What are we going to do if we miss out on B.Smith ? (reportedly close to signing with Titans)

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are reports today that Brandon Smith is very close to signing with the Titans (he has family living there) and I just noticed the other post here on TK that we're not interested in McInnes plus if anyone was to get him away from the Dragons then Maguire has a big advantage.

If we miss out on Brandon it's going to be a massive dent to our chances of a top 4 finish in the next few seasons IMO. If we can't even get McInnes as the next option then things are looking even worse.

What's the situation with Daryl Clark does anyone know ? How long is he in contract for ? Does Barrett even rate him ?

Is Barrett hoping that Api can get out of his contract early with the Panthers ? I can't imagine Cleary letting him go early.

IF we end up with a very average hooker like those we have now or not much better I think we may as well improve our strike in the backs as much as possible (try to get an advantage over other teams somewhere at least) and go for Staggs and spend the money we were going to use for Smith on a strike edge forward like Angus Crichton. We should be able to afford a decent metre eating prop too if we shed some of the off contract players at the end of this season like Napa.

ChimpNugget

Waterboy
Reaction score
Have a look at the Hookers coming off contract in 2022. Brailey brothers, Starling, Hodgson, Fainu, Cotter, Koroisau. Brandon Smith won’t be the last good dummy half to ever play the game. Not to mention there’s an entire competition going in England. Matt Parcell could be a good running 9 to come back to the NRL.

No need to panic. It’s been highlighted as a position that needs recruiting, and the precedent has been set for the quality we can expect.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can really only do one thing and that’s stay patient until the right hooker comes up. Even if you have to wait until 23 till that hooker come along. As others have said new hookers come along every year and I’d much rather bide our time then splash huge cash on someone like McInness and it looks like B Smith is off the table.

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
McInnes is solid but let's get real if Ben Hunt is taking your position then you are badly out of form.

I wouldn't want to be stuck with McInnes long term, he is a passion & effort player. We need a crafty dummy half who has the full skillset. Dragons could only get so far up the ladder with him, even when they were making finals he never really showed enough to be considered a top dummy half.

Fittler selecting him for origin does nothing for me as Fittler is a shit coach.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What is happening with Starling? He is a poor man's Damien Cook but could improve and wouldn't break the bank.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not sure Brandon Smith will be the same player,outside of Melbourne storm,he’s currently on 600k at the storm,and he’s chasing $750k a season,so financially no great loss,I’d rather the club throw money at younger talent,

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
To be fair jac was off to tigers. Mansour too. Media haven’t filled me with confidence at all.

Not saying b Smith is ours just until it’s done I think the media are just as out of the loop as us hah

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I don't rate Smith that highly, even if I seem to be in the minority. I'd rather roll the dice and see if a better option becomes available. Things can change very quickly, look at us getting Flannagan.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have a look at the Hookers coming off contract in 2022. Brailey brothers, Starling, Hodgson, Fainu, Cotter, Koroisau. Brandon Smith won’t be the last good dummy half to ever play the game. Not to mention there’s an entire competition going in England. Matt Parcell could be a good running 9 to come back to the NRL.

No need to panic. It’s been highlighted as a position that needs recruiting, and the precedent has been set for the quality we can expect.

If Cotter has a break out year then it will be interesting what the cows do with Robson who is on healthy money. Add that to a new coach looking to build his own team then their might be some shuffling.

Robson is a Illawarra boy just like Barrett too.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Blake Brailey and The Flange were best mates growing up weren't they?
Cotter looked good in a few games at hooker last year, can play lock too.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’ve watched a couple times not sure of his consistency. But Soni Luke. Was a solid hooker coming through the riff. Think he went to Manky feeder club Blacktown last time I heard

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are stuck with JMK and Katoa for this year and I can’t see anything changing that. I’m not really worried about 22 as Tbaz has shown he can build a roster and I’m confident he will sort it especially when he has 12 months up his sleeve.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It would be really really annoying though to have to wait that long. After putting up with Lichaa and now JMK it seems like it's been forever already. I don't see how we can really improve a hell of a lot until we get a good smart attacking dummy half. It's going to be a waste having players like JAC, Cotric, Burton and Flanagan if they can't get good ball.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Personally, I don't rate Smith that highly, even if I seem to be in the minority. I'd rather roll the dice and see if a better option becomes available. Things can change very quickly, look at us getting Flannagan.
Agree.
Despite what he says I’m not even sure he’s a 9.
More a backrower.
I won’t be upset if he goes elsewhere I reckon we bide our time and find the right fit.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It would be really really annoying though to have to wait that long. After putting up with Lichaa and now JMK it seems like it's been forever already. I don't see how we can really improve a hell of a lot until we get a good smart attacking dummy half. It's going to be a waste having players like JAC, Cotric, Burton and Flanagan if they can't get good ball.
Baz and Flange have both stated Flange will have his hands on the ball a lot. It may be the case that as long as Flange gets reasonable service there’s less pressure at dummy half to produce plays. Hopefully JMK has improved under Baz too. We just have to wait and see.