What is our ideal bench combination?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lock and second row and possibly prop and centre but not very well (I think he's a good bench lock/depth player but nothing else). There will be other players on the bench that can over 3/4 of those positions already. If we're going with that I think you'd find Waddell doing that role.

Reactions: ATT

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think everyone agrees that we need two props and a second rower on the bench. The other spot needs to be filled by a person who can tackle, can fill in, in the halves, hooker, or back row. Do we have a better candidate than Lachlan Lewis? I know people will guffaw and carry on like good sorts at that suggestion but have a think of the alternatives.
Topine

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lock and second row and possibly prop and centre but not very well (I think he's a good bench lock/depth player but nothing else). There will be other players on the bench that can over 3/4 of those positions already. If we're going with that I think you'd find Waddell doing that role.
The bench spot must be a player who can cover a multitude of positions. Lewis does that. Waddell is a forward first and foremost.
He cannot be used anywhere else. Saying that, Waddell is a serious player.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bench depends on the starting 13, but with only 8 interchanges and plenty of versatility in our pack, we only need 2 middle forwards and one edge forward. We need to be able to cover an injury in the halves, which Averillo can do if he starts at fullback, but not if he's starting 5/8. Ideally, we also want cover for the outside backs and dummy half.

Unfortunately we just don't have the ideal players to cover everything. I'd love it if Wakeham can become a decent first grader, play a bit of hooker, and cover the utility sub role. With fingers crossed for that, my bench would be:

Wakeham
Atoni
Napa
Waddell

My starting team would include Hetherington, Thompson, Elliott, RFM and Jackson in the forwards, and Averillo at 5/8. Averillo can cover an injury to an outside back. I wouldn't consider Katoa for a spot in the 17 unless we have lots of injuries.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The bench spot must be a player who can cover a multitude of positions. Lewis does that. Waddell is a forward first and foremost.
Good points. But as someone pointed out to me what about stimpson. Can cover 5/8 and back row lock. Smith can cover center back row or lock possibly hooker. We are well served for utility value. Could also at a pinch consider Katoa as hooker or lock

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah, personally I don't think we have anyone good enough to have an actual utility, if we signed a good hooker, then possibly JMK. I'd be going with 4 forwards (Waddell, Atoni, Napa and Stimson at full strength) if it was me (I know Katoa can play in the lock rotation role but he isn't good enough for me). If I was forced to have a utility I would probably say Wakeham instead of Lewis as he's apparently being developed into a hooker at least as a secondary role, I also don't see a future in Lewis (I really wanted him to make it work a year ago but it wasn't meant to be).

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If thats Chris Smith you may very well be right. He has good defence and is a good quality player. However he lacks the essential speed
to succeed in the centres. He would be a stop gap in the centres.

Reactions: ATT

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Topine is a promising player. But I dont think he is NRL ready yet.
I would not pick him while ever there are NRL players ready to go.
Agree to an extent, given no NSW cup last season. Also given that we have alot of players off contract next season, playing too many quality youngsters (if they play really well) will allow managers to try play us for more cash.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live not far from belmore oval,I’ve popped in on a couple of training sessions on my days of,I’ve noticed quite a fair bit of Lachlan Lewis &katoa in a few of the drills,I’m thinking maybe trent may use these 2 more than maybe we think,or I’m making to much of this,interested to hear a few opinions.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live not far from belmore oval,I’ve popped in on a couple of training sessions on my days of,I’ve noticed quite a fair bit of Lachlan Lewis &katoa in a few of the drills,I’m thinking maybe trent may use these 2 more than maybe we think,or I’m making to much of this,interested to hear a few opinions.
Hopefully it's just an assessment phase prior to them sitting outside the 17 weekly...then being released once contracts are done..

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Maybe he's just trying to prepare everyone in the squad and form combinations even if they're not in the 17. Or they could be in his plans?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
katoa will be better for us then jmk, Lewis will be painful although Atleast he wouldn’t be the halfback anymore.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Have you watched their previous preseasons? Notice any difference?