Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Canterbury Bulldogs $1 million next season

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The NRL should not have the power to reject any contract a player signs with a club.
They do though. They've done it before with Folau. It's written in their guidelines. If a player is being paid significantly less than their market value, then the NRL cap auditor isn't supposed to approve the contract.

Since the Titans set his value at $1.25 million, the Broncos offer of 525k less qualifies as "significantly less" than market value and they shouldn't sign off on the deal.

But since it's the Broncos, the NRL will allow it and turn a blind eye to the Broncos paying him close to the difference in salary under the table.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has 3 offers on the table and only wants to sign a 1 year contract so he can get rid of his manager.

I don't think he's worth that but if I were him I'd join the Titans.
Steve "Streakin" Deacon mustn't be a very good manager, he lost Mitchell last year and now Fifita?

It really is a choice between a basket case and case of baskets. Fifita should be thinking about 2022 and which club will be in a better position then rather than 2021 imo.

Malla

Reaction score
Fifita should take the money. Judging by the knee issues he is already having at this stage of his career, he won't be as effective for too long.

Malla

Reaction score
They do though. They've done it before with Folau. It's written in their guidelines. If a player is being paid significantly less than their market value, then the NRL cap auditor isn't supposed to approve the contract.

Since the Titans set his value at $1.25 million, the Broncos offer of 525k less qualifies as "significantly less" than market value and they shouldn't sign off on the deal.

But since it's the Broncos, the NRL will allow it and turn a blind eye to the Broncos paying him close to the difference in salary under the table.
Yes, its based upon the market value of that player however just because Titans offered that amount does not mean that is the players market value.

I don't know what goes in to working out a players value, but $1.25mil is substantially above Fifita's value.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes, its based upon the market value of that player however just because Titans offered that amount does not mean that is the players market value.

I don't know what goes in to working out a players value, but $1.25mil is substantially above Fifita's value.
Yeah I agree that he's not worth that much money right now. But if a club is willing to pay that and both us and Souths offered $1 million or more than you now have at least three clubs that were willing to pay a million or more for him.

So his market value is at least $1 million. 700k is still way below that. Especially when you consider Brisbane are as big a mess as the Titans. And the Titans are also in QLD which was one of his conditions.

So unless Brisbane are making up the difference under the table, where is the incentive to stay for 500k less? They can't even use the Bennett excuse of wanting to play under him. Who wants to play for Seibold? They all hate him!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fifita should take the money. Judging by the knee issues he is already having at this stage of his career, he won't be as effective for too long.
That's the other thing. Players careers are hanging by a thread and one or two bad injuries can ruin everything. Like you said, Fifita has had several injuries already.

So it's madness to turn down $6 million for five years for a one year 700k deal.

Even with the manager situation, pay him the 200k cut out of the 6 million as the Titans are offering more to compensate him for the agents fees.

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah I agree that he's not worth that much money right now. But if a club is willing to pay that and both us and Souths offered $1 million or more than you now have at least three clubs that were willing to pay a million or more for him.

So his market value is at least $1 million. 700k is still way below that. Especially when you consider Brisbane are as big a mess as the Titans. And the Titans are also in QLD which was one of his conditions.

So unless Brisbane are making up the difference under the table, where is the incentive to stay for 500k less? They can't even use the Bennett excuse of wanting to play under him. Who wants to play for Seibold? They all hate him!
I am not sure on that one yet. I think he is being paid purely on potential. In terms of results - he has done nothing compared to other forwards. 700-800k seems low, but I think its about right for him.

Will he get that? No chance. He's going to get upwards of a mil easily.

And I can't believe this flog has conditions. Please. You've been in the comp a few minutes, arrested in Bali for being a gronk and barely played a full season without injury. Broncos or Titans can have him.

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just reported. The Titans get their man. David Fifita signs a bumper 6 year deal worth a reported $8.45 million. That’s 1.4million a season :|

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just reported. The Titans get their man. David Fifita signs a bumper 6 year deal worth a reported $8.45 million. That’s 1.4million a season :|
Where did you see that? That would be mental.. It's 15% of your cap on one player..

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I voted Titans, but if you're serious about what's best for his career... then it would be the smart choice to go to the Roosters if an offer is there.

Top coach, top squad and guaranteed success.

I definitely wouldnt stay at the Broncos in their current state for that money. That's what it sounds like he'll do though.

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Could be lies, just posted on Twitter.

from all accounts he wanted a year deal because that’s when his management deal ends. So I would think he will do the one year then a big deal under new management.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant be true thats insane. Titans cant be that foolish..

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay, Seibold, Holbrook. Club paying the biggest dollars has the best coach no brainer for mine