News Who is he and why haven't we signed him?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice to get a bit of insight into his younger days. I think he could be anything! Cant wait to watch him develop as the years pass by. Hope we dont stifle his development though, he needs to be in the number 7 controlling the team!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well if there's truth to that story everyone besides Gus needs to be cleaned out... Getting BBO re-signed was obvious as F.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A livewire youngster with a stack of potential caught Phil Gould’s eye, as James Phelps reports

BAILEY Biondi-Odo started running as soon as his father picked up the rake. “You get back here boy,” his father screamed. The backyard game suddenly stopped, brothers, cousins and uncles pausing to place bets.

“Five bucks he doesn’t catch him,” said Bailey’s brother. The boy with the dirty and halfflat Steeden took the bet. “Yeah,” the boy said as Dad took off. “The old boy’s still got it.” Bailey’s brother smiled. He knew his money was safe.

“The little bugger was fast,” recalled Bailey’s father, David Odo. “Not sure what he had done, probably just being cheeky like always, but he ran and I chased. He was only six so I had him covered.”

Or he thought he did.

But turns out young Bailey was as tough as he was fast. “He saw that I didn’t have shoes on,” Odo said. “We never did. He didn’t have shoes on either but he was prepared to take the pain. I stopped when he started running on the gravel. Rock and s... everywhere, I wasn’t going to stuff my feet.”

But Bailey did not care. Feet all cut and bloody, he gave Dad a wave before he disappeared.

It was the same combination of speed and toughness that attracted the attention of new Bulldogs football boss Phil Gould.

Watching his first game as the new Bulldogs head of football, Gould saw the speed, which was obvious.

Running for 51m in his 26-minute stint off the bench, Bailey left the Rabbitohs forwards clutching at air when he scored a blitzing 65th-minute try.

Gould also saw the toughness, the 85kg halfback not missing a tackle despite defending in the middle for the first time.

Gould is reported to have said; “Who is this guy and why haven’t we signed him”.

Gould then picked up the phone to make the call that would make Biondi-Odo his first signing at the Dogs.

“Gus called me after that game,” said Bailey’s agent, Sam Ayoub.

“And we had the deal done within 48 hours. Gus is a natural when it comes to identifying talent. His knowledge of the game is unsurpassed and I think he is able to see thing that sometimes others don’t.”

Gould said: “I watched him (Biondi-Odo) play a couple of times and you didn’t need to be an expert to see he has real potential.

“To be honest, I just handled the negotiation. Trent Barrett and Peter Sharp insisted we re-sign him, so I got the deal done. He can obviously play at six, seven and nine, so he is an asset to our roster. I am looking forward to meeting him and watching him develop under Trent Barrett.”

Determined to follow in the footsteps of his famous cousins, Ben Barba, Justin Hodges and Wendell Sailor, Biondi-Odo moved to Sydney after being rejected by the Broncos and the Cowboys. He made the 2500km trip from Innisfail, Queensland to Parramatta when he was 14.

“He has always wanted to be a football player,” Odo said.

“We started getting calls from NRL clubs when he was 11. But as he got older they went off him because he was too small.

“He was really dedicated. Always worked hard. He used to sit home and watch movies us on the weekends so he could keep out of trouble.

“All the other boys were drinking and getting up to s... . He got an opportunity to go to Parramatta and he grabbed it with both hands. He moved down and went through the junior system before being picked up by the Bulldogs.”

The youngest of six siblings, Biondi-Odo has a diverse cultural background.

“I’m an Odo and his mother is a Biondi,” David said.

“We weren’t married when he was born so we decided to give him both of our names. My father was half PNG and Torres Strait Islander while my mother was Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and also Malay. Bailey’s mum is half English-Aboriginal and half Italian, which is why Bailey has an Italian name (Biondi).”

He also has a big future in the NRL. With the Bulldogs still searching for a long-term halfback, Biondi-Odo is hoping to win a spot alongside Matt Burton next year.

“He has always been a half,” Odo said. “Never played hooker until this year. I know he will give it his best shot and we all reckon he will make the most of it.”

As for the rake?

“Nah, I was never going to hit him with it,” Odo said. “But I was tempted to throw it at him after he took off.”
Did anyone mention Flanagan :astonished::fearscream::grinning:

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My advice to him would be to pass the ball. Don’t try to take the line on early in the game …. Let the forwards fatigue and then open the throttle late in the first half.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Did you actually read it?
I skim read it while in bed, but he wasn't re-signed until after Gus was involved. Why isn't one of our most promising young players re-signed when he's off contract next year and why are we playing him while he's off contract. Did I miss something? His Dad chasing him with a rake isn't the important thing here.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why did it take Gus to realize that we need to resign him?... How many numpties are in the club?? Yet they priortised JMk, katoa and Okunbor... Ffs...
Katoa and Okunbor wil be playing reserve grade next year. While I have changed my opinion on Okunbor after his shockers when he came back, you have to remember he hasn’t played footy for 1 year. Still not a first grader in my opinion but if he had some game time before playing FG he probably would be about 30% better. Back up winger at best.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you are right, but I'm concerned with some of Baz's signings.. ie.. Waddell, Allan, Flanagan etc and then you hear a story like this and then Gus' concerns over the 2023 cap.. there's a few worrying signs.. I hope I'm reading into this too much..
You are.. as good as Gus will be for us, keep in mind he's at times quite egotistical.. so he will make comments that indicate he is fixing stuff / was a major player in fixing stuff. I have no doubt his influence will be very positive for us, but I don't believe we couldn't have done it without him (if it does work out). Hopefully it happens faster with him on board and also importantly lasts longer

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Katoa and Okunbor wil be playing reserve grade next year. While I have changed my opinion on Okunbor after his shockers when he came back, you have to remember he hasn’t played footy for 1 year. Still not a first grader in my opinion but if he had some game time before playing FG he probably would be about 30% better. Back up winger at best.
Manu has more potential than T. Katoa and now he's either not going to be re-signed or playing in the centres in reserve grade which isn't his best position. The T. Katoa re-signing wasn't needed imo.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Manu has more potential than T. Katoa and now he's either not going to be re-signed or playing in the centres in reserve grade which isn't his best position. The T. Katoa re-signing wasn't needed imo.
I can’t disagree with that on face value, but we don’t know shit from the outside for the reasons. Also player potential is very hard to judge from only a handful of first grade games between them. Personally I think Katoa(not the hooker lol) has been improving. Even if we keep the both of them, depth is good. I’d put Katoa and Manu ahead of Okunbor. Maybe Okunbor should have been the one let go.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dogs either need a half or hooker because this kid can play both hopefully these next few games we can tell where he is best suited for next year. Burton, Odo and Dufty looks like will be seeing lots of points next year!
Agree 100%- seems there maybe more quality half options available to purchase at the moment then hookers. With that in mind I would like to see us purchase Ash Taylor for 300k and put BBO at 9. 300k is no major risk so even if he is solid at best we aren’t risking much. I still reckon Ash Taylor’s form wouldn’t be such an issue if he wasn’t being the ridiculous amount of money how is on.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can’t disagree with that on face value, but we don’t know shit from the outside for the reasons. Also player potential is very hard to judge from only a handful of first grade games between them. Personally I think Katoa(not the hooker lol) has been improving. Even if we keep the both of them, depth is good. I’d put Katoa and Manu ahead of Okunbor. Maybe Okunbor should have been the one let go.
We're all judging from the outside. There's nothing else to go off which is why the people in charge at the club and behind the scenes in theory are going to know best (proven not the case at our club tho). Manu looks like he gives a F and is aggressive. Talent aside those 2 traits go a long way and I don't see that from T. Katoa who if anything has played like a donkey (Montoya/Holland level from the past).

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I skim read it while in bed, but he wasn't re-signed until after Gus was involved. Why isn't one of our most promising young players re-signed when he's off contract next year and why are we playing him while he's off contract. Did I miss something? His Dad chasing him with a rake isn't the important thing here.
I think you need to read it again then!

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
something special about this kid, things just happen around him on the pitch. glad we locked him in

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
BBO will be great but people need to be patient. He’s 19 and we’re in a losing season. No point heaping him with responsibility right now. Better IMO to keep developing him with shorter minutes and he can carve out a bigger role next year (unless we sign a halfback in which case BBO could play 14 or 7 when injury strikes).
I totally agree and have been saying this he will be a gun 7 but hes young ,him and burton will destroy teams

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
BBO will be great but people need to be patient. He’s 19 and we’re in a losing season. No point heaping him with responsibility right now. Better IMO to keep developing him with shorter minutes and he can carve out a bigger role next year (unless we sign a halfback in which case BBO could play 14 or 7 when injury strikes).
Baz needs to just let him run, same goes for Jake. The season is gone so just let the boys do what they've done through the grades all these years that got then to firstgrade.