Who have been the dud buys in league since 1980 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was brett howland signed for big money?

He came with a reputation but was a dud under the high ball (we are pretty much still hopeless under contested bombs) played a handful of games and ended up in reserve grade. I think went to Penrith and may have played back row there (don't quote me on that)

Outrun sailor once when he was playing for cronulla. Our recruitment has been very hit and miss. We have signed some great players (Morris, Ennis, stagg, halligan, Britt, Pritchard), but have signed a few duds (holdsworth, ngawini, Keating)

If trex didn't sign for 600k people would say he is doing well. I think the price tag brought an expectation of something higher then what he is capable of. His highlight reel was solid at manly, but I am sure even there he had off games.

He hasn't been bustling while at the dogs. Hasn't been our best. But he isn't the reason we lose. He hasn't won us any games but hasn't lose us any either.

At time he sends players flying. I think it's still too early to call him a dud buy. He will be solid for us.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Biggest dud buy for any club ever has been Brian Smith as a a coach. I'll never know why he was held in such high regard in rugby league circles.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Biggest dud buy for any club ever has been Brian Smith as a a coach. I'll never know why he was held in such high regard in rugby league circles.
He is a club killer. I cant think of a single player that has praised him. What is he doing now?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was brett howland signed for big money?

He came with a reputation but was a dud under the high ball (we are pretty much still hopeless under contested bombs) played a handful of games and ended up in reserve grade. I think went to Penrith and may have played back row there (don't quote me on that)

Outrun sailor once when he was playing for cronulla. Our recruitment has been very hit and miss. We have signed some great players (Morris, Ennis, stagg, halligan, Britt, Pritchard), but have signed a few duds (holdsworth, ngawini, Keating)

If trex didn't sign for 600k people would say he is doing well. I think the price tag brought an expectation of something higher then what he is capable of. His highlight reel was solid at manly, but I am sure even there he had off games.

He hasn't been bustling while at the dogs. Hasn't been our best. But he isn't the reason we lose. He hasn't won us any games but hasn't lose us any either.

At time he sends players flying. I think it's still too early to call him a dud buy. He will be solid for us.
I remember him, we signed him together with Patten,Vangana and Jamal lolesi. The club only signed him up for speed ;after we were critcised for having the slowest backline (Halligan,Talau,marteene, lester) in the game.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember Garrick Morgan was the best rugby forward in the game, and signed with the Crushers, he was a dud buy.

When the dogs signed T Rex, I was really pleased. A damaging ball runner I thought.
But is he the worst buy in the modern era, considering he cost 600K ?

Has there been a worse buy ?
we signed some clown called Scott Bennet ( roosters i think ) steve mavin ( souths ) scott wilson and loads of other duds early 90s i think

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Seriously our recruitment is amongst the worst in the league.
Err Graham? Tolman? Pritchard? Eastwood? J Morris? Inu (even though he's a bit outu of form)?. In terms of recruitment, our club has picked up some great players in recent seasons. The mind boggles at some comments on here.

outoforder

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't know. Last year's Minor Premiership was won by a team assembled new to the club in the past 4 years. I'm pretty sure Barba's the only one of that side who debuted prior to 2009. Only Kasiano, Jackson, Finucane from that side came through the junior ranks, the rest were recruited from elsewhere. Sounds decent enough recruitment to me.

If you want shoddy recruitment, look no further than Parramatta then daylight to the Tigers then daylight to any other side.
I look at recruitment in a sense that we have hardly ever recruited to patch up a weakness in our side.

Kasiano, Barba et. al are a credit to our talent scouting rather than recruitment as they have been in our system for years.

We have had the smallest and worst wingers in the league for quite some time.

We have not had a combination of organizing halves since Braith Anasta, Brent Sherwin and Jonathan Thurston.

I give credit to the club for recruiting Graham, Ennis, Morris and Inu.

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Seriously our recruitment is amongst the worst in the league.
Really? Based solely on T-Rex? Everyone thought he was the buy of 2013, I wouldn't put that down to poor recruitment at all.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really? Based solely on T-Rex? Everyone thought he was the buy of 2013, I wouldn't put that down to poor recruitment at all.
Agree 100% at the time we all thought great and most clubs would have signed him

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is a club killer. I cant think of a single player that has praised him. What is he doing now?
I think he is an assistant coach for a union team now. Let him kill another codes clubs.

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
From the 90's

Troy Clarke
Damian ford
Darrien Doherty
Paul Doolan

B

Bonnieclyde

Aren't u that dumb **** that wished graham injury? Another dumb **** on this forum go fuk urself dumb slut fuk u for wishing my fav player injury! To back to supporting the roosters u troll ****

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Aren't u that dumb **** that wished graham injury? Another dumb **** on this forum go fuk urself dumb slut fuk u for wishing my fav player injury! To back to supporting the roosters u troll ****
Yeah that's the troll, no real Bulldog fan would wish any harm on a Dogs player, let alone our best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.