Opinion Who I'd buy for 2023

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I know 2022 hasn't kicked off but if we want to buy better players for 2023 and get the pick of the bunch we have to act from this Monday Nov 1. We can't afford to sit on our hands and wait for last minute bargains. I'm sure Gould has a plan involving a hooker at minimum

For 2023 from what's available and at what price I hope we go for either (Reed Mahoney OR Api Koroisau) AND Junior Paulo.

Paulo and TPJ in the same pack would be awesome.

Cheese would be great but he's going to be really expensive and I'm unsure if he's worth 900-950K which is probably what the Dolphins will offer maybe even the Titans. plus we might not have so much cap available.

If Vaughan has a big year next season he would want an upgrade for 2023 to be close to Paulo's wage anyway. He was on 800K at the Dragons reportedly so will probably expect at least 700K which is "around" what Paulo will attract (on 600K they say now at the Eels). Paulo is younger and adds even more size to our pack.

I believe Dufty will have a big season next year and he's probably worth keeping on a moderate wage. There's not many decent fullbacks available anyway except Gutherson and he's not worth his asking price of 900K.

There's no 7's worth chasing. Brooks isn't worth the 700K or more we'd have to pay

To pay for Mahoney and Paulo we should decide now not to re-sign RFM (would free up 450-500K and I'd move Hetherington into the backrow to partner TPJ). We should also shed Vaughan, Stimson and Wakeham. We should also try to shop Allan. He's not worth 400-450K we're paying to play reserve grade. Marsters can be back up fullback or even Naden.

I'd like to keep Thompson and Cotric as they will do some damage.

Off contract after 2023
John Asiata, Matt Doorey, Matthew Dufty, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Tui Katoa, Max King, Joe Stimson, Jackson Topine, Paul Vaughan, Brandon Wakeham

2023 team

1 Matt Dufty
2 JAC
3 Brent Naden
4 Braidon Burns /Aaron Schoupp / Paul Alamoti
5 Nick Cotric
6 Matt Burton
7 BBO / Averillo
8 Junior Paulo
9 Reed Mahoney / Api Koroisau
10 Luke Thompson
11 TPJ
12 Jack Hetherington
13 Josh Jackson

14 Jake Averillo / BBO
15 Ava Seumanufagai
16 Mavoni Tuifua
17 John Asiata

SPINE
Matt Dufty
Matt Burton
BBO / Jake Averillo
Reed Mahoney

UpDaDoggies1935

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes I know 2022 hasn't kicked off but if we want to buy better players for 2023 and get the pick of the bunch we have to act from this Monday Nov 1. We can't afford to sit on our hands and wait for last minute bargains. I'm sure Gould has a plan involving a hooker at minimum

For 2023 from what's available and at what price I hope we go for either (Reed Mahoney OR Api Koroisau) AND Junior Paulo.

Paulo and TPJ in the same pack would be awesome.

Cheese would be great but he's going to be really expensive and I'm unsure if he's worth 900-950K which is probably what the Dolphins will offer maybe even the Titans. plus we might not have so much cap available.

If Vaughan has a big year next season he would want an upgrade for 2023 to be close to Paulo's wage anyway. He was on 800K at the Dragons reportedly so will probably expect at least 700K which is "around" what Paulo will attract (on 600K they say now at the Eels). Paulo is younger and adds even more size to our pack.

I believe Dufty will have a big season next year and he's probably worth keeping on a moderate wage. There's not many decent fullbacks available anyway except Gutherson and he's not worth his asking price of 900K.

There's no 7's worth chasing. Brooks isn't worth the 700K or more we'd have to pay

To pay for Mahoney and Paulo we should decide now not to re-sign RFM (would free up 450-500K and I'd move Hetherington into the backrow to partner TPJ). We should also shed Vaughan, Stimson and Wakeham. We should also try to shop Allan. He's not worth 400-450K we're paying to play reserve grade. Marsters can be back up fullback or even Naden.

I'd like to keep Thompson and Cotric as they will do some damage.

Off contract after 2023
John Asiata, Matt Doorey, Matthew Dufty, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Tui Katoa, Max King, Joe Stimson, Jackson Topine, Paul Vaughan, Brandon Wakeham

2023 team

1 Matt Dufty
2 JAC
3 Brent Naden
4 Braidon Burns /Aaron Schoupp / Paul Alamoti
5 Nick Cotric
6 Matt Burton
7 BBO / Averillo
8 Junior Paulo
9 Reed Mahoney / Api Koroisau
10 Luke Thompson
11 TPJ
12 Jack Hetherington
13 Josh Jackson

14 Jake Averillo / BBO
15 Ava Seumanufagai
16 Mavoni Tuifua
17 John Asiata

SPINE
Matt Dufty
Matt Burton
BBO / Jake Averillo
Reed Mahoney
Fair enough

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Off contract 22
1. Hooker - Smith, Mahoney, Koroisau, Fainu, B. Brailey
2. Fullback - Manu, Gutherson, Edwards
3. Prop - Paulo, Welch, Papali'i, Carrigan, Horsburgh

Off contract 23
1. Hooker - Grant (MO), Cook
2. Fullback - Munster, Latrell, CNK, Staines
3. Prop - NAS, AFB, Tino (PO), Tapine, Martin, Kamikamaica, Leniu, Utoikamanu

Anyone from that list

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Vaughan will never get that type of money again, even if he has a good season. Brooks would be nowhere near 700k either, closer to half that.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting that Manu hasn't extended with the Roosters and they've brought Momirovski in.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s only a handful of players you’d re-sign at the minute. So much depends on how they perform next year. I’d even risk losing one or two over rushing into signing deals.

These threads are pretty pointless with so many variables.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Interesting that Manu hasn't extended with the Roosters and they've brought Momirovski in.
Most likely will be leaving to play fullback/five-eighth elsewhere, most likely Warriors.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Paulo is a great prop but he'd get huge offers. We can't spend a combined $1.7 million on two props and also have TPJ on 750k..

I'd much rather have Mahoney than Api. He makes more of an impact than Api and he's way younger. But I doubt he'd come back here after getting looked over as a junior.

Smith would be great but I could never see him signing with us. I'd love to be wrong.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just wait for 2022 and see what happens. Players become available due to different reasons even if they're on contract. Let's also see how some of our new guys do such as Cook if he gets a chance.

There's players on that list that are no chance - Mahoney will never come back to us, Smith is most likely to go to the Dolphins if anywhere.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Off contract 22
1. Hooker - Smith, Mahoney, Koroisau, Fainu, B. Brailey
2. Fullback - Manu, Gutherson, Edwards
3. Prop - Paulo, Welch, Papali'i, Carrigan, Horsburgh

Off contract 23
1. Hooker - Grant (MO), Cook
2. Fullback - Munster, Latrell, CNK, Staines
3. Prop - NAS, AFB, Tino (PO), Tapine, Martin, Kamikamaica, Leniu, Utoikamanu

Anyone from that list
I recon we have a great chance of getting korisua. Came from rabbits to manly (barrett) left manly when baz went to penrith( barrett). Almost signed with us but backflipped to barrets panthers. Lots of people on here also say they have a good relationship. If we get korisua on not too much go all in for mitchell 2023

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I recon we have a great chance of getting korisua. Came from rabbits to manly (barrett) left manly when baz went to penrith( barrett). Almost signed with us but backflipped to barrets panthers. Lots of people on here also say they have a good relationship. If we get korisua on not too much go all in for mitchell 2023
Do we want Koroisau though? 29 in a couple of weeks and about as injury prone as you can be.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Do we want Koroisau though? 29 in a couple of weeks and about as injury prone as you can be.
Need some experience in the spine got none really except dudfty who is 25 which is still young. Mahoney is injury prone a bit aswell.