Who to keep from roster

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't look like we're getting any overly expensive players (700K+) like B.Smith or Staggs so I would like to see us go all out for Reynolds otherwise there will be too much pressure on young Burton to win every game virtually by himself. Reynolds puts every kick in the right place, he's a great game manager and goalkicker. Flanagan would move on but I can't see the club doing that so:

SHED Britt, Crichton, Hopoate, S. Katoa, Lewis, JMK, Meaney, Napa, Ogden, Roumanos, C.Smith

RE-SIGN Tui Katoa (minimum wage), Ava Seumanufagai (minimum wage), Okunbor, Atoni,

SIGN Dufty, Naden, Rudolf, Clark, Su'a OR Capewell, and Ben Condon from the Cows (tall edge forward) - all modest signings

PROMOTE Deitz, Topine, Schoupp and Alamoti

WE'RE STUCK WITH Wakeham, Stimson and Waddell unfortunately.

1 Matt Dufty* / Scott Drinkwater (Can we please finally get a real "experienced" fullback with decent pace and a step)
2 JAC
3 Brett Naden*
4 Nick Cotric
5 DWZ
6 Matt Burton
7 Kyle Flanagan
8 Toby Rudolf*
9 Daryl Clark*
10 Luke Thompson
11 RFM
12 Jaydn Su'a / Kurt Capewell*
13 Josh Jackson

14 Jake Averillo
15 Jack Hetherington
16 Renouf Atoni
17 Adam Elliott

18 Bradley Deitz
19 Ava Seumanufagai
20 Jackson Topine
21 Corey Waddell
22 Matt Doorey
23 Brandon Wakeham
24 Corey Allan
25 Jayden Okunbor
26 Aaron Schoupp
27 Paul Alamoti
28 Ben Condon*
29 Joe Stimson
30 Tui Katoa

If you look at this roster it is still very conservative compared to the top teams. If we couldn't afford this team there's something seriously wrong and we're still paying way overs to some players. Yes Jackson, Thompson, Elliott , Cotric and DWZ are overpaid

Spine of
Dufty
Burton
Flanagan
Clark

would be good but even better (lot more experience)

Dufty
Burton
Reynolds
Clark

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a great discussion point. I thank bradtalo and others for their in depth analysis. To me the most insane thing about this whole roster talk and cap space is the idiotic secrecy around contracts. In all the US professional sports...be it NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL or soccer...all the teams player contracts are public knowledge and published on sites like Spotrac.com.
Many sports have soft caps or luxury tax thresholds but no sport has hard caps like us....so a team COULD buy premierships if they wanted and pay taxes to do so. But here, where we have hard caps, the contract amount of players is kept secret?...for fear of invading privacy or something? So you can know Lebron James is on $37m pa or whatever but your not allowed to know what Josh Jackson is on?
If every team was required to publish their contracted list don't we believe we would have a better chance of determining whose most likely to be cheating? The NRL should force full public disclosure....it would make it easier to spread the talent if every player knew what every other player was contracted for.
Having full public disclosure, we as armchair critics could put together a list of potential off contract players to chase...it would also allow us to ensure accountability of the Board...we'd see how much we spent on Napa or Hoppa or Cotric. The Board couldn't continually hide behind the excuse of blaming the previous Board for a fucked up cap if the new Board sign player x on $y...if we know player w at Tigers is a much better player and he's also on $y.
So I believe fans of ALL Clubs should demand the full publishing of players contracts and third party agreements. It would largely put an end to accusations of brown paper bags, force all Boards to be accountable, and allow players to better gauge their worth on the open market, rather than be at the whim and under the control of managers who are known to favour certain Clubs, and refuse to entertain other Clubs.
Having said all this, I'd keep Okky, Meaney, JMK, Smith, Lewis and either Atoni or Ogden. I'd like to go after Dufty, B Smith, Naden, Capewell, and another young prop. I think Lewis could transition into a ball playing 13 and Cotric isn't a centre.

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You need 6 props in the top 30.
We have Thompson, Hetherington.
We need 4 more
I would resign Atoni for sure. Keep either of Ogden or Ava as the 6th option. Nappa has to go or produce last nights first half for all game every game at a reduced contract. If Nappa doesn’t produce ( which seems likely) we need 2 props.
Rudolph was very underwhelming last night and got outplayed by Nappa so maybe he’s no longer an option.
I would keep Topine as our utility. A bit small to be dominant in the back row, but I am happy to be proved wrong there.
We need to keep 1 of Deitz, JMK, Katoa as our Mounties hooker. Take your pick there.
I would try and get Adam Reynolds and have Flanagan as depth if we can crunch the dollars somewhere else. Shop Wakeman and release Lewis. Use Bailey Biondi as 4th choice.
Swap Hoppa out for Naden or similar.
Okunbur onto the wing for his strong carries out of our end.
We are stuck with Allan so I’m 50/59 with Meaney.
Britt and Roumanos gooone
Chris Smith keep as depth if he stays on budget contract.
Shop Allan, Flannagan ( if we signed Reynolds) We are stuck wit Jacko but he at least gets the long service discount. We will probably need to sign 6 or seven . Must include 2 front rowers, a hooker and centre if high quality or we just remain bog average at best.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For a squad of 30?

Must Keeps -
Renouf Atoni
Nick Meaney,
Jayden Okunbor,

Canterbury Cup / Back up / No decent replacements
Dean Britt,
Sione Katoa,
Jeremy Marshall-King,
Ofahiki Ogden
Kurt Picken,
James Roumanos,
Chris Smith

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep, if Bmoz and Jmoz were willing to play for us at a slashed rate like the Rorters are claiming they are to the NRL, they’d still be here. They wanted to go.
That's not true.
They asked the club for a 2 season contract 3 seasons ago FFS.

THE CLUB SAID NO, because they only offered a 1 season deal for Josh & Brett.

Brett I can live with because he was injured a lot. But that offer to Josh was a fucking insult.

cuzza

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Renouf Atoni - If cheap.
Chris Smith - If cheap (depends on rest of year) Has a go.
Jayden Okunbor - Like to see how he ends the year.
Nick Meaney - If cheap as a back up.
Lachlan Lewis - We need someone to bag on here.

Would not consider anyone else.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Atoni.
Tui Katoa
JMK - this is conditional on him making a sucessful comeback and showing improvement under TBaz.
Meaney.
Seumanufagai
Smith.
Possibly Knockonbor but I'm not sold on him, bloke has hands like feet.