What is our ideal bench combination?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have felt for a long time that the best composition for a bench is 2 x props a back rower who can fill in at centre and a utility who can play at least two positions in the spine. The dill brain who coached nsw this year got the bench and the centres totally wrong. Sort of proved why he hasn't coached an nrl side since 2005.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I have felt for a long time that the best composition for a bench is 2 x props a back rower who can fill in at centre and a utility who can play at least two positions in the spine. The drill brain who coached nsw this year got the bench and the centres totally wrong. Sort of proved why he hasn't coached an nrl side since 2005.
I think every team needs to have 2 props (unless you have Haas, and even then), a lock (unless you have Jake Trbojevic, and even then) and then you can pick between a second rower, utility or outside back as your last bench position. You also need to decide are you having someone on the bench to cover injuries (potentially get 0 minutes) or for impact which is dependant on the team (e.g. no point most games having JMK on the bench if you have a 80 minute hooker) and players (quality) available to select. You're not always going to have a player that can overlap on these 2 things.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have felt for a long time that the best composition for a bench is 2 x props a back rower who can fill in at centre and a utility who can play at least two positions in the spine. The drill brain who coached nsw this year got the bench and the centres totally wrong. Sort of proved why he hasn't coached an nrl side since 2005.
Since the HIA has come in.
Going into a game without a utility that can cover the playmaker roles and multiple backline positions on the bench. Is game day suicide.

2 x Props
I x Versitile Backrower
1 x Utility

I would like to see the interchange overhauled.
I would like to see 3 players added that are outside the top 30 to the bench. To be used for HIA only.

So you have 20 players.
The 17 as it is now plus 3 development players:
A Forward
A Back
A Utility

This gives coaches to opportunity to blood young players and give them some experience. Without throwing them in to sink or swim.

It also allows players that get head injuries to be replaced by a player that plays that position.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it will be averillo in 14. At least to start the year. He's a good option because he can cover the whole backline and should dangerous floating through the middle when forwards get tired. Otherwise.... kotoa. He was actually pretty good off the bench towards the end of last year. With kotoa you'd need a big body who can play at centre if a reshuffle out wide is needed. Stimson is probably the right choice there..

So ..

14. Averillo
15. Hetherington
16. Atoni/Ogden/Napa
17. Stimson/Waddell

Or

14. Katoa
15. Stimson
16. Atoni/Ogden/Napa
17. Hetherington

I have JMK as the starting 9. If/when we sign a starting 9 then JMK becomes a perfect 14.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Going into a game without a utility that can cover the playmaker roles and multiple backline positions on the bench. Is game day suicide.

2 x Props
I x Versitile Backrower
1 x Utility

I would like to see 3 players added that are outside the top 30 to the bench. To be used for HIA only.

So you have 20 players.
A Forward
A Back
A Utility

This gives coaches to opportunity to blood young players and give them some experience. Without throwing them in to sink or swim.

It also allows players that get head injuries to be replaced by a player that plays that position.
Id love a 6 man bench but u can only use 4. U could use the 4 cop a foul play HIA and use one of the other 2. Keep everyone guessing haha

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kenny Bromwich, Stimson was 50/50 with him for the position. K. Bromwich was very impressive (and been one of the most improved/underrated players over the last 2 years) when he got his opportunity.
The Storm probably have the two most underrated edge forwards in the comp.. Kaufusi severly.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score

2 x Props
I x Versitile Backrower
1 x Utility

So you have 20 players.
A Forward
A Back
A Utility

great idea

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
14 JMK
15 Ogden
16 Atoni
17 Stimson

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with JMK on the bench he has shown that he can't handle the 80 m work load, but I can see him been lethal towards the end of the game therefore IMHO should come on in the last 20-30 minutes. As for starting Hooker Katoa appears to be the only option, although as silly as it sounds I would try JJ as starting 9 for the first 50-60 minutes, for the life of me I can't see him offering any less that Katoa at 9 who has to be in the starting team, and unless he is rejuvenated JJ can't play in the in the edge anymore, and at 9 he is in the middle.
Sorry, but this is just nonsense! JJ at hooker, are you completely crazy? Theres no way he plays hooker. None whatsoever. And just for the record, the hooker is wherever the ball is, not the middle, except in defense.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
A utility, 2 props and a backrower. Something like:

14 JMK
15 Napa
16 Renouf
17 Waddell

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but this is just nonsense! JJ at hooker, are you completely crazy? Theres no way he plays hooker. None whatsoever. And just for the record, the hooker is wherever the ball is, not the middle, except in defense.
The forwards follow the ball just like the DH does that's why forwards make many more tackles than backs, JJ has to be in the team, even if he dose not return to his form of a few years ago, and with the number of back rowers at the club, there are plenty of other good options.
I agree with you that TB wont even consider playing JJ at 9, but I don't think he would do any worse than Katoa at 9, and he has to be in the team where as Katoa does not, BTW it was just a thought.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The forwards follow the ball just like the DH does that's why forwards make many more tackles than backs, JJ has to be in the team, even if he dose not return to his form of a few years ago, and with the number of back rowers at the club, there are plenty of other good options.
I agree with you that TB wont even consider playing JJ at 9, but I don't think he would do any worse than Katoa at 9, and he has to be in the team where as Katoa does not, BTW it was just a thought.
I cant see JJ playing anywhere other then lock or back row. He will be in the starting side, 100%.

Bulldogs fan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So this is what I think

14. Jmk
15.doorey
16. Ogden/renouf
17.Napa
And the starting back towers would be rfm jj so if Adam Elliot got injured Jackson would move there and doorey would go into that role. We need to fix our back rower problem Stimson,RFM, doorey, jj, topine,Waddell

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
it depends on the make up of the team and what minutes each player plays. there is no set bench so to speak.
Middles can consist these days of various combinations, not just 2 props.
it is advantageous to have a forward who can cover a backline position.

Reactions: GDR

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kaufusi has been playing origin for years, he’s not under rated
Exactly my point.. When was the last time somebody said they would love Kaufusi in their team or even praised the guy after a game. Considering he is one of the first picked in any team you would think his name would be belted out as much as Kikau's.