When will we start playing like the other teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ive had enough of watching our forward dominant game plan! Its already been 4 years and nothing has come out of it. Is it that hard to buy a dominant half back or five eigth that will see the game plan revolve around them. I cant help but admire the halves of the other teams. We are a rich club, I dont see why we cant buy talented halves and play like the others. I would sacrifice two forwards for a quality half.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When you have three of the worst halves to play the game in the past 10 years you have to think creatively. I think Des is a genius to get us to where we are.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
When will we start playing like the other teams?

A few simple requirements:

1. When we have a coach with a game plan that focuses on both attack and defence and introduces disciplined long andshort kicking games.

2. When we have teams selected on form and fitness - not favourites.

3. When we have a player roster that isn't riddled with unfit, injured and out of form players.

4. A halves pairing that control the game.

5. A pack of fit and aggressive forwards.

doggi3s

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our forwards are great they just need to run like klemmer.

Problem is they have nice hearts and are genuinely nice guys so that reflects on the field

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
When you have three of the worst halves to play the game in the past 10 years you have to think creatively. I think Des is a genius to get us to where we are.
yet they worrying issue is we are never looking for a halfback.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hasler is stuck in 2012.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Really can't believe we cannot attract a good half back. We make do with what we have sadly.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Really can't believe we cannot attract a good half back. We make do with what we have sadly.
Or even looking for one. we should have been looking for a hb years ago, we always knew hokko was one injury away from never playing again. yet we never even looked at a backup half.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Or even looking for one. we should have been looking for a hb years ago, we always knew hokko was one injury away from never playing again. yet we never even looked at a backup half.
We don't know we haven't been looking. I'm sure we have... We just haven't been able to land one.

I think the big prob is there aren't many first class halves.

Jt
Sj
Cronk

Would be what I would consider first tier. Ain't none of them switching clubs.

The next tier would be people like

Hunt
Milford
Austin
Maybe Maloney?

Too costly to risk... I dunno. None of them would probably switch to us either.

Unless we can nab Carney I don't see many options for us but trying to make do with what we have.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
We don't know we haven't been looking. I'm sure we have... We just haven't been able to land one.

I think the big prob is there aren't many first class halves.

Jt
Sj
Cronk

Would be what I would consider first tier. Ain't none of them switching clubs.

The next tier would be people like

Hunt
Milford
Austin
Maybe Maloney?

Too costly to risk... I dunno. None of them would probably switch to us either.

Unless we can nab Carney I don't see many options for us but trying to make do with what we have.
I agree with your 1st class and 1st tier. although I think any halfback at the moment is better than none.
im going to use sam Williams as an example because he is the only hb that is coming to my mind that would most likely come. sure he isn't the best on the market we will all agree on that, but at least he has a good kicking game and had good try assists numbers this year. Any hb would be a blessing at the moment.

Gingerbread Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not only are we missing halves that can control a game and a game plan, we have been been missing since 2012 a fullback that can create, pass the ball and set up a play. To make it worse, the way Hasler makes the hooker play means the hooker can't set up the play either. So we're stuffed no matter how you look at it. I don't like Barba but at least in 2012 he created as much tries as he scored.

Look at the cowboys and broncos. The halves, fullbacks and hookers can all pass and create.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
We will start playing like other teams when...
1) Other coaches start believing that winning football games is as simple as not dropping a ball and the rest will sort itself out
2) Other teams make their halves redundant and use their forwards to bumble their way through the playmaking job
3) When other teams forget the value of offloads, repeat sets and taking on the line in attack.
4) When other teams are too busy during the week to practice kicking, passing or any basic skill work.
5) When other coaches become ultra conservative with their game plan and selections and refuse to pick young players simply because they're young.
6) When other teams decide to play the ball 3 X slower than they have been

In summing up we will play like other teams when they decide to lower their standards because if anyone thinks we will be raising our standards anytime soon, their dreaming.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Not only are we missing halves that can control a game and a game plan, we have been been missing since 2012 a fullback that can create, pass the ball and set up a play. To make it worse, the way Hasler makes the hooker play means the hooker can't set up the play either. So we're stuffed no matter how you look at it. I don't like Barba but at least in 2012 he created as much tries as he scored.

Look at the cowboys and broncos. The halves, fullbacks and hookers can all pass and create.

We have BMoz at the back dude. Turning the worlds best winger into the least involved fullback in the NRL was a masterstroke.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Plus the other factor is that we only buy players who are 2 or 3 years away from FG which fails as usually we need them now. This then makes as "make do" with what we have and then the player moves on causing us to start again with a player who is years away from FG. Stuck in a bad loop.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our problem is the success we had in 2012 in Haslers first year. If that forward tip on plan had failed he would have tried something else by now. But as it was successful Des believes that all we need to do is get back to that style and all will be good again.

You see, despite opinions to the contrary, we have tried to get a top rating half...Thurston then Foran since then, and failed. So Des's mindset is still...we aint got no halves...so you make do with what youve got. Hes of the belief that all we needed was to replace Barba with another running fullback (enter BMoz) and all will be sweet aka 2012 style.

We will have a diabolical 2016 given our roster and diminished interchange if we do not put more work into the halves directing play. Raylene would look really silly if she extends Des and we have a 2016 missing the 8. SOS Andrew Johns. Grub and Mbye greatlly respect him. Hes the only immortal halfback. Get him to Belmore or pack your bags Des.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
The best game we played this year imo was the canberra game I know it was a high scoring match but our halfs played together threw the ball around , forwards where runing into holes it's was great to watch

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have courted many halfbacks. Perhaps they all heard what Des had to say and thought fark this.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
The best game we played this year imo was the canberra game I know it was a high scoring match but our halfs played together threw the ball around , forwards where runing into holes it's was great to watch
Yeah I was thrilled we almost gave up a 30 point lead

Status
Not open for further replies.