What changed?

Malla

Reaction score
Avo was allowed to kick more regularly while we were attacking. This was huge in allowing us to build & maintain pressure, particularly in the first half. He just appears able to get the bombs closer to the goal line than Flanno, leading to better field position at the start of defensive sets & the greater possibility of actually scoring points from a kick as happened for Cotric.
As others have said Thompson & Napa had great games, but why has it taken to this point in his time here for Napa to actually have a dig, particularly when his start to the season was so underwhelming?!? Thommo was awesome, love me some pommy pigs!!
One of the biggest frustrations for me all season has been our lack of defensive line speed, we just don't seem to get up & meet the ball runners, and yet we are constantly pinged with 6 agains for not being back the 10....How is this happening?!?! Last night we were a little better for periods than prior games, however it is a massive concern for me..
Averillo wanted to kick***

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I think a bit had to do with the fact that Sharks thought this was a walk up and that they'd just get the easy win. Also, Johnson looked like he was trying too hard and often took the wrong option. This could've easily gone to GP when we shouldn't have given them that chance.

Having said that, it was pleasing to see everyone working for eachother and I'm proud of the gutsy win. It was great to wake up this morning with a smile and a sense of relief... for now lol

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of our players put in better effort but imo it was more a case of sharks played poorly. Especially early in the game. May be due to changes to their coaching staff or half combo. Their forwards did not match ours, they made lots of mistakes and their on line def was bad.

Still credit to the dogs for being able to take advantage of it.

After that talakai hit, the game changed. Sharks tried harder. Dogs worried more about protecting lead and not making mistake.

Hoping we can build on that. Get some confidence out of it. I think this team can play some decent footy but not for 80 mins, e.g. a good 10 15 mins vs storm, last week after hetherington got sent off and first 30 mins last night.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran hard, quick play the balls, line speed in defence.
Nrl is a simple game, do these 3 things well and you win most games

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What changed? Our front rowers got stuck in from the first minute and gave us some go forward. Thommo and Napa were our best players. Everyone else played off the back of that.

Waddell and Atoni both got stuck in and had their best games to date. Katoa at hooker had his best game and gave us something from hooker. Cotric and Tui Katoa made heaps of metres coming out of our own end. Hoppa looked engaged and scored a good try. Meaney was great at the back. Averillo and Flanaghan both defended great on the edges. Sure there were some bad things as well but lets not dwell on those this time

Our first half was fantastic. That's the level we can be. But unfortunately half time came and we couldn't bring the same intensity into the second half. But what we did show in the second half was that true Bulldog grit that we are renowned for. Scrambling defence, turning up for each other, holding on for 4 consecutive sets on our line. It wasn't pretty but it's what we do best, and I'm happy these young guys have bought into that and showed some pride.

Losing 2 forwards in the first half meant we would run out of gas in the second half but we hung in and got a great victory. I was watching the game pacing around the loungeroom like it was the last 10 mins of a grand final:grinning: Loved the emotion shown by all at the end of the game.

TBaz IS DEFINITELY the right man for the job. He has the passion, the vision and the plan to get us back to the top and I am going to enjoy the ride:grinning:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Nothing like a win to get the passion going again but what changed to make all the difference ?

I can't pinpoint the crucial part of our game that gave us the edge.

At first I thought thank you Napa for actually having your first good game since the roosters and supporting Thompson but then it changed to wow meany and his visionary try to omg how brilliant are our offloads .

But then come 2nd half and were sinking back into that same dark place ... I don't know how we can be so different from one half to the next .

If anyone has the answer we should bottle it
Dont think we changed much half to half but sharks stepped up a level. Probably after the roasting they got from the coach for being behind the last placed team at halftime

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We need to back it up next week against the eels.
Another loss and we are back to square one
This has to be the turning point in our season.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a tale of two halves. One showed we can score with plenty of possession. The other showed we can defend with little possession.
This is what possibly made Barrett emotional in the end. He knows the squad lacks finesse. But it felt like everyone finally followed the plan and evolved when the game shifted momentum. Good result for coach and players.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our forwards ran out puff in the second half. In first half the rolled up the sleeves impressive. I watched the game again today. And Flannigan ran instead standing and passing. His d was good and was a improvement. We still need more from our forwards. We can’t shut down at half time against parra. We need more the first half effort for the whole game.
I still think there is more opportunity for our wingers to make more carry when the forwards tire use quick feet and power running. It should improve with and if DWZ returns next week. But overall a improvement. Well done to the team

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nothing like a win to get the passion going again but what changed to make all the difference ?

At first I thought thank you Napa for actually having your first good game since the roosters and supporting Thompson but then it changed to wow meany and his visionary try to omg how brilliant are our offloads .

But then come 2nd half and were sinking back into that same dark place ... I don't know how we can be so different from one half to the next .

I have seen parts of the he game but according to reports our props went forward, I have always said you must go forward before going sideways.
With 2 players short on the bench fatigue did affect our game in the second half.
Being an average team like us, loosing players before and during the game definitely has it's affect !

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score

We were caned with 10 six agains. Any team would struggle when their opponents are given 60 extra tackles.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Tommo is lifting our forward pack week on week. At the start of the year we where lucky to be in games for 10mins if we turned up at all. Last night we played footy for 40 mins and then defended our way to a win. If baz can get them playing for 70 or 80 mins we’ll be a hard side to beat .

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That was our best start to a game this year. We were able to get to a 18 point lead which was crucial because for the last 50 minutes of the game we were holding on. I think the defensive display and effort we showed was outstanding. Napa and Hopoate had their best games of the year, in Napa's case probably his best game in 3 years. It wasn't pretty but I think it's taken a bit of pressure off the players, coach and club, at least for a little while. There is still a lot of improvement in us, we're still sloppy executing in the final 3rd and we make simple yardage errors. In every press conference it's clear Barrett has a plan and knows where the problems are. I should also mention Thompson who's been in our top 3 players his last 3 games, massive impact. We're also riddled with injuries.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I say to tbaz keep the exact same team in these positions as a reward for next week against the eels. Hopefully smithy doorey and dietzy are right to play.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The mental block shifted. Then the belief and confidence kicked in. Was a tough win, beautiful to witness from beginning to end.. lovely .!!!

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tommo is lifting our forward pack week on week. At the start of the year we where lucky to be in games for 10mins if we turned up at all. Last night we played footy for 40 mins and then defended our way to a win. If baz can get them playing for 70 or 80 mins we’ll be a hard side to beat .
100%. Amazing the difference one good forward can make.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I also wonder whether the players wanted to avoid being the first Canterbury team to sustain 7 straight losses in the opening rounds of a season? Extra motivation.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avo was allowed to kick more regularly while we were attacking. This was huge in allowing us to build & maintain pressure, particularly in the first half. He just appears able to get the bombs closer to the goal line than Flanno, leading to better field position at the start of defensive sets & the greater possibility of actually scoring points from a kick as happened for Cotric.
As others have said Thompson & Napa had great games, but why has it taken to this point in his time here for Napa to actually have a dig, particularly when his start to the season was so underwhelming?!? Thommo was awesome, love me some pommy pigs!!
One of the biggest frustrations for me all season has been our lack of defensive line speed, we just don't seem to get up & meet the ball runners, and yet we are constantly pinged with 6 agains for not being back the 10....How is this happening?!?! Last night we were a little better for periods than prior games, however it is a massive concern for me..
I was a bit disappointed with Averillo but i think hes needed time and improving with each game maybe toughening up a bit too, he got absolutely smashed and got straight up like nothing happened hopefully can keep it up.