• Total voters

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What made Parra, Cowboys, Rabbits, and Titans, underperform and finish out of the 8, …. 2 of those teams being recent grand finalists …. what made Newcastle click all of a sudden, and go from consistently losing to a successful winning run & play finals ?

Who can say, I’m not predicting it’s going to happen, but to say it can’t happen is naive ..

Top teams underperform and bottom teams over achieve every year, let’s hope we’re due to over achieve ..
Where did I say it can't happen? I don't see what point you're trying to make.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm always optimistic we can make the 8, before the season begins. No question we will need better luck than last year with injuries though

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Outside of Dragons and Tigers I don't think there's any other club I expect us to finish above right now.

Rabbits will improve , Parra underperformed, Cowboys underperformed, Manly maybe? Depends on Tom I guess. Dolphins another maybe. Titans will definitely improve under Des. Any of the top 8 clubs regressing enough? Raiders possibly.
See above for the point I’m trying to make … you stated as a reason for us finishing bottom 3, is teams last year underperformed and you’re predicting them to be better this year ..

I’m simply asking if they underperformed last year what’s to stop them or other teams from underperforming again this year ? ..

And if teams can underperform, what’s to stop us or other teams from over performing ..

I wonder how many expected the Eels, 2022 grad finalists, to not even make the 8 in 2023 ..

My point is, have faith, support your club and team, as anything can happen and they might surprise you ..

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool your jets, fam. We finished two spots above them…. And at least they showed a bit of heart and didn’t give up and stop trying.

Tigers do seem a bit ahead of us in terms of their rebuild, tbh. They have better forwards and a better spine shaping up. Just took a bit longer than I expected for us to see that reflected on the ladder.

PS don’t make me go over all the predictions I’ve been right about, baby!
@Flanagun our defence and our points difference were the worst in the league. We won a lot of games based on last minute kicks. We did luck out in a lot wins. Wests Tigers were able convince Luai they were more attractive than us despite both offers being the same. This was a big loss for Gould. I heard Luai only mentioned Ciraldo and not Gould in the press conference.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opening rounds are when the weaker teams flex because most of the good teams haven’t bothered to show up yet. Dragons are perennial March premiers.

Our front rotation is diabolical. Mid table is very ambitious
@Flanagun we all saw it a mile away and Gus was 2 steps behind.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
See above for the point I’m trying to make … you stated as a reason for us finishing bottom 3, is teams last year underperformed and you’re predicting them to be better this year ..

I’m simply asking if they underperformed last year what’s to stop them or other teams from underperforming again this year ? ..

And if teams can underperform, what’s to stop us or other teams from over performing ..

I wonder how many expected the Eels, 2022 grad finalists, to not even make the 8 in 2023 ..

My point is, have faith, support your club and team, as anything can happen and they might surprise you ..
Anything can happen but it probably won't.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m with with you on this one BT, if we can place a value on defence for 26 rounds and attack with body’s in motion and execute sharply, that’s a huge leap forward.

We defended with kids last year and senior players like Kikau were trying too hard at times shooting out of the line to create something but ending up with duck eggs. Our team should have genuine NRL experience lining up this season and Crichton should tighten up our D out wide.
I'm hoping experienced guys like Mann, Hutchinson and Turpin (even if the last two don't play much FG) being such competitors and good defenders rubs off on the rest of the squad throughout the preseason.. Curran misses a decent amount of tackles but he adds a lot of muscle and starch and tries to put shots on. Critta's defence out wide will add a lot too. We need a new mentality across the squad that hopefully rubs off on the worst defenders last year like Mahoney, Burton etc..

Defence is all about trust and if each player can trust and rely on the man inside and outside of them, then that's half the battle. Last year there were gaps everywhere and zero communication. Like you said if we can address that finally then we can hopefully finally see our strike players in better positions to succeed in attack.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Flanagun our defence and our points difference were the worst in the league. We won a lot of games based on last minute kicks. We did luck out in a lot wins. Wests Tigers were able convince Luai they were more attractive than us despite both offers being the same. This was a big loss for Gould. I heard Luai only mentioned Ciraldo and not Gould in the press conference.
Hey Polly, mate would you mind letting me know, how you know, that we offered the same $1.25mill over 5 years that the Tigers offered ..

Also what games did we win on last minute kicks ?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hey Polly, mate would you mind letting me know, how you know, that we offered the same $1.25mill that the Tigers offered ..

Also what games did we win on last minute kicks ?
This will be interesting

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping experienced guys like Mann, Hutchinson and Turpin (even if the last two don't play much FG) being such competitors and good defenders rubs off on the rest of the squad throughout the preseason.. Curran misses a decent amount of tackles but he adds a lot of muscle and starch and tries to put shots on. Critta's defence out wide will add a lot too. We need a new mentality across the squad that hopefully rubs off on the worst defenders last year like Mahoney, Burton etc..

Defence is all about trust and if each player can trust and rely on the man inside and outside of them, then that's half the battle. Last year there were gaps everywhere and zero communication. Like you said if we can address that finally then we can hopefully finally see our strike players in better positions to succeed in attack.
Well said mate! As you stated, a good Defence encompasses trust and discipline, we had neither last season… I can’t imagine our most senior guys having much confidence on game day with more than half the team filling in from NSW cup at times.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just want to see us defend and compete a million times better than last season.

Every season a few teams everyone expected to make the finals miss the 8 and worse and a few teams everyone wrote off surprises.. I doubt we make the 8, but hopefully we can finish higher than most people think...
Amen.

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Travis touma and I believe we were his 3rd club in 3 yrs. Roosters and bunny’s were quick to move him on
We were his third club in three years but your version of events isn't exactly right.

Firstly, he was with the Roosters for nine years so they weren't quick to move him on by any stretch. After the 2019 Grand Final, Robinson praised Touma for his contribution to the premiership win (the third in his time with the club).

As per the clip below, the reality is he was poached by the Rabbitohs.

1704619942486.png

And, while he left the Rabbits after one year, it didn't happen the way you represented it. Below is the clip from the Sydney Morning Herald.

1704620236306.png

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We were his third club in three years but your version of events isn't exactly right.

Firstly, he was with the Roosters for nine years so they weren't quick to move him on by any stretch. After the 2019 Grand Final, Robinson praised Touma for his contribution to the premiership win (the third in his time with the club).

As per the clip below, the reality is he was poached by the Rabbitohs.

View attachment 99869

And, while he left the Rabbits after one year, it didn't happen the way you represented it. Below is the clip from the Sydney Morning Herald.

View attachment 99870
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Facts...................................The TROLL SQUADs worst enemy.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When our starting front rowers get injured our last place spot will be cemented
Surprised no one has liked or followed on from this post.

I'm hugely optimistic about the coming season and can't wait for it to start.

I believe we've improved significantly across the part and can only go up.

But ...

Our starting front rowers should be starting on the bench at best, at least at the start of the season.

Which highlights the complete lack of depth we E got there.

An injury or two to our starting props and we're in massive massive trouble imo.

Fingers crossed the lads stay fit