ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Frankie would of been perfect.

I'd give the captaincy to Jackson.

BUT

If we take it off Graham it's would smash his confidence plus make the club look even more stupid.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need a ruler and an organizer that can bark orders at our troops and take control of a game , so I guess we need a halfback

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs Biggest Challenge for 2016

Biggest challenge:
Changing their style

Frank Pritchard and Trent Hodkinson are big outs for the Dogs but with plenty of cover in the forwards and Moses Mbye a promising replacement at halfback, the bigger challenge for Des Hasler, according to Kimmorley, is reworking their playing style.

“I think the Dogs need to give their halves a bit more first ball going forward and not play everything through the big front rowers,” Kimmorley said. “I think that’s the way to move forward and if you’ve got Moses Mbye as you developing half you want to see the ball in his hands more often.”

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A game winning halfback, and a solid hooker. Pretty hard to win anything without these two key positions covered.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
A hunger to fight for the 2 points.
There is a lack of leadership and mental toughness with this group. Forget the HB/H/FB dilema, it is the lack of desperation that is the biggest worry. The Des Hasler mantra of the comp doesn't strat till rounds 7-9 is absolute bullshit. Seasons are set up from good starts. Very few teams have made the GF from bad starts (Roosters and now Cowboys) have done it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A hunger to fight for the 2 points.
There is a lack of leadership and mental toughness with this group. Forget the HB/H/FB dilema, it is the lack of desperation that is the biggest worry. The Des Hasler mantra of the comp doesn't strat till rounds 7-9 is absolute bullshit. Seasons are set up from good starts. Very few teams have made the GF from bad starts (Roosters and now Cowboys) have done it.
Hate to say it, but I think James Graham isn't he player he was a couple years ago. Not sure why - getting older, not as hungry?

He's still a great player, but 2 years ago I would have rated him the best prop in the game, but Matt Scott is streets ahead of him these days.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
See I'd have to respectfully disagree on the issue of hunger. I think the team has desperation in spades. There has been a lot of times where the game has been all but over but they have managed to pull something out of their proverbial.

Games against teams that, frankly should have been push overs were too close (Warriors, Dragons etc) - it's baffling to compare the team that turned up against Melbourne at Belmore vs the team that turned up in the lead up to, and finals proper. Is it a discipline issue? Comfort? Coaching? Laziness? Lethargy?

Game management is the key. Sustained pressure through completed sets and smart kicking, taking opportunities for points when they arise, never relaxing in defence.

They need a General.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben barba
As much as I hate him I wouldn't mind getting him back I think he could start to ccarve things up again once the new interchange rule kicks in

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need the other 15 clubs to be caught cheating the salary cap and then maybe just maybe we might beat the "bye" and secure the premiership!

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
See I'd have to respectfully disagree on the issue of hunger. I think the team has desperation in spades. There has been a lot of times where the game has been all but over but they have managed to pull something out of their proverbial.

Games against teams that, frankly should have been push overs were too close (Warriors, Dragons etc) - it's baffling to compare the team that turned up against Melbourne at Belmore vs the team that turned up in the lead up to, and finals proper. Is it a discipline issue? Comfort? Coaching? Laziness? Lethargy?

Game management is the key. Sustained pressure through completed sets and smart kicking, taking opportunities for points when they arise, never relaxing in defence.

They need a General.
Pretty harsh considering we lost our first choice hooker and halfback.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

BUT

If we take it off Graham it's would smash his confidence plus make the club look even more stupid.
I think you've picked the right man for the job ASSASSIN.

If Graham lost the captaincy I think it would bre a huge weight off his shoulders. The thing he can't do as captain is play his own game, lead the side his way and show respect to the referees when they give him the shits.

Going back ti 2014 Graham was a very passionate player; he did a lot of talking and led the side by example although Ennis had the (c).

If Josh Jackson did get the (c) and Graham went back to beng the best front rower in the NRL order would be restored.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty harsh considering we lost our first choice hooker and halfback.
?

Where am I being harsh?

Are you saying that Hodkinson being injured is to blame for terrible completion rates and mistake ridden footy?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

BUT

It was a mistake giving the captaincy to Graham and you're right it would be a bigger mistake to now take it of him.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Aside from the terrible game against the sharks, I think the team was really starting to build coming into the finals. Losing Lichaa was a blow but Cook stepped in and performed beyond expectations. Losing Hodko though, who was just starting to recapture some good form was just one hurdle too many.

The guys had zero confidence in their ability as a team after that. Have you ever seen a team so conservative as we were against the Saints? How would most teams go losing their hooker and halfback on the eve of the finals?

I do agree yes, we look like absolute crap sometimes, which is unacceptable for our club and our team. But I don't think it's all doom and gloom for next season either.

You are right, we need a halfback who can lead, call the shots, kick in general play, last tackle options, etc. Who and where is this player though? I mean if you could have anyone who would it be? There are 3 standouts- Cronk, Thurston and DCE. Then there is a big gap but still capable generals in Hunt, Pearce, A.Reynolds, Johnson. So unless we are talking about a rookie, who can and should we target?

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Aside from the terrible game against the sharks, I think the team was really starting to build coming into the finals. Losing Lichaa was a blow but Cook stepped in and performed beyond expectations. Losing Hodko though, who was just starting to recapture some good form was just one hurdle too many.

The guys had zero confidence in their ability as a team after that. Have you ever seen a team so conservative as we were against the Saints? How would most teams go losing their hooker and halfback on the eve of the finals?

I do agree yes, we look like absolute crap sometimes, which is unacceptable for our club and our team. But I don't think it's all doom and gloom for next season either.

You are right, we need a halfback who can lead, call the shots, kick in general play, last tackle options, etc. Who and where is this player though? I mean if you could have anyone who would it be? There are 3 standouts- Cronk, Thurston and DCE. Then there is a big gap but still capable generals in Hunt, Pearce, A.Reynolds, Johnson. So unless we are talking about a rookie, who can and should we target?
I would rate Johnson and Hunt in the same level as Cronk, Thurston and DCE.
Out of all the half's Johnson is by far the most gifted and naturally talented. Cronk is probably the best at organising.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

For mine (theoretically) A.Reynolds or Cronk would be the perfect options for us to chase. Cronk is essentially a more refined Hodkinson, would be great to have someone of his work ethic around to mentor "Stage 2" of a long term Half back plan.

A.Reynolds could quite easily be brilliant behind our pack, may need to work on his authority though.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
A Reynolds would of been perfect for us. Would even be perfect to partner J Reynolds or Mbye.

Not an option though.

The annoying thing is with young kids like Egley and Taylor etc not even getting a sniff.

abedee

Waterboy
Reaction score
What we need most is to reverse time and keep a certain future immortal!

Status
Not open for further replies.