What does preseason fitness training entail?

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well according to Stimpson last pre season was no where near as rigorous as the Storm!!

We need to get back to the kind of thrashing Folksie dealt out - the boys still talk about how fit they were and we never faded at the back end games.
He said that? I thought he said it was 'different'... in that we do more long distance running where as Melbourne do burst/sprint/speed fitness...

I personally don't think we're 'unfit' we just lacked punch... and if the long distance running part was true then it makes sense.. we're used to slogging it out like it's a marathon but it's a different type of training to sprint which is what you'd want for NRL considering the majority of the game is sprinting off the line...

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not sure either, but I have a feeling a lot of Intense effort, sweat and pain as well as sleeping well are in their immediate future .

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is so many things that you can do to improve your speed, fitness and power. Definately sprint training with heaps of rest in between sets is a must for overall speed and power. Compound weight lifts for general power would be great. For general fitness I would probably do some form of HIIT and use the beep test as measure of fitness and improve on their last result.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s quite technical. As you don’t want to thrash the players so they don’t get burned out by round 16
It all depends on balance and that's not necessarily just physical work load but also mentally.

For to long our players are making stupid mistake under mental fatigue.

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Like I said in another thread Barrett has apparently set some weight loss goals for some players to reach before they come into preseason training come soon.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I would be starting with a army boot camp designed for about a 5 day challenge. Get either current or ex_PT staff from the Army to run it. These things have a massive amount of teamwork and working together under stress and high fatigue. It culminates with an end of ex skills test combining everything learnt and putting it all together as a unit. The true thing gained out of this style of thing is the brotherhood and tightness formed through common pain and misery. Canungra or Tully while raining is my tip as the hardship is a very important aspect of it. Very good for spirit de corp. The bonding is second to none and the lessons learnt about going 10 levels beyond what you thought you were mentally capable of sets you up. Admittedly this is a shortended version but I guess you get the idea.

After that's completed you let the boys have a few days off and come back with a more targeted fitness build up based around whatever the latest and greatest ideas are. Tbaz should know as the Panthers seemed pretty fit this year.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is a new league training academy in bankstown run by someone who was in the NRL hierachy, Jason Amos and he is killing the kids with his training, my nephew started the program and he came back from one session almost vomiting.I told him to put the hard yards in now and overall you will come out a better player.
Id expect no less than doggie players who are on some good coin, train them hard, make then sweat, make them vomit.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after hearing that Trent Barrett wants to get the players fit it got me wondering what’s involved?
Does anyone know how rigorous pre season fitness training is?

I’ve heard of army camps and running up and down the sand dunes at Kurnell (beach in southern sydney for those who don’t know) but that’s about it.

I wonder if it’s a combination of sprints, long distance running and log carries etc.

I’ve watched a documentary on what the US navy seal hopefuls go through and that is full on, especially ‘hell week’ where they dont get hardly any sleep all week but just physical torture.

Any ideas ?
I'll say under the Des and Pay era pre season training was who could eat the most kebabs and Mac value meals in a 6 hour eating competition followed by 12 hour pub crawls in the Canterbury district. Rinse and repeat every day for 8 weeks.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the bulldogs never believed in army camps under Hasler and pay but Penrith do them and I believe manly did them when Barrett was there. Preseason is pretty full on though little to no footballs involved usually starts with a 2km time trial at most clubs also know the dogs use the hill at belmore for sprints too

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Storm not doing boot camp this time due to shorter pre season.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a new league training academy in bankstown run by someone who was in the NRL hierachy, Jason Amos and he is killing the kids with his training, my nephew started the program and he came back from one session almost vomiting.I told him to put the hard yards in now and overall you will come out a better player.
Id expect no less than doggie players who are on some good coin, train them hard, make then sweat, make them vomit.
I was reading Jason Amos was involved with Melbourne for a few years and only heard positive stories about him

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now we wait to hear about Burton..... Praying he comes for 2021!
Well according to Stimpson last pre season was no where near as rigorous as the Storm!!

We need to get back to the kind of thrashing Folksie dealt out - the boys still talk about how fit they were and we never faded at the back end games.
Nailed it mate. And if the game was close with 20m to go we won nearly every time. There were some amazing come backs by us and if we were in front with 20m to go we would win that game.

Our fitness level won us many games those years.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'll say under the Des and Pay era pre season training was who could eat the most kebabs and Mac value meals in a 6 hour eating competition followed by 12 hour pub crawls in the Canterbury district. Rinse and repeat every day for 8 weeks.
Steve Folkes looked like he could still play when he coached, TB is in the same mould... if that’s anything to go by, the players will be in good shape come 2021 round 1 (I’m sure they wouldn’t want the coach to out gun them at training, straight up embarrassing).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Steve Folkes looked like he could still play when he coached, TB is in the same mould... if that’s anything to go by, the players will be in good shape come 2021 round 1 (I’m sure they wouldn’t want the coach to out gun them at training, straight up embarrassing).
Pretty sure Baz trained alongside the players during preseason with the Panthers last season, will probably do the same with us.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anything is better than whatever pay got them to do.
I live next door to a trainer at the Sharks and he said when J Moz arrived there a couple of years ago he smashed all his PB's in pre season tests in his first season there. He then asked J Moz what they were doing at the Dogs because he so surprised at his results and he said the training that we were doing was really out dated. There was lots of long distance running which is what most teams did for years.

Hopefully we see similar results with all our players now with a change in staff.