WHO REALLY IS OUR LEADER?

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes while watching our games I struggle to answer this question. Who is our leader on the field?

While Josh Jackson has the big 'C' next to his name, I'm not seeing a leader that is getting the best out of his team mates. Isn't that a captains job and to lead by example?
Now Jackson no doubt is as tough as they come and you would have him in your side any day of the week because of his toughness, enthusiasm and passion, but this does not necessarily make him Captain material. The best of them in a lot of sports don't necessarily become Captain's.

Let me ask a couple more questions which may help you decide....

Has Jackson as our leader been able to communicate his instructions effectively where you see the players respond to him?

Does Jackson as our leader have great motivational skills, he can motive his team by his voice or speech?

To be a captain you need to articulate what you a trying to put across with calmness and vision and I don't think Jackson is that type of guy.

I go back and think of the likes of George Peponis, now there was a calming influence about him, never looked flustered and always looked in control. This is the type of leader that we need to take our next generation of players into the future.

So, who would you have if you had to pick out of our current playing group and why?

Btw, this is not a swipe at Jackson as an NRL player because as I said I would have him in our team any day of the week. I am only questioning his ability as our Leader and Captain. Cheers.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopoate. Noticed that he's always talking and encouraging his team mates.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Tolman, Jackson and Hoppa have been the longest at the club now so you would think it’s one of them.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think Tolman does more talking and more of a leader than Jackson has ever been. Jacko is way too soft spoken to be a leader on the field.
In one of the games this year i clearly saw Jacko stay quiet in the background while Tolman was asking referee question about penalty against us..

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
There is no problem with Jacko as a captain. He leads by example similar to Andrew Ryan. Tolman talks to the refs better I guess.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
There is no problem with Jacko as a captain. He leads by example similar to Andrew Ryan. Tolman talks to the refs better I guess.
hmmm.....he's like half the player he was even just 3 years ago.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I see more talk from Hoppa and Tolman.. Jacksons never been a big talker..

Grahams leadership in actions and words will be missed..

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
We don’t have one and if we do he is weak.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Too many young heads and inexperience.

Blind leading the blind out there at times.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is no leader, haven't had one since Ennis.
Foran is the closest we've come since then

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is your captain needs to start every week. More than three quarters of our team play like reserve graders (which they probably are unfortunately), meaning their positions are hardly guaranteed. I think Tolman is our best option, followed by Jackson.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I see more talk from Hoppa and Tolman.. Jacksons never been a big talker..

Grahams leadership in actions and words will be missed..
I dont agree with Graham being a good leader. He is similar to JJ in that he lets his footy do the talking.
However, he gets everyone off side with each other. He causes problems with the referees, he never organises any set plays,
he doesnt communicate with his halves. He basically puts the ball under his arm and carts it forward. When tackled, he wants to argue with the ref.
I for one am glad to see him gone.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jacko is a pretty good captain. But dare I say it. The last game Foran played before he got injured he showed very strong leadership on the field. Probably the best I’ve seen in a long time.