What changed?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nothing like a win to get the passion going again but what changed to make all the difference ?

I can't pinpoint the crucial part of our game that gave us the edge.

At first I thought thank you Napa for actually having your first good game since the roosters and supporting Thompson but then it changed to wow meany and his visionary try to omg how brilliant are our offloads .

But then come 2nd half and were sinking back into that same dark place ... I don't know how we can be so different from one half to the next .

If anyone has the answer we should bottle it

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Losing Doorey and Smith had a major flow on effect and we were running out of gas big time. Herculian efffort by Thommo and Napa to produce the output they did.
And Flanagan was another factor. The kid just doesn't have it at all. You either do or dont. The era of having Cronk clones are long gone. Need a half that can play in front of them and have better game management. He tries hard but that's about it.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avo was allowed to kick more regularly while we were attacking. This was huge in allowing us to build & maintain pressure, particularly in the first half. He just appears able to get the bombs closer to the goal line than Flanno, leading to better field position at the start of defensive sets & the greater possibility of actually scoring points from a kick as happened for Cotric.
As others have said Thompson & Napa had great games, but why has it taken to this point in his time here for Napa to actually have a dig, particularly when his start to the season was so underwhelming?!? Thommo was awesome, love me some pommy pigs!!
One of the biggest frustrations for me all season has been our lack of defensive line speed, we just don't seem to get up & meet the ball runners, and yet we are constantly pinged with 6 agains for not being back the 10....How is this happening?!?! Last night we were a little better for periods than prior games, however it is a massive concern for me..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think it was just a mentality, desperation thing. The first half every forward ran like their life depended on it. The whole team defended for each other and scrambled well and the backline and halves were all busy and showing urgency..

It's amazing what playing with pride, confidence and giving your all can do. I don't know why it took them six games to find it, but if they can match last night for the rest of the season effort wise, I'll be happy.

Subtle changes like Waddell at lock, Flanno and Averillo switching sides at times etc also seemed to work in the first half..

Last night was a great turning point, but they have to back up it week after week now as that second half the team shut up shop and lost their way mentally and Baz needs to get rid of that loser mentality in the squad and keep instilling belief and confidence..

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was just a mentality, desperation thing. The first half every forward ran like their life depended on it. The whole team defended for each other and scrambled well and the backline and halves were all busy and showing urgency..

It's amazing what playing with pride, confidence and giving your all can do. I don't know why it took them six games to find it, but if they can match last night for the rest of the season effort wise, I'll be happy.

Last night was a great turning point, but they have to back up it week after week now..
Yep well said!

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely the start we’ve been losing games in the first 5 minutes with weak defence and drop balls we gave ourselves a chance with a strong start and the boys looked like they couldn’t stomach another loss proud of them.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wind
Nothing like a win to get the passion going again but what changed to make all the difference ?

I can't pinpoint the crucial part of our game that gave us the edge.

At first I thought thank you Napa for actually having your first good game since the roosters and supporting Thompson but then it changed to wow meany and his visionary try to omg how brilliant are our offloads .

But then come 2nd half and were sinking back into that same dark place ... I don't know how we can be so different from one half to the next .

If anyone has the answer we should bottle it

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Remember we didn’t have hetherington Jacko okunbor dwz that gets like 7 line breaks and average 200 - 235 metres a game

Last edited:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon the turning point was Hetherington getting sent off last week. We then played less like robots and put some points on. This gave the boys some confidence heading into the week.

The second half yesterday was probably a combination of losing players and going into lead protection mode.

Grechy21

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon the turning point was Hetherington getting sent off last week. We then played less like robots and put some points on. This gave the boys some confidence heading into the week.

The second half yesterday was probably a combination of losing players and going into lead protection mode.
absolutely spot on

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Two poor plays from Dugan gifting us two tries made a big difference as well haha, he doesn't play and we don't win, dropped bomb and missed tackle on Hopoate.

Getting to an early lead instilled some belief in the side and the energy levels obtained from that early lead showed in our defensive effort.

This is the type of win we should have had against the Knights and Broncos, all in all it doesn't matter how but we won and it definitely felt like winning a finals game

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the first time this year our forwards layed a platform and surprise surpise we looked like a much better team. This is why the club is apparently focusing most of our funds for next year on props and a hooker. If we get Smith/Clark and TPJ/Haas/JFH, we'll be a genuine top 8 side next year

I don't know what the fuck happened to Napa in the first half but he FINALLY had a crack. I don't think he can sustain it long term so he'll probably be in good form for the next month until he signs with an English club

The biggest change was our desperation in defence. That's what was great to watch. T. Kotoa was awful in his decision making but our scamble was fantastic. If we defend like that for the rest of the season we'll be handing the Bronocs their second consecutive spoon.

The win last night was great but beating the slimy Eels this week would be 10x better

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly, the Hetherington send off was the big turning point, the lads really put in as a result and realised that they had nothing to lose, and with 12 against 13 they outscored the cows, if they played like that from the beginning we would have won that one two.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For the first time this year our forwards layed a platform and surprise surpise we looked like a much better team. This is why the club is apparently focusing most of our funds for next year on props and a hooker. If we get Smith/Clark and TPJ/Haas/JFH, we'll be a genuine top 8 side next year

I don't know what the fuck happened to Napa in the first half but he FINALLY had a crack. I don't think he can sustain it long term so he'll probably be in good form for the next month until he signs with an English club

The biggest change was our desperation in defence. That's what was great to watch. T. Kotoa was awful in his decision making but our scamble was fantastic. If we defend like that for the rest of the season we'll be handing the Bronocs their second consecutive spoon.

The win last night was great but beating the slimy Eels this week would be 10x better
Yup, amazing what your half’s and backs can do when the forwards are going forward

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yup, amazing what your half’s and backs can do when the forwards are going forward
Our forwards have done enough previously in some games for us to work with, we've just been totally inefficient with the ball and terrible in defence. If we aren't as desperate in defence as we were last night then the Sharks run in a couple of more tries and everyone is back to shitting on everyone.