Who Do You think is the Best Goal Kicker Ever?

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Halligan was great in an era that raised the bar with himself ,ridge and Taylor and the balls weren't as round then either .Elmagic was awesome and now Reynolds sets the standard.If I was to take eras into acount is say close tie between halligan and Elmagic.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And tbh I don't back him because he's a Kiwi, I back him for the pressure kicks in the 98 semi Final against Parra.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For mine Hazem and Halligan where top of the list. It was an era where a difficult conversion or penalty goal would demoralise the opponents as the game was more of an arm wrestle than what we have today.
Just for memory's sake, I recall a player by the name of Mike Eden who could take the kicks with either feet depending which side of the posts had the natural arc of the round the corner style.

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hard to split Halligan and El Magic.
With a heavy ball in wet conditions, I’d take Halligan every day (Kiwis are born to thrive in those matches). Otherwise, I’d give it to Hazem by the blade of grass he’d throw up to check the wind direction.
So many massive kicks at massive moments…2004 GF being one(although he didn’t kick them all that day).
Not to mention the record for most consecutive goals.

Small sample size, but Rhys Martin was on his way to becoming a super goal kicker until he pissed off to the ESL.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Halligan and Hazem were great (80%)

but Reynolds is the best and most accurate. Hardly misses. (88%)
Reynolds had 1 season at 88% - 2017 his overall career rate is 82.15%

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Andrew Voss can get fucked, it's Hazem all day over the rest of them (not Reynolds as Voss thinks).

I don't think a single other goalkicker would've kicked the goal Hazem did that windy day at shark park.
Exactly the game I was thinking about. He kicked the ball & made it turn 90 degrees through the posts.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For Canterbury

Halligan was great until El Masri came along & improved a fair bit. That game against the Sharks around 2006 where it was really windy sealed it for me.

1. El Masri
2. Halligan
3. Holland or Bryson Goodwin. Both of their accuracies were up there as well. But overrall

1. El Masri
2. Halligan
3. Reynolds

It's hard to compare players who had to kick a leather ball especially when it was wet & a different shape. The old toe pokers were well beaten by the around the corner kickers.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say I have (3) but I can’t pick one who out of the 3:- Ross Conlon, Daryl Halligan, Hazem El Masri. They made a huge difference to our teams and helped enormously when games were on the line. Who is or was your favourite?
Halligan has the best technique and is strong from both sides. When he misses the ball is still very close to the posts. The other goal kickers have a much bigger hook to the ball so when they miss it swings far away. Hazem's weakness was from the right sideline compared to Halligan.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Andrew Mehrtens for the Canterbury Crusaders was an absolute dead eye dick

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1.Daryl Halligan
2. Mathew ridge
3. Jason Taylor

I grew up watching these men kick and they were great

then halligan taught hazem

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Halligan - Revolutionised goal kicking, under pressure, no one better. Half his kicks would have been using a sand mound..impressive.
1. Hazem - learned from Halligan, equally good under pressure and also revolutionised goal kicking, I may be wrong but thought he was the first to bend the ball when traditionally most were broadly straight shooters..hard to split Halligan and Haz, but having close to 15years of ridiculously accurate goal kicking, good times for Dogs fans!
3. Adam Reynolds - consistently nails them from the touchline, seems to have more difficultly 10-15m in from touch but a sharp shooter who may end up with a better kicking average than Halligan and Haz, but considering kicks under pressure, revolutionising kicking, he’s just behind the top dogs.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would say Daryl Halligan. Eventhough his goal kicking percentage isn't the highest but before everybody started kicking off the Super Tee. They used a bucket a sand which makes goal kicking harder.

1. Daryl Halligan
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Adam Reynolds