What has to change to turn this club around?

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Barrett era is the worst we have witnessed as fans. The fade outs in games, the lack of belief. Poor D & attack.
But hang on… as the great coach will say again next week. We need to learn!!!! Fuck me dead…. Us random supporters can see we are getting no where with Baz… let’s hope gus can also

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK isn’t a hookers arse. He’s putrid and not even first grade material.

Jackson has been a war horse for us but he has finished. His fitness is gone and whilst a good bloke he’s needs a team first mentality.

Cant blame tonight on Waddles but out edge is not potent.

It’s clear now barrett isn’t the answer. Our new team that should be more competitive and defensively sound are as bad as last year.
There is too many players not putting in 100%. If we had a team that gelled and got on we would probably have less floggings as they actually give a shit about reputation, club and each other

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was prepared to give Barrett a chance, but he looks clueless. That’s the honest truth.

Anyone who isn’t mentioned here for mine for 2022 is expendable and excess

1. ?? Maybe Dufty, but then we need a gun half.
2. JAC
3. Alamoti (will be ready next year)
5. Naden
6. Burton
7. Flanagan (if we somehow jag a good fullback)
8. Thompson
9. Mahoney
11. Kikau
13. TPJ

14. BBO
15. Jackson (as a club captain and long servant I’d let his contract run down fairly)

We NEED a gun centre, another back rower, another prop AND most importantly, with money available, either a superstar fullback or half. Based on who, then you keep either Dufty or Flanagan.

We also need to blood some of these kids now. What about this backrower from QLD Cup? Stuckey? Any good? That young prop from Tigers ? Any good??

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet the same teams are dominating the comp.. so a bit short sighted for mine
Have to agree with your comment, also when the top teams lose a star player their replacement usually fills the void with their own star qualities and then you have our team a shit player leaves and is replaced by another clubs star player and our replacement turns to shit.
I know a lot of supporter's want Baz out but some of these players are on top $ and their not deserving of what their being paid, who was the last big name recruit who the Bulldogs signed to show why he was recruited, so far this season not one big name has had a motm performance especially Burton who has done fuck all for the money he's on.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I will say one thing... Whenever we sign a crop of players to suit a particular style, the rules of the game change.

The game is more defence orientated compared to last season and that hasn't helped us at all.

To extend upon this, we have no leader in defence that sets the tone and line speed. Most of our forwards can't wrestle and arm grab. I cannot recall the last time one of our forwards hit someone so hard they got up slowly.
Our leader is a winger… he’s the only one talking with any great passion. JAC, take a bow - you have been a shining light in a mediocre start to the year.

We need better leaders in general who hold players accountable on the pitch and You’ll find Reed Mahoney will make a significant difference coming in next year making good decisions, providing better service and finding our halves rather than forwards.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm honestly not too concerned, but rather frustrated.

We have gun duumy half and genuine edge back rower coming. Both world class.

My concern for next year is who will be our 1, 3, 4 & 13. If we can cover these we will be contenders.

Now why a 1? As good as Dufty can attack, we need a 1 who can defend. He can't. A good fullback would have saved at least 2 of those tries today
I'm not worried either ..... we have about half a team at this point. Way too many holes to be anything more than decent.

The two you mention will make a massive difference, especially a gun dummy half.

Gus saw we were weak in these positions before a ball was kicked, and i am certain he will address the centres and fullback positions. Wouldn't mind another prop as well. I think we can cover halfback internally with Flanno improving and a couple of real good kids coming through.

I view this as the first season of our rebuild. The seasons prior were about getting through our cap mess as best we could.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club has no excuses as this is season 5 post Des. Where are the juniors. Where is our attack. Where is our pride in our colors. Gus truly has to continue to gut this place hard including the coach. He thinks he has the panthers roster and cant adapt to players with no talent or ticker. I will give Pay his dues...he had a fucking bog average roster but they played better than this lot.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This
Our roster isn’t as bad as our results
No everything is based on results, so roster isn’t much better. Still players to find and need to get rid of deadwood.

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
All the successful teams have at least a handful of their own first-grade quality juniors in their top side. Panthers, Roosters, Storm, Manly are littered with juniors who have debuted there. We had JJ, JMK, Wakeham, Patolo and Averillo in our side tonight who debuted with us. That’s it. The rest of our squad are imports, many of whom we paid overs for to get them here. Until we get our junior pathways sorted, we will keep ‘cleaning out deadwood’, buying overpriced players and underachieving, year after year.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Our leader is a winger… he’s the only one talking with any great passion. JAC, take a bow - you have been a shining light in a mediocre start to the year.

We need better leaders in general who hold players accountable on the pitch and You’ll find Reed Mahoney will make a significant difference coming in next year making good decisions, providing better service and finding our halves rather than forwards.
JAC will soon be at the level of other players and basically not caring. Each week he’s saying less and he also looks injured. That’s the danger of what’s happening with this team, good players will get dragged down.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JAC will soon be at the level of other players and basically not caring. Each week he’s saying less and he also looks injured. That’s the danger of what’s happening with this team, good players will get dragged down.
Exactly. Well said. This is why we cannot afford to have Baz as our coach for even a single day more. Each day that goes past damages our team and our longer term success even more. Those that still want to give him a chance and make excuses for our performances need to wake up. I have been saying this for months - we will NOT succeed with him as coach! He’s a good bloke, gets along with the players, etc etc BUT he clearly cannot be a head coach for a first grade NRL team.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw the cheque book at Bellamy!
Gus should sit down with him and say "mate you've won multiple premierships, turned young kids and castaways into stars and have earned the respect of the everyone in the game today. But if you want to cement your legacy as the goat them come and take on the biggest coaching challenge in the nrl.