Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Lean Webcke leads pack
By Barry Dick
January 18, 2005
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11975745-23214,00.html

A REFRESHED and streamlined Shane Webcke hit the training track yesterday ready to lead a beefed-up Broncos forward pack into the NRL season.

Webcke, the world's No.1 prop forward, surprised teammates when he arrived for the full Broncos squad's first training session for 2005, lighter than he has been for years.

The 30-year-old, who has yet to declare his intentions for representative football this year, said he had shed 5kg since returning from Australia's triumphant Tri-Nations tour to Britain and France in December.

"I haven't deliberately set out to lose a stack of weight but I've been careful about the size of my meals," Webcke said yesterday.

"Last year I came back to training at 115kg and this year I've come back at 110kg … and I feel a lot better for it."

The Broncos' six Tri-Nations tour representatives – Webcke, Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Tonie Carroll, Shaun Berrigan and Brent Tate – started pre-season training yesterday after a six-week layoff.

Queensland State of Origin representatives Dane Carlaw and Corey Parker could be the first casualties of a forward talent squeeze at the Broncos this year.

The retirement of skipper Gorden Tallis and absence of Ben Czislowski (Bulldogs) have done nothing to ease the competition for places in the starting pack for 2005.

Kangaroos Webcke, Civoniceva and Carroll are all but guaranteed places in the run-on side and it is hard to see Brad Thorn, back from a four-year stint in rugby union, missing out on a back-row berth.

That leaves Carlaw, Parker, Sam Thaiday, Darren Mapp, Neville Costigan, Tom Learoyd-Lars and David Stagg to battle it out for one starting spot and three places on the interchange bench.

Carlaw, who has been a fixture in the Brisbane line-up since making his debut in 1999, will concede a head start to his rivals because he will miss the opening rounds of the NRL season following off-season shoulder surgery.

The Courier-Mail

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
wow a big 5kg..... they better stop picking him as the leading forward for Australia!!
deadset joke he is past his prime now

though 5kg's for a fat Faulker is a lot of weight!!!

MiteyDogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Habib said:
he had shed 5kg since returning from Australia's triumphant Tri-Nations tour to Britain and France in December.
He lost 5 kilos from his fat head..
His bodies probably still the same.

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
a lighter webke would just mean that he would hurt himself more when he gets belted in the game as he has less blubber to cusion his arse

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
To lose 5 kgs while still maintaining muscle mass is a hard thing to do. Good on him. Do it for the oldies....he he

A

atomic_crimson

but losing 5 kilos when you way so much...does it really make a difference!

i guess no more big macs for him then!

H

Howlett

Good on ya webcke

5kg is 5kg regardless what anyone says. Id like 2 see u all lose 5 kg

Roozy

princess
Reaction score
I think he really needed that, I remember at last years origin he looked so unfit and in pain.

M

MrCharisma

He did need it but like Jados said.... to lose 5kgs while maintaining muscle is tops. Good on you Webke

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Sonny said:
Good on ya webcke

5kg is 5kg regardless what anyone says. Id like 2 see u all lose 5 kg

thats sinch.... remember ages ago I said I use to weigh 127!!!
that was in 2000 than from the end of 2000 till the end of 2001 I ended up at 85kg!!

I put weigt on 3-5kg and drop and put it back on so im always around the 85kg or 90kg mark!!!

but losing that 5kg for Webke will do heaps for him I know cause I lost 30 kg's and just losing the 5 you can notice the difference

H

Howlett

Bulldogs84 said:
thats sinch.... remember ages ago I said I use to weigh 127!!!
that was in 2000 than from the end of 2000 till the end of 2001 I ended up at 85kg!!

I put weigt on 3-5kg and drop and put it back on so im always around the 85kg or 90kg mark!!!

but losing that 5kg for Webke will do heaps for him I know cause I lost 30 kg's and just losing the 5 you can notice the difference

Well u of all people know how hard it is 2 lose weight. U may not like him but respect his achievements, its a big deal esp for someone who is 30. There are better props out there in the NRL but none that are as tough or as professional as Webcke. I respect his game and his achievements. To everyone else that dont think its a big deal, u try losing the weight and see how well u all go

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
The thing is he has to maintain heaps of muscle and still lose weight. I have a soft spot for him but it is shrinking every year.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
5kg may not be alot, but it could of done a world of good to improve his fitness. You could lose 2-3kg yet imrpove your fitness level two or three folds.

Webcke has fallen behind, and is only catching up to premier props like O'meley and Asotasi.

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sonny said:
There are better props out there in the NRL but none that are as tough or as professional as Webcke.
I think Shrek might have something to say about that... Personally I like the guy and think he is a hard worker, losing 5kgs can only help his career.

K

K E

He should retire with whatever little dignity he has left.

This is becmoning a joke already!

Yes he WAS good, He WAS tough, He WAS solid.

"WAS" being the keyword.

RobDog55er

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i've gained 12kgs since i've started my new job 6 months ago....!

L

Lobo

Webcke isn't anywhere as good as he was.

Sure he is tough, but he is also fat, slow and useless now. You can mistaken him for a brickwall... Tough, but dead and easy to run around.

Sure forwards aren't your most mobile of footballers but they should be able to move with speed and shuffle in defense moreso than to order 3 dozen krispy kremes like Webcke.

Him losing the 5kgs was because he knew he was losing mobility and consistency. he knows his days are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.