Wests Tigers to sign Benji Marshall to five-year coaching deal

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tigers set to sign Benji Marshall on five-year deal to succeed Tim Sheens as coach in shock move

The Wests Tigers are set to drop a massive bombshell in appointing Benji Marshall as an assistant coach on a five-year deal that will see him take over from Tim Sheens as head coach in 2025.

The Sydney Morning Heraldreported Marshall is set to ink a five-year contract that will see him work under Sheens before taking over the top job in two seasons time.

Sheens and Marshall were the driving force behind the joint venture’s first and only premiership in 2005 as player and coach and are set to reunite as coach and assistant in a bold move from Tigers powerbrokers.

Marshall has limited coaching experience having worked with the Tigers juniors in a skills capacity this season after retiring from the NRL in 2021.

Marshall played most of his 346-game NRL career at the Tigers, while Sheens, who is currently the director of football, coached the club to 128 wins from 249 games from 2003 to 2012.

The Herald revealed Marshall has agreed to a five-year deal and will work under Sheens for the next two seasons and learn his trade as an NRL head coach.

The Tigers will announce Sheens as their head coach for the next two seasons, before Marshall succeeds him in 2025.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/925abcb7c22bc8bd5746765778f2674f

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think it's the best option for the Tigers right now unless they were able to get Shane Flanagan.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good luck to the tigers lol didn’t they sack sheen the first time around?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's bizarre that they wouldn't have him as an assistant first to see how he goes before announcing this. But that's the Tigers for you.
They miss out on everyone they want then sign a bloke who might not even be a good coach. Just lol
Anyway it gives us competition for the spoon so we shouldn't complain

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolute madness. Why even offer him 5yrs? I doubt Benji is gonna be in hot demand after one of the shortest coaching apprenticeships ever

milkdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How many teams have sacked a coach and needed a new one since sheens got the sack? And how many of them teams that needed a new coach were knocking on sheens door to offer him the job? My guess none. It feels like the tigers could of done better.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
One of the more bizarre oddities of footy is the assumption in the corridors of power that a good player will always make a good coach, and a great player will make a great coach. The two roles have distinctly different skill sets: a player needs fitness, strength, speed. durability, hand-eye coordination, and bio-mechanical skills, whereas a coach needs......................................................................................... brains.

This is not a shot at Benji, who is one ex-player who actually appears to possess some.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Such a Fucking stupid choice.

Most assistant coaches want a gig so bad (bar maybe ciraldo) and most guys like Benji (freshly retired and no experience) would jump at a chance to be an assistant or any role to work their way up.

Then the tigers throw a 5 year deal to someone to take over in 2 years? I’m so glad we aren’t the fucking tigers.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Such a Fucking stupid choice.

Most assistant coaches want a gig so bad (bar maybe ciraldo) and most guys like Benji (freshly retired and no experience) would jump at a chance to be an assistant or any role to work their way up.

Then the tigers throw a 5 year deal to someone to take over in 2 years? I’m so glad we aren’t the fucking tigers.
The tigers are so fucked
Hired sheens
Sheens sacks the coach and appoints himself despite him being sacked from his previous 3 coaching gigs
Fedora chairman signs off on a 5 year deal for Benji. Insanity

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck me, the Tigers are a basket case of a club.