What Made You Choose Canterbury As The Team You Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BULLDOG GEORGE

i found it was the ethnic team and my friends all supported them at the time.

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
My old man played lower grades for the Berries and we just grew up surrounded by it. 84 GF is the first one I can remember and we actually lived next door to Brad Morrin at Moorebank when we were kids. We always talked about playing for the Dogs and he actually did.

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lived in Dulwich Hill, was my first memory of Rugby League (1980 grand final). I went for Canterbury because I loved the colours and the mascot and because Canterbury was 2 suburbs away, we always went to the Canterbury/Hurlstone Park RSL for Wednesday night dinners. Then when they won that game and that Steve Gearin try mesmorised me and that's all it took. :grinning:

Besides, what good is a rooster as a mascot anyway, haha

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Born in Tripoli, Lebanon 1984
Moved to Greenacre in 1986
When I turned 5, my father used to sit me down and watch the dogs.
Apparently he nearly threw me out of the window when the Dogs beat Balmain in 88.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Lived in the area and started supporting the almighty bulldogs in the mid 90s

haburgess51

Waterboy
Reaction score
My uncle took me to a game and I saw a magnificent fullback named Les Johns play way back in about 1963. At the time I was a Parramatta supporter but Les Johns changed all of that for me. Have stuck by the team through thick and thin since then. Always a Doggies supporter.

GP

Waterboy
Reaction score
Before the 1988 grand final I didnt really follow any team, however I remember going to a friends place during the grand final and the whole family was supporting Balmain. Being the **** stirrer that I am, I started cheering on the Dogs. Watching them all get so upset when Terry Lamb knocked out Hanley gave me plenty of ammunition! Have followed them ever since. Also helped that I spent many years living in Canterbury and I live in Wiley Park at the moment!

MPS

I'm Old Gregg
Reaction score
Started following Dogs in 1989 when I was 10 years old, living in Canberra.

Scalens footy cards (see avatar) got me into it.

Been a Dog ever since.

Dog for life

BOOKER

Waterboy
Reaction score
Steve Gearin used to practice his goal kicking at Five Dock Park were we used to kick the footy around as kids.One arvo he placed the ball for us teaching us how to kick.Then he scored that TRY in the 1980 GF and that was it !

dukes

like you no wateva?
Reaction score
i began watching footy when at the age of 10 the saints and melbourne were in the finals it was 98 or 99. my older sisters supported the balmain as the grew older they got disinterested in footy altogether my brother supports the broncos and i didnt support anyteam but i just liked watching the games. until 2002 it all began when bulldogs played the game before they got stripped of their competion points. as the game came to an end and the dogs won that game, i saw the fans running on thef ield to cheer the team and thats when it hit me i said want to be apart of that true loyal bulldog fan like all those passionate fans that love their club through thick and thin no matter. ever since then i love the club even though i havent supported them for long im a fanatic, i even got 4 of my sisters to follow the dogs and i havent regreted the day i began cheering them on

p.s my dad really hates the bulldogs lol and always gives it to me when they lose :grinning:

me_2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bankstown Born and Bred. Family took me to be first game at Belmore when I was 3!

BarkSideOfTheMoon

Previously gjones80
Reaction score
Bankstown born & bred. I was on the hill in the stroller. I wouldn't want to support any other team.

c/town bulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I started supporting them in 88 it come to i was about 6 years old, and mum and dad, let me and my sister watch the grand final, i wanted the bulldogs to win and ever since then, i have loved them.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first game of footy I can remember was the Berries v St George,
where we won 19 to 15, must have been around 1976/77, I have
been supporting them ever since.

Friends and family scratch their heads why I go for the Dogs, I was
Born in Balmain, lived in the Penrith area as a kid, father & brother
are Parra supporters, mum is a Sharks supporter growing up in the shire.
The mum tried to make me and the bro shark supporters, but oneday
whilst wearing a sharks t-shirt I was hit by a car, I took that as a sign
never to wear that filth ever again.....

Though I am seeing now how this could happen, from birth my son has
been wearing doggies colours, and we have been drumming the Dogs into
him, but he also likes the Raiders, mainly thru the colour green that they
wear, its going to take some time I'd imagine but I am going to get those
evil Canberra thoughts out of his head....

The Coyote

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Born and raised in Bankstown.

I was born in the year Canterbury-Bankstown became known as the Bulldogs.

There was always Blue and White and Bulldog hysteria seeing as I grew up during the Bulldogs golden era.

Here is a nice story if you have the time to read...

At Christmas in 1983 my mum asked me what I wanted for Christmas (yes... I grew up in a house that didn't fill their kids heads with bullsht). I asked for a Bulldogs jumper...
(you know the one?.. it had the cartoony kinda bulldog stepping foward with claws and teeth showing, spiked collar... made it look like he was ripping off the jumper itself... anyway...)

My mum asked, "What colours do the Bulldogs wear?" (she knew nothing about footy... still doesn't really...)

I said, "They're Blue and White! Derr head !!!"
(probably got a backhander for saying derr head but anyhoo)

She bought me a Newtown Jets jumper... I remember crying and crying... "You got the wrong one... you're a deerr head derr head...." and kept bawling... (fk I was a little brat)

The next day, my dad gave me a new jumper... the right one... the Bulldogs supporters jumper... I remember him asking my mum, "Why didn't you get this one? It's blue and white and has a Bulldog on the front?"

My mum said, "Because this one (Newtown jets) was on sale at half price and I didn't think he'd know the difference..."

I still laugh thinking about it... hehe... I love my mum...

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
...mum tried to make me and the bro shark supporters, but oneday
whilst wearing a sharks t-shirt I was hit by a car, I took that as a sign
never to wear that filth ever again.....

The Coyote

LMFAO

BTK

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Where i come from its a sin to go for any other team. All my mates family everyone goes for them, part of the culture, go for any1 else and most likely your getting bashed on gameday. Live it Breathe it Love it

tjar1307

New Pup
Reaction score
well I lived in bankstown 1947to 1967, went to school at bankstown De La Salle followed the berries when belmore was an oval and Brian Davies was capt. Ross Kidd was half ,saw the kid from newcastle ( Les Johns) in action.
Billy Petley a great fullback with a slick hairdo. so many great players over the last 50 years.

5/8

Loyal Royal Blue & White
Reaction score
grew up in campsie,canterbury bankstown rlfc junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.