Votes: 28 17.9%
  • Other- Post Name

Votes: 19 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You have to understand that no "established" NRL coach wants to come here "now", with a poor roster and no funds to recruite where or what is needed in their eyes.

As mentioned, next season we have only 6 players out of 30 contracted for the 2021 season, with none of those players "back-ended"

Pretty much a full salary cap to spend on a new team
We don't have to have an experienced coach though. Plus someone like Holbrook has experience at a huge club St. Helens and has coached here also so he's plenty experienced despite not having coached in the NRL.

And an experienced NRL coach that can't get a job elsewhere might take the job if you sold them lure of the cap space.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay will be the coach in 2020. You can bet your houses and wives on it.

Pay will not be here in 2021.

The question should be, who will be the coach in 2021, while working behind the scenes in 2020 with Chris Anderson to recruit the players they want for 2021 season?!
So fuck 2020 ayy what terrible logic that is

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The fact that some people think that 2020 doesn't matter shows how far this club has fallen honestly

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The fact that some people think that 2020 doesn't matter shows how far this club has fallen honestly
Bad enough we have failed so far in 2019 but there will be NO EXCUSE not to be super competitive in 2020.

We will have 4 halves, all signed and more than capable vying for 2 positions.
Plenty of young players who will have a solid year under their belts and looking for break out years.
Plenty of players off contract so plenty of more money in the bank to go out and buy players to plug up some holes.
An influx of young players who should be ready to make debuts after a season in reggies.

AND most of all a full 2019 for Pay to realise who suits what positions best and NO NEED FOR CHOPPING AND CHANGING ANYMORE!!

NO MORE EXCUSES!!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone could do the same, if not better. It can't get worse. The answer isn't Pay so try someone else.
Holbrook would take the job if offered. The Walker Brothers should be considered. Or someone like Demetriou.
I'd even take Henry or Griffin short term if they wanted experience.
Holbrook is contracted to StHelens until mid 2020, not a coincidence of timing perhaps.
The Ipswich Jets finished 5th last year showing up the Walkers Bros coaching style for what it is, effective until the opposition learns how to defend. Never coached in the NRL at, and people complain about Pay being a rookie coach.
Henry, sacked by the Cowboys, then sacked by the Titans, seriously why?
Demetriou another unproven, we would just be taking another risk.
Griffin accordingly to Gould "is very old school, he likes to do everything himself. I think in the modern day age the head coach has got to rely on the expertise, knowledge and assistance". Is that what we want for our club?

None of them have any proven credentials to suggest that they would be any better, many would say worse.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Holbrook is contracted to StHelens until mid 2020, not a coincidence of timing perhaps.
The Ipswich Jets finished 5th last year showing up the Walkers Bros coaching style for what it is, effective until the opposition learns how to defend. Never coached in the NRL at, and people complain about Pay being a rookie coach.
Griffin accordingly to Gould "is very old school, he likes to do everything himself. I think in the modern day age the head coach has got to rely on the expertise, knowledge and assistance". Is that what we want for our club?

None of them have any proven credentials to suggest that they would be any better, many would say worse.

Go Dogs
And Pay has the credentials of a coach who is 10-23 in two seasons. Are you saying he deserves to stay with such an illustrious record?

Supreme Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Once again to the really thick bellends, Pay will not be here in 2021. He is contracted till next season to run out the storm with the current squad.

All the quality players we require in said positions are mostly off contract next season, so you can write your dream list, but none of them are coming here next year.

2020 is a write off, like it or not. The only way we might get lucky is if Bellamy has a falling out at the Storm, like Bennett had with the Broncos, and Bellamy comes to the Dogs with half of the Storm squad. Once again, jot down your dream list.

I cannot wait for Pay to go, but thats the way it is.

I know for a fact the club is looking for an experienced coach, but i do not know who they are after.

If i was having a stab in the dark (pure speculation) i would be betting on Tim Sheens or Michael Hagan.

Dogs are looking at a few players in the ESL and someone is tipping them off. (Just my speculation)

Hagan for other reasons

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Once again to the really thick bellends, Pay will not be here in 2021. He is contracted till next season to run out the storm with the current squad.

All the quality players we require in said positions are mostly off contract next season, so you can write your dream list, but none of them are coming here next year.

2020 is a write off, like it or not. The only way we might get lucky is if Bellamy has a falling out at the Storm, like Bennett had with the Broncos, and Bellamy comes to the Dogs with half of the Storm squad. Once again, jot down your dream list.

I know for a fact the club is looking for an experienced coach, but i do not know who they are after.

If i was having a stab in the dark (pure speculation) i would be betting on Tim Sheens or Michael Hagan.

Dogs are looking at a few players in the ESL and someone is tipping them off. (Just my speculation)

Hagan for other reasons
No season is ever a write off that is just a poor fucking excuse for a club and fans that is used to mediocrity, its poor, fact is we've been shit ever since 2012 grand final

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Try explaining to people that pay money and turn up to games that 2020 is a fucking write off, its unprofessional and unacceptable, as I keep saying with a coach who has an idea and a couple of good signings we could be playing a lot better and competing better now!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
My picks (in short).

1. Shane Flanagan. Big favourite as he has experience turning a cellar team to a unit.
2. Holbrook. Has followed the right path to coaching glory through ESL and has dogs links.
3. Lee Malkoun. Good success with feeder team in the Ron Massey cup. Good political links and involved with the community.

Nasheed.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And Pay has the credentials of a coach who is 10-23 in two seasons. Are you saying he deserves to stay with such an illustrious record?
I was simply pointing out the problems with your list.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was simply pointing out the problems with your list.

Go Dogs
What's the problem with Holbrook? Because he's contracted? Do you not think he'd have a clause in his contract that would enable him to take an NRL job if one became available?

As usual, instead of offering solutions yourself, you'd rather try and prove everyone wrong and make it seem like all is rosy and perfect and that Pay and the club are faultless.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What's the problem with Holbrook? Because he's contracted? Do you not think he'd have a clause in his contract that would enable him to take an NRL job if one became available?
As usual, instead of offering solutions yourself, you'd rather try and prove everyone wrong and make it seem like all is rosy and perfect and that Pay and the club are faultless.
He may well have an NRL get out clause, the point was you don't know if he does, so you were suggesting someone who may not even be available. I would add that he is currently negotiating with St Helens for an extension to his contract, so even more reason. Maybe you missed it but I did also post that it may well be "not a coincidence of timing", meaning he is available when Pay's current contract finishes.

Rather than pick random names out of the air can I respectfully suggest that a little homework would be of benefit. Not just on Holbrook, but Henry (why was he sacked by 2 clubs?) and Griffin (sacked at great financial cost?) and the Walker Bros (why has the hype on them suddenly stopped?) and of course Demetriou (even more of a rookie coach, thrown in the deep end).

In regards to Pay he has a contract to the end of 2020 and I'm not a fan of us breaking contracts, which applies to players as well, a contract was signed, honour it. Especially when he was handed a dog's breakfast, with a hornets' nest and bag of snakes thrown in for good measure. Frankly I'm surprised that he has done as well as he has to extricate us from such a total fark up, the pile of shit was so deep it should have taken a Saturn 5 to get out of it. He deserves the time that the contract extension gives him. Which, with good reason, was the most popular choice in the poll.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hagan for other reasons
If the plan is to write off 2 seasons to set it up for Sheens or Hagan then the board has lost the plot.

Hagan got carried by Joey at the Knights and failed at Parra plus he has been out of head coaching for a very long time.

Sheens was well past it in his final years at the Tigers I'd hate to see what he is like now.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He may well have an NRL get out clause, the point was you don't know if he does, so you were suggesting someone who may not even be available. I would add that he is currently negotiating with St Helens for an extension to his contract, so even more reason. Maybe you missed it but I did also post that it may well be "not a coincidence of timing", meaning he is available when Pay's current contract finishes.

Rather than pick random names out of the air can I respectfully suggest that a little homework would be of benefit. Not just on Holbrook, but Henry (why was he sacked by 2 clubs?) and Griffin (sacked at great financial cost?) and the Walker Bros (why has the hype on them suddenly stopped?) and of course Demetriou (even more of a rookie coach, thrown in the deep end).

In regards to Pay he has a contract to the end of 2020 and I'm not a fan of us breaking contracts, which applies to players as well, a contract was signed, honour it. Especially when he was handed a dog's breakfast, with a hornets' nest and bag of snakes thrown in for good measure. Frankly I'm surprised that he has done as well as he has to extricate us from such a total fark up, the pile of shit was so deep it should have taken a Saturn 5 to get out of it. He deserves the time that the contract extension gives him. Which, with good reason, was the most popular choice in the poll.

Go Dogs
You could apply that same logic to some of the best coaching candidates. You could poke holes through all of them, including Bennett, Cleary and McGuire. Going by your logic, we'd never hire anyone else but Pay.

You say you're a fan of honouring contracts, but you stand by the club when they release players with years left on their deal to try and ease cap pressure. So if its okay to release rep players mid contract, then it's definitely open slather on Pay and his contract situation when the team is regressing and performing so horribly under his "leadership".

You can't have it both ways. Our club has proven a contract means nothing. And this should especially be the case in regards to Pay.

Supreme Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
If the plan is to write off 2 seasons to set it up for Sheens or Hagan then the board has lost the plot.

Hagan got carried by Joey at the Knights and failed at Parra plus he has been out of head coaching for a very long time.

Sheens was well past it in his final years at the Tigers I'd hate to see what he is like now.
I never said the board are chasing Sheens or Hagan.

That is just my speculation/opinion. (Pure guess)

I'm not a fan of Pay. imo he lacks man management skills, does not know how to get the best out of each player individually, and im not a fan of the way he punishes players so quickly for bad performances.

There are no standout coaches available, just like there is no standout players available at this present moment. The coaches available are sub-par and offer nothing more than what Pay does, i.e Barrett, Henry, etc. We will just keep going around in circles

As mentioned, there is 24 players off contract next season along with Pay. I presume the vast majority will be flushed out along with Pay. Next season will be further development (hopefully) of our promising young pups, which are, Ogden, To'omaga, Meaney, Kalache and Roumanos.

November is the month all clubs can start negotiating and you can bet your bottom dollar that Canterbury & Parra will be ruthless, with Parra offering massive overs to anyone in their sites for season 2021.

Recruitment for season 2020 is all but done, and there might be a couple of signings here and there, but not much will change.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I'm not a fan of Pay. imo he lacks man management skills, does not know how to get the best out of each player individually, and im not a fan of the way he punishes players so quickly for bad performances.

There are no standout coaches available, just like there is no standout players available at this present moment. The coaches available are sub-par and offer nothing more than what Pay does, i.e Barrett, Henry, etc. We will just keep going around in circles

As mentioned, there is 24 players off contract next season along with Pay. I presume the vast majority will be flushed out along with Pay. Next season will be further development (hopefully) of our promising young pups, which are, Ogden, To'omaga, Meaney, Kalache and Roumanos.

November is the month all clubs can start negotiating and you can bet your bottom dollar that Canterbury & Parra will be ruthless, with Parra offering massive overs to anyone in their sites for season 2021.

Recruitment for season 2020 is all but done, and there might be a couple of signings here and there, but not much will change.
Are you fried? What recruitment for 2020 are you talking about, we haven't made any lmaooo

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is absolutely no fucking way this club goes into 2020 without any decent signings lmaoo

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Fair enough I think Pay is out of his depth as well but Sheens or Hagan aren't the answers.

You're spot on with there not being any standout coaching alternatives but what do we do if it is still the same at the end of 2020? I hope the board has someone in mind and are already working on them being at the club.

I don't like the idea of wasting seasons and the board better be getting all their ducks in a row.