Opinion Who was your Bulldogs Idol/s when you were growing up?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not football players. But, I always wanted to be a Greg Brentnall (when I played).
I converted to League from Aussie Rules for a few seasons because of Brentnall. Thought that my kicking might suit the same style as Greg.
I rarely had the chance in a team that went down to scores that imitated the Dogs of the past few seasons; and being light and fast didn't help when the team captain said he wanted none of that kick and chase bullshit.

All I got from the game was bruises to body and ego. Went back to Aussie Rules, but still went to every Bulldog game I could, to watch the magic of Brentnall and Mortimer.

I still rate Johns as my number one player for the Dogs. Met him a few times. He was very humble, and happy to spend time with enthusiastic juniors - even kids who played Aussie Rules.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate I know Robert Relf personally. Trying to deflect from your bs. No one has ever called him Robbo.
Why can’t I?
Robert gets shortened to Robbo in this country

what’s the issue

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sonny bill was and still is my idol

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The great Turvey and Baa Baa
Great era

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Steve “Turvey” Mortimer.
One of THE most overlooked footballers from the NRL of all time.
It still annoys me to this day how Turvey and Wally Lewis went on the 1982 Kangaroo Tour as the incumbent half and five eighth, but never at any stage did they play behind the test pack. Turvey was consigned to the mid week team, while Wally was only a reserve for the test team.

i regularly saw Turvey’s father Ian at games. Terrific bloke. I spoke to him in 1983 at Redfern Oval and he was fuming with coach Frank Stanton for what he perceived as not giving Turvey an opportunity in the best team.

in his book Top Dog, Turvey blamed Ray Price for influencing Stanton to give the 6 and 7 jumpers to Kenny and Sterling. All 4 were great players but the team wasn’t shuffled around in the club games to try all combinations.