What does preseason fitness training entail?

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So after hearing that Trent Barrett wants to get the players fit it got me wondering what’s involved?
Does anyone know how rigorous pre season fitness training is?

I’ve heard of army camps and running up and down the sand dunes at Kurnell (beach in southern sydney for those who don’t know) but that’s about it.

I wonder if it’s a combination of sprints, long distance running and log carries etc.

I’ve watched a documentary on what the US navy seal hopefuls go through and that is full on, especially ‘hell week’ where they dont get hardly any sleep all week but just physical torture.

Any ideas ?

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
elaborate?
I have no idea of the exact dynamics.
But I do know that over training causes player burnout.
Bennett put the knights through some army fitness camp thing, and he said himself he regretted it as the players were flat all season from the burnout. Same with the dragons, they were starting the seasons on fire couple years ago then totally dropping off by around 18 rounds in.
Hence why I said it’s quite technical to get the exact aspect of it 100% right.
That is also why tbaz mentioned in his interview today, that the most important people are the strength and conditioning team.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have no idea of the exact dynamics.
But I do know that over training causes player burnout.
Bennett put the knights through some army fitness camp thing, and he said himself he regretted it as the players were flat all season from the burnout. Same with the dragons, they were starting the seasons on fire couple years ago then totally dropping off by around 18 rounds in.
Hence why I said it’s quite technical to get the exact aspect of it 100% right.
That is also why tbaz mentioned in his interview today, that the most important people are the strength and conditioning team.
Robinson stuffed up at the Chooks by flogging them in the pre season and then doing it again in the Covid break, they were worn out by round 15, mentally and physically.

Keeping it simple, each player has their own inbuilt strengths and weaknesses, what is required for one player and his position/s can be quite different to another player, even in the same position. An individual‘s age and injury history are also very relevant. The strength and conditioning team have to identify what each player needs and then devise a plan for achieving that. That includes diet and preventative conditioning.

Go Dogs

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Player burnout is more mental than physical.
I'd say there's no issue flogging the players to get them in tip top shape but mentally they need to stay motivated.
I'd say, although I'm no expert, it would be a mixture of endurance long distance running to build their stamina to last the whole game, strength/weights training coupled with short sprint work to work on their size/power and agility.

Someone like To'omaga, I'd get him lean with a good diet but not too lean and at the same time work on maintaining his power with deadlifts and squats and bench presses, then I'd work on his endurance. I'd try to get him to be a lean, ripped and powerful beast where his natural ability that we know he has(his offload and step) goes to another level.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well according to Stimpson last pre season was no where near as rigorous as the Storm!!

We need to get back to the kind of thrashing Folksie dealt out - the boys still talk about how fit they were and we never faded at the back end games.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Well according to Stimpson last pre season was no where near as rigorous as the Storm!!

We need to get back to the kind of thrashing Folksie dealt out - the boys still talk about how fit they were and we never faded at the back end games.
That's embarrassing

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score

When did he say that?
Storm are known for there fitness aren't they.
Yeh, Steve Folkes was really fit for his age and I remember how he made them super fit. Good team we had under Folksie

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When did he say that?
Storm are known for there fitness aren't they.
Yeh, Steve Folkes was really fit for his age and I remember how he made them super fit. Good team we had under Folksie
When I spoke to him at the AGM - he tried to put a positive spin on it.

My question was pretty direct - how has pre-season compared to the storm and he was happy to discuss.

It was early February so it may have ramped up but you would have expected by that time the hard yards would have been done.