring the second best available option which is a very good #6

I'm not a fan of Luai's attitude and persona, but we got to bite the bullet

I'm not confident, but fingers crossed Crichton blitzes it at FB, if not we lose nothing and gain everything moving him back to the centres
I hear what you are saying about Luai, I tend to think he would struggle without the calibre players he has around him at Penrith, much like Burton has. For mine our priority has to be our forward pack, we can make do with the halves we have in the short term, but we are winning nothing with our current forward pack.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weidler today

It wasn’t Cameron Ciraldo who prescribed the now infamous “wrestle” penalty that caused such a storm this week.

Ciraldo has worn much of the flak after revelations a Bulldogs player took indefinite leave after being lined up to wrestle his teammates as punishment for being late to training, but the coach has not backed away from his aim of setting high standards at the club.

The Bulldogs have established a rule about punctuality under Ciraldo. It’s simple: if you are late, ring or text the coach or the footy manager. If you don’t have a good reason, turn around and go home.

There had been a couple of punctuality issues earlier in the season and when the player in question arrived late for an off-site wrestling session, it was felt this was the time to take a stand.

Trainer Travis Touma initially wanted to send the player home. He can’t be blamed for what took place. He consulted two senior players, who felt that course of action was unfair and that he should have to complete the gruelling wrestling session like everyone else. So it was decided the player should take part in the session, then complete an extra penalty afterwards.

If a player is late for a running session, the penalty is usually extra runs. If it’s a gym session, the penalty might be extra gym work. This was a wrestling session. So the player was asked to complete extra wrestling. To the best of my knowledge, it lasted for just over four minutes. One by one, there were 24 players, who had very quick wrestles, on their knees, with the player. Each individual wrestle lasted between five and 10 seconds. The player was spent after the session. It’s exhausting work. It’s supposed to be. Afterwards, he was sitting against a wall near the wrestle mats, smiling because he had completed the task.

He wasn’t broken, bruised or bleeding. He kept training with the side for the rest of the week and did not miss a session. His mental health issues, which were not known then, were triggered by external reaction to his punishment.

As for talk some players were upset with the punishment, that would seem to be a falsehood. Two weeks after the session that led to the player taking leave, Braidon Burns called a wrestle session penalty on himself, as a punishment. Burns said he didn’t find it as hard as some pre-season tackle sessions.

The young man’s mental health issues should be taken seriously. Some of the reporting on this matter should not be. One newshound was trying to blame Canterbury’s culture for Payne Haas not coming to the club. He was never even close to joining the Dogs. Agendas are creeping in, and it’s part of an ongoing campaign against the club – or against some of the individuals therein.
and this is why I don't mind Gus's involvement in the media.