what made u support da doggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Born in Canterbury hospital. Raised in Bankstown.
Moved to Newcastle when I was 19 (9years ago). Love to show my Bulldogs tattoo off to all the Newcastle people at every opportunity!!

fobsicle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like ur tat. i wana get one just like dat on my shoulder blade

>iTs A dOgG LyF<

.aka. DoG4LyFe
Reaction score
also born in canterbury hospital. raised in campsie my whole life. am nearly 17 & started supporting the dogs when i was 3 when my dad took me to games. i am now the biggest bulldog freak even overtaking my dad. have gone to many, many games in the years since & have turned some of my friends into fans- even got them to grand final this year

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
i wrote a half-page essay as to why i go for them... it was gold too!

if i could dig it up back at the old kennel i would... LOL

Pineapple_Boy

Waterboy
Reaction score
When the doggies started playin matches at Tesltra in 1999 when i was like 10 they were the first NRL matches i had ever seen. I was instantly hooked to it and the Doggies.
And it makes it fun with all the arguments I have with the Roosters supporters at school about which team is better.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
I had a 20c bet with my newsagent on the 1980 GF when I was 6. I went in to buy my copy of RLW and he asked me who I thought would win. I picked the Dogs (thankfully) and have stuck with them ever since.

My support was strengthened when my brother started supporting Parramatta the following year.

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
i was just born a purebred...
i know no differant,i love league and as long as i can remember i was a dogs supporter.i just always have been.i know no differant...
and what makes it all better is that i have lived in qld for the last 10 years...
i love rubbing it in.....

BRONCOS SUCK AS MUCH AS ROOSTERS...

sorry but when you live up here you will know what i mean..
there queenslands roosters...

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
coastaldog said:
i was just born a purebred...
i know no different,i love league and as long as i can remember i was a dogs supporter.i just always have been.i know no different...

Yeah thats what I should of said origanlly!!!

Jamez

Keefys Bro
Reaction score
i grew up as a paramatta supporter but when they started 2 lose more often i lost interest im them cos i like cheering 4 them. But when i heard bout the buldogs winning all the time and losing once or twice, i switched 2 being a mad bulldogs supporter. I'll never support another team!!!! GO THE BULLDOGS!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Prodigal Son said:
I made a decision to support Canterbury back in October/November 1974 because they were my local team (I lived - and still do - in Canterbury municipality). Note that there was no such thing as Bulldogs back then - it was 1977 when the nickname was changed from Berries to Bulldogs!
Likewise, only in 1966. I was born in a private hospital opposite Belmore Oval (as it was called then) and grew up in Belmore. My father and friends were Berries supporters but I went to the dark side and supported Carlton. It was only when I was dragged to a game in 1966 and saw Les Johns perform his magic that I became instantly converted.

I used to go to all their games, home and away; until studies, work and family absorbed more and more of my weekends. I still listen to every game on the radio and watch the TV coverage. Manage to get to about 2 or 3 home games each year.

Last year was the worst and best year I've had following the 'Dogs.

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got no idea , i just love the doggies!!!!!!!
Doggies for lyf

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
My Dad is a scouser through and through (lived here for a very long time and isn't even a citizen) and he is a Dogs supporter.

As a kid I had Bulldogs, Tigers and Wests flags. I really liked all teams but never felt any kind of lasting affinity with anyone but the Bulldogs. So here I am.

Probably helped that I spent most of my childhood living in Roselands too. I even worked at Punchbowl Maccas for a couple of years, one of the only white boys there.

N

Natboy

Dad played for wests, pop & his dad played for souths but I loved dogs and the colour blue when I was 2 so....

L

leeds_doggy

I support for the doggies is all down to David Gillespie. Back in 1988 Gillespie came to play for my club in the UK, hunslet.

I was only a kid growing up then, but from his first game against Castleford up against test props Kevin ward and Keith England he destroyed them, especially one shot on ward putting him on his backside.

From then on, whilst waiting for autographs, like you did in those days, I got friendly with David and he even gave me some Canterbury memorebilia including an old classic home shirt. From that day I was hocked on the dogs and on Gillespie. Watching out for the score every week in the rl papers over here in the UK.

Was gutted when he left for wests, but I stuck with dogs and love watching them every week live over here in the UK.

Once my kids grow up, im coming over to aus to watch the live live at a game. Can't wait!!

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I was a little boy (don't know how old) dad and I walked to Belmore Oval to watch the football. This was when tries were worth 3 points and all goals were worth 2 points.

There was a side in red and green playing a side in blue and white. The red and greens were leading 9-0 at half time but the blue and whites won 10-9. When that happened I thought "What a great team".

I found out that the "blue and whites" were the local side Canterbury-Bankstown and it was natural to support them.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
It was my birth right. Both my parents were born and raised in the Bankstown area. As a kid, I used to ride the cardboard pie boxes down the back of the Hill. I hunted autographs, snuck into the dressing rooms every now and then. I was a Belmore Sports Oval kid.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It was my birth right. Both my parents were born and raised in the Bankstown area. As a kid, I used to ride the cardboard pie boxes down the back of the Hill. I hunted autographs, snuck into the dressing rooms every now and then. I was a Belmore Sports Oval kid.

Man I loved Belmore Oval as a kid. I don't remember really paying attention to any games but loved running all over the hill, climbing on stuff and sliding on cardboard boxes. Those were the days for sure.

Was the oval next door to Belmore originally used as a car park? I have memories of it being an absolute mud pit, but I am not sure if I made it up or something.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way they always had this win at all costs mentality. The tougher the game got, the harder we fought. Games like yday, we would have fought hard and won and built a premiership run. This side we have is not a typical dogs of war side. And that probably comes from the lack of local juniors. When u buy so many players it's hard to get them to buy into what the club is about.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Born in Banky and my step father threatened to bash me when I was nine if I didn't drop the Dragons and follow the Doggies.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Born in Canterbury Hospital, Grew up in the Canterbury Area, Went to Canterbury Boys..i should just change my name to Canterbury

Status
Not open for further replies.