Opinion When will Matt Burton leave the Bulldogs?

How long will Matt Burton be at the Bulldogs?

• Total voters

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I clicked first option but that will change if the club can find him a genuine 7 that will make him grow before 2023. We are in need of a organiser and a 7 who can take control of the whole team so that Burton can play his natural game. Besides the lower ranked teams most top 8 sides already have a great 6 playing so I doubt he will leave if it’s for another average club.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I really hope he is our long term 5/8, but my gut says he’ll see out next year and then opt out if there’s a 6 position available at that time. He needs a good 7 with him and some go forward for him to play his best footy. At this stage we don’t have either for 2023 so I doubt he’ll stay beyond that. Regardless of who we recruit for 2024.
Yeah, I tend to agree.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I clicked first option but that will change if the club can find him a genuine 7 that will make him grow before 2023. We are in need of a organiser and a 7 who can take control of the whole team so that Burton can play his natural game. Besides the lower ranked teams most top 8 sides already have a great 6 playing so I doubt he will leave if it’s for another average club.
Roosters halves are their wekness. Keary is good but injury prone and getting on....Walker is not as talented as Burton. If Roosters get Munster, a position will open up at Melbourne. I think he is an elite talent, even if he hasn't realised his potential. There will be options for him.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until Gus wheels out his new coach it's pure guess work of course but I believe he'll go back to Penrith as a centre. It's hard to tell if he has any improvement left in him as a 6 and is clearly struggling with all the kicking duties and trying to run the side.
This is thing at shits Flanagan 80% plus goal kicker while Burton is 65%.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Burton has a lot to consider. Unlike others, i think he is an awesome talent and if we lose him, itwill be one we regret. If there is a good coach appointed a half and fullback to go with Mahoney then i reckon Gus can convince him with a bit of an upgrade. IMO, there is alot of uncertainty, seeing Fox getting dropped for playing for the dogs etc. which i wouldnt blame him for considering his option.
Where are this fullback at halfback? When one of these eventually show up on the market we're going to have to spend big money to sign them. If Burton's form doesn't lift during the second half of the season and first half of next season then you let him go and move on. We can't afford to pay him big money and miss out potential targets that would actually make a key difference to the side.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok la familiars,

I have made no secret of the fact I think a cannibal would show more enthusiasm for a tofu dinner than Matt Burton shows for our club. I think he'll be out the door at the first available opportunity. But I wanted to get other people's feelings on the subject. How long do you think he'll be a dog? Is he our long term five eighth? Should we already start planning for a future without him?
The way it works in life...
You need to be prepared to push the bus to deserve to be on it.
I am confident Burton wants to push the bus before getting on it !

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Where do you think he will go then?
Redcliffe?
Given Keary’s history of headknocks, he’s one or two more concussions away from what happened to Cordner. If Burton goes, could be a chook.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The way it works in life...
You need to be prepared to push the bus to deserve to be on it.
I am confident Burton wants to push the bus before getting on it !
I don't even think he is willing to ride the bus. He wants the limo treatment...and if his ride breaks down, I don't see him pushing it.... lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Given Keary’s history of headknocks, he’s one or two more concussions away from what happened to Cordner. If Burton goes, could be a chook.
Yep....or could go to the Storm if the Chooks nab Munster.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters halves are their wekness. Keary is good but injury prone and getting on....Walker is not as talented as Burton. If Roosters get Munster, a position will open up at Melbourne. I think he is an elite talent, even if he hasn't realised his potential. There will be options for him.
Totally agree I personally don’t want to see him leave but I can’t see him coming from a Penrith side who always won incl lower grades to sticking it out here at one of the worst clubs in nrl atm. If he does, it’s either great money or he is more loyal then anyone of us thought

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Where are this fullback at halfback? When one of these eventually show up on the market we're going to have to spend big money to sign them. If Burton's form doesn't lift during the second half of the season and first half of next season then you let him go and move on. We can't afford to pay him big money and miss out potential targets that would actually make a key difference to the side.
Million dollar question bro! Fullback might be toia. See how he goes if he gets a run later this year. Gus needs to find a half or the new coach has to attract one. I'm hopeful that Burton gets better service from mahoney and with some strike from Kikau he will have more options....and play a lot better. Hopefully we have already wrapped him up with a smallish upgrade an extension.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Penrith system shows they can replace most players without too much negative impact on the team.
I doubt Panthers are seeking him out with Tago playing well enough. Also doubt he would be happy to take a big pay cut to return there.

Nothing would surprise me though
It's more than money for a lot of players. Winning comps and playing rep footy means a lot.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Wow....more than half of people so far think he will stay long term. I admire your optimism, la familiars.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Bulldogs extend Flanagans contract, Burton will go. Doesn’t seem to be a good fit at the moment.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get this crap about Burton leaving. Where is this coming from? We are a basket case of a club so of course he's unhappy now. Every player in the club should be filthy and if they're not they should be out the door for putting up with mediocrity.

Burton's future hinges on the next coach. If we hire a dud like Green or McGuire then yes Burton is gone. If we get Fitler or Ciraldo he'll stay.

I have no doubt in my mind that if Gus wants him he will stay. Gus is even more of a smooth talker than Baz was so I can't see us losing him. I cant recall Gus losing a player he really wanted to keep.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
He’s not going anywhere.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Ok la familiars,

I have made no secret of the fact I think a cannibal would show more enthusiasm for a tofu dinner than Matt Burton shows for our club. I think he'll be out the door at the first available opportunity. But I wanted to get other people's feelings on the subject. How long do you think he'll be a dog? Is he our long term five eighth? Should we already start planning for a future without him?
Can someone ban this dumb fuck mut already

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Million dollar question bro! Fullback might be toia. See how he goes if he gets a run later this year. Gus needs to find a half or the new coach has to attract one. I'm hopeful that Burton gets better service from mahoney and with some strike from Kikau he will have more options....and play a lot better. Hopefully we have already wrapped him up with a smallish upgrade an extension.
Nasheed was right (lol), so many of us laughed at his Townsend obsession but he's been key to the Cowboys rise under Payten. Same story at Brisbane with Reynolds, bloke has totally turned them around to the point where Tiger rejects like Gamble and Walters can still get the job done even without Reynolds on the field.

We need to be making key signings like this, the types of signing that are going to form the core of your squad and make everyone around them better players. Mahoney falls into this category, Kikau (when he's switched on) probably does to. Burton imo doesn't and it's why I hope we haven't invested a cent more than we already have in him. Can't be paying him big coin when he's still lacking in so many areas while also trying to develop a halfback and fullback alongside him. Needs to prove himself in the backend of this season and then have a large ok at him next season under new management before committing to anything.