What has happened to the romantic city

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
France has always had its issues. It's usually sold as the most romantic city in the world, but they often leave out the fact that it has one of the highest crime rates.

The city averages around 75,000 people raped each year. Not quite as romantic as they tell you it is.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why are people reverting to uncivilised behaviour like a bunch of wild gorillas in protest of increasing taxes?
Bit over the top.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...MwB3oECAsQIQ&usg=AOvVaw2YSgXPG6dxBVagmsOWvHcg
I wish Australians gave more of a shit about things like this. It may not be civilised, but its more likely to get their government to take notice of the fact that the population are pissed off than sending an angry letter.

I personally wonder why so many Australian people can't stand Union activity these days. Australia isn't the lucky country anymore. We let our political parties give themselves juicy pay increases and massive retirement funds while more and more hard working Aussies fall below the poverty line.

the behavior of the French may be extreme, but it will force the politicians to take notice.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
France has always had its issues. It's usually sold as the most romantic city in the world, but they often leave out the fact that it has one of the highest crime rates.

The city averages around 75,000 people raped each year. Not quite as romantic as they tell you it is.
Paris is disgusting lol

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I wish Australians gave more of a shit about things like this. It may not be civilised, but its more likely to get their government to take notice of the fact that the population are pissed off than sending an angry letter.

I personally wonder why so many Australian people can't stand Union activity these days. Australia isn't the lucky country anymore. We let our political parties give themselves juicy pay increases and massive retirement funds while more and more hard working Aussies fall below the poverty line.

the behavior of the French may be extreme, but it will force the politicians to take notice.
Agreed mate. Problem is the people it affects the most cant afford to take time off for strike action or protest.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score

I seen on one of those documentaries where people travel over seas.

From one episode I learned Paris ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.

This couple said just crossing under a bridge you can end up in a dangerous part of town with thugs robbing you.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Australia needs unions and activism as much, if not more, than ever before. Workers rights are slowly going backwards under the guise of "flexibility", including the gig economy (Uber eats and the like), casual employment being the norm etc.

French, and in particular Parisians, have always been pretty hardcore in this area, rightly or wrongly. It's not a new thing, nor is the crime etc in the city. I was in Europe in 2003, and it was well established that you had to be careful, particularity with petty crime like pick-pocketing and general scams. Don't believe that shit about how its some recent phenomenon.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Australia needs unions and activism as much, if not more, than ever before. Workers rights are slowly going backwards under the guise of "flexibility", including the gig economy (Uber eats and the like), casual employment being the norm etc.

French, and in particular Parisians, have always been pretty hardcore in this area, rightly or wrongly. It's not a new thing, nor is the crime etc in the city. I was in Europe in 2003, and it was well established that you had to be careful, particularity with petty crime like pick-pocketing and general scams. Don't believe that shit about how its some recent phenomenon.
France has definitely changed in the last few years. It went from the gold standard of living then the PC activists forced the government to take in more people than it could sustain now those PC activists are rioting because their comfortable lifestyles have changed.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
France has definitely changed in the last few years. It went from the gold standard of living then the PC activists forced the government to take in more people than it could sustain now those PC activists are rioting because their comfortable lifestyles have changed.
You dont know much about the history of france then.

France took in a lot of people from their colonies (Tunisia Algeria etc) in the 60s and 70s and pretty much dumped them in enclaves and neglected them. Those people in those enclaves have been targeted minorities with very little opportunity.

That's the actual root cause of frances problems in its major cities

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Whether unions like it or not the gig economy is here to stay. I dont think this model of permanent work and contract work is working anymore and unions have to come to the table about a 3rd type of work, ie gig economy style.

I'm all in support of unions but in this effect o think they've failed massively, they refuse to embrace the change in the working force and hence what they want is in complete polar opposite to what business want.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You dont know much about the history of france then.

France took in a lot of people from their colonies (Tunisia Algeria etc) in the 60s and 70s and pretty much dumped them in enclaves and neglected them. Those people in those enclaves have been targeted minorities with very little opportunity.

That's the actual root cause of frances problems in its major cities
It's not the reason for the tax increases

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Whether unions like it or not the gig economy is here to stay. I dont think this model of permanent work and contract work is working anymore and unions have to come to the table about a 3rd type of work, ie gig economy style.

I'm all in support of unions but in this effect o think they've failed massively, they refuse to embrace the change in the working force and hence what they want is in complete polar opposite to what business want.
I understand that the gig economy is here to stay, but a side effect of it is worker exploitation, and chronic underemployment.

But that was also just one example of the slow reduction of workers rights - there are plenty of other reasons why unionism and protection of the worker is so important.

Sorry, getting off the original topic a bit...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I seen on one of those documentaries where people travel over seas.

From one episode I learned Paris ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.

This couple said just crossing under a bridge you can end up in a dangerous part of town with thugs robbing you.
Had a few friends that lived there. They told me many stories about how easy it was to walk down the wrong street and get in trouble. The gangs stay away from the tourist areas but if you turn down the wrong street and walk away from the tourist stuff then you're likely to get robbed or worse.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah Paris isn't as it seems. Mum and Dad have been there (France) a few times. Dirty and smelly with the locals rude, and ill mannered, and lots of crime .. and those were the nice things they said.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I understand that the gig economy is here to stay, but a side effect of it is worker exploitation, and chronic underemployment.

But that was also just one example of the slow reduction of workers rights - there are plenty of other reasons why unionism and protection of the worker is so important.

Sorry, getting off the original topic a bit...
Lol topic always stray in the kennel

As long as pay rates and workers comp etc are covered. I think it encourages worker performance. Ie if you're a good employee you get more work, if you're incompetent try another field because this was doesnt work

Speaking of that last point, I can understand the intentions of performance management and going the right way of giving someone a chance but some people are just fucking shocking, they are completely hopeless and for an employer to go through that pain staking process is frankly just a waste of resources

So essentially what I'm probably getting at is that our rights in this country at the moment favour the worker a lot more than they do the employer and the unions are just pushing for too much more. Of course I'm speaking generally over the whole work force not a particular industry

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So essentially what I'm probably getting at is that our rights in this country at the moment favour the worker a lot more than they do the employer and the unions are just pushing for too much more.
Going to have to disagree on that sentence. You only have to see the recent reduction of penalty rates as a good example. Luckily the country rejected the ridiculously named "workchoices" all those year ago. There are some shit unionist out there (and my family have ben very critical of their own during their working lives), and I don't necessarily agree with any violence and standover tactics, but as Alan said, sometime these extremes are required, otherwise workers would simply have to do what they are told.

I personally have no use for a union. I make good money due to a particular skill I have, and currently am so lucky to be able to work three days a week (at 3/5 salary of course) so I can spend 2 days a week home with my son (which is awesome). But I also grew up in a working class family, where, without penalty rates and work safety, we would have really struggled to makes end meet. Dad worked 6 days a week, but made sure he made my sporting events on a Saturday afternoon, nearly always still in his work kit and smelling of high heaven. It took many years to realise how much I admire him :grinning: Also, being a Liquidator, I see workers being screwed over pretty much every other day (and it sucks).

At least I agree with you on the Paris side of things - it's a place where there vut off the kings head over 200 years ago FFS.

Anyway, its 38 degrees here (with humidity) and I don't have an air-conditioner and its too fucking hot to be sitting in front of a computer. Good day to all.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Why would anyone go to France? Or even Europe?

It's full of Arabs now, they turned it into the Mid East part 2.

I'm sure the bit of truth will trigger some lefty poof.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

still less fuckwits than in America lol

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

They have a thing called Paris Syndrome, tourists go there thinking its going to be something from an old romantic tale and are shocked to discover its a shithole.