Whipper Snipper

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would like to hear some of you guys thoughts. My Stihl 2 stroke whippy is on last legs. Will be purchasing a new one shortly, not sure whether to continue with 2 stroke or change up and go battery. My lawn is standard size, nothing too extravagant.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I got the Ryobi because I liked the fact the battery was interchangle with a bunch of their products. They have since upgraded to the 36v batteries but I got the old 18V. Only used for a small area but works fine definitely strong enough with the 4Ah battery. Bonus I can use it for my drill, blow vac and hedger.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have a couple of nephews who run a mowing and equipment hire company. They swear by electric snippers.

- Typically weigh less and are well balanced. So easier to manoeuvre to get to corners etc.
- Battery life these days is competitive with petrol snippers and you won't need to hit a servo mid job because you forgot to refill your can. As long as you remember to charge the battery pre use you'll get a 2 or more of yards snipped on one battery.
- Typically very simple to operate. Press a button, she's running. No more spending 10 minutes pulling the starter rope on a snipper that won't start hot or cold.

I personally haven't used one. But my nephew swears by them.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have a couple of nephews who run a mowing and equipment hire company. They swear by electric snippers.

- Typically weigh less and are well balanced. So easier to manoeuvre to get to corners etc.
- Battery life these days is competitive with petrol snippers and you won't need to hit a servo mid job because you forgot to refill your can. As long as you remember to charge the battery pre use you'll get a 2 or more of yards snipped on one battery.
- Typically very simple to operate. Press a button, she's running. No more spending 10 minutes pulling the starter rope on a snipper that won't start hot or cold.

I personally haven't used one. But my nephew swears by them.
Thanks mate. That’s what’s making me consider, the pulling off rope to get started. Getting frustrated so pulling twice as hard. Only a matter of time before I throw my shoulder out in anger!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks mate. That’s what’s making me consider, the pulling off rope to get started. Getting frustrated so pulling twice as hard. Only a matter of time before I throw my shoulder out in anger!!
I was pretty sceptical about them. I used some electric tools when they were newish and even drills didn't last long on a charge. So I had doubts that a snipper would work long on one charge. But batteries are far better since then. So the little advantages of having the ability to charge them at home as opposed to buying fuel, 2stroke oil and then having to mix and fill the snipper cuts out some fiddly crap. And I had an old snipper that was temperamental to start. Spent more energy starting that mofo than I used cutting the edges.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve read that the Ego brand are supposed to be really good. I’ve got a Makita battery one, it’s decent. Gets through 100sqm. Never have to pull a cord, no oil changes, spark plugs or fuel to bother me

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have the milwaukee powerhead with the whipper snipper and pole saw. Fucking excellent bit of kit but it is pricey.

I did get it because I use milwaukee tools though

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I have the milwaukee powerhead with the whipper snipper and pole saw. Fucking excellent bit of kit but it is pricey.

I did get it because I use milwaukee tools though
Got the same but 2 stroke stihl, blower, brush cutter and hedger as well. Hedger is a bit nuffy for the small hedges but otherwise, get the motor serviced every few years, change blades when u need to, been good for nearly 10 years.

Due to the size of the blower, looks a bit like a jet engine but thats cool. Happy to blow leaves into the neighbours driveway 4 doors down when and if I need to :grinning:

I needed a new lawnmower so got a victa battery (not a large lawn) and thought I'd get the shell for a smaller Victa hedger. Serious fck around to match the battery up with the lawnmower. Had to fckng order it and took 3 weeks.

So u gunna do electric, do the research on the battery. Can say with Victa it got a bit stupid - think they had 6 battery sizes or something....

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Go for a 4 stroke Stihl!
You will have more power to get through the edges faster.
I used to have one but gave it to my dad because I don't have a lawn anymore.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
4 stroke Honda here. Got like 400 m2 of grass to chip throuh every 3/4 weeks.

Runs like a beast. My only issue with it (but I think they all have them now) is the safety trigger that needs to be held when snipping away.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
4 Stroke Hondas here, mower, blower, snipper. Never had an issue with any of them.

Always a Bulldog

Reaction score
about a year ago had cops turn up for noise complaint, neighbour goes psycho whenever a mower or whipper snapper is being used, apparently her mental health was being harmed.

using an electric one now, not battery you have to plug it in to powerpoint. performance is shit and it seems to burn line way faster then conventional ones. only pros are its light as fuck you could run it for a week non stop and not feel any fatigue

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Would like to hear some of you guys thoughts. My Stihl 2 stroke whippy is on last legs. Will be purchasing a new one shortly, not sure whether to continue with 2 stroke or change up and go battery. My lawn is standard size, nothing too extravagant.
I got the Ryobi because I liked the fact the battery was interchangle with a bunch of their products. They have since upgraded to the 36v batteries but I got the old 18V. Only used for a small area but works fine definitely strong enough with the 4Ah battery. Bonus I can use it for my drill, blow vac and hedger.
Same. I've gone with Makita and got a good deal from Total Tools. It came with a free leaf blower, so that sealed the deal for me.

Was $647 for the bundle:

Whipper Snipper (cables included)
Charger
2 x 18v Batteries
Free Lead Blower

1702249285884.png

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My Stihl died a few months back. Picked up the Ozito PXC 36v, mainly 'cause I already have lots of Ozito equipment. Haven't had an issue with it.

It was pretty cheap though so probably won't last. And if I wasn't locked into the Ozito set, I probably would have gone with a Makita.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Same. I've gone with Makita and got a good deal from Total Tools. It came with a free leaf blower, so that sealed the deal for me.

Was $647 for the bundle:

Whipper Snipper (cables included)
Charger
2 x 18v Batteries
Free Lead Blower

View attachment 98058
Makita might be the better product but since I started with Ryobi I’ll see it through for now. Having the battery compatible to so many other products is very handy. The leaf blower/ Vac is reasonably strong too. That was my main concern with battery power was if the products were strong enough but I haven’t had any real issues

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Makita might be the better product but since I started with Ryobi I’ll see it through for now. Having the battery compatible to so many other products is very handy. The leaf blower/ Vac is reasonably strong too. That was my main concern with battery power was if the products were strong enough but I haven’t had any real issues
They're pretty handy if you have a low maintenance yard. I much prefer petrol for the larger yards.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Same - got Ryobi mower, whipper, edger and hedge trimmer all with interchangeable batteries. Works a treat - have 3 batteries keeping one on charge while the other two do the work - never run out of power. I went electric for the blower/vac thinking I’d need the power and hence almost never use it - elbow grease instead. Something to be said for wireless!