Opinion We should hire whoever's doing the Manly salary cap

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to Brooks and Schuster, Manly have also signed Roosters centre Jaxson Paulo and Wests Tigers outside back Tommy Talau. Also re-signed Tolu Koula

DCE is on over a MIL a year and so is Tommy Turbo and Jake is close. They also have some other pretty decent players who would have to be on good coin like Haumole Olakau'atu

No decent players off contract in the next couple of years at least either.

How the f..k do they do it ?

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"We should hire whoever's doing the Manly salary cap"

Word is Gus went all-in on the guy, but somehow the Roosters got to him first.
Some kind of job-sharing arrangement. Time spent evenly between Roosters 'Stetson Manager' & 'NRL Cap Auditor'.
Nah, I couldn't see the problem with that arrangement either...I guess that qualifies me for some kind of official position at NRL HQ.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to Brooks and Schuster, Manly have also signed Roosters centre Jaxson Paulo and Wests Tigers outside back Tommy Talau. Also re-signed Tolu Koula

DCE is on over a MIL a year and so is Tommy Turbo and Jake is close. They also have some other pretty decent players who would have to be on good coin like Haumole Olakau'atu

No decent players off contract in the next couple of years at least either.

How the f..k do they do it ?
They will definitely need to let contracted players go. They are building a formidable 17. With not much to support it. Their depth will be tested in the next few years. If they go injury free they will be a very competitive team. Any injuries will see them struggle.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You dont have to be a genius to see something has got to give at Manly...

What are the chances DCE ends up at the dogs considering Gus knew Brooks was going to Manly?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
DCE s contract actually drops next year to around 800k same money as shuster be a real good time to go and put a million a year in front of him on a two year deal.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
DCE s contract actually drops next year to around 800k same money as shuster be a real good time to go and put a million a year in front of him on a two year deal.
Dunno mate. He’s 35 next year. Don’t get me wrong still a quality player obviously and miles in front of anything we have now but similar to Hunt, are short term but expensive band-aids going to help us longer term? I think of Cronk and the Chooks. Yes they had immediate success while he was there but since then they’ve fallen away and especially in the halves. The short term pain is just that - painful - but none of our expensive blow-ins have really worked out and to me development remains the key for the longer term.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t really know a lot about Manly’s lower grades but heard a few callers on talkin sport complaining about their recent signings because it blocks some very good young players they have that should have been on the cusp of 1st grade ..

They rattled off a few names, anyone know more about that .. and who those players might be ?

They also must have a DCE contingency plan, he’s 34, who do they have in waiting ?

It’s those lower grade areas we need to be looking ..

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t really know a lot about Manly’s lower grades but heard a few callers on talkin sport complaining about their recent signings because it blocks some very good young players they have that should have been on the cusp of 1st grade ..

They rattled off a few names, anyone know more about that .. and who those players might be ?

They also must have a DCE contingency plan, he’s 34, who do they have in waiting ?

It’s those lower grade areas we need to be looking ..
They have huge wraps on young Fainu (not the stabber) and plenty will be pissed if they lose him - apparently in talks with Tigers?

If anyone thinks Schuster at $800k is good business, they’re absolutely bonkers, this will cost them in the long run.

Dumb club.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They have huge wraps on young Fainu (not the stabber) and plenty will be pissed if they lose him - apparently in talks with Tigers?

If anyone thinks Schuster at $800k is good business, they’re absolutely bonkers, this will cost them in the long run.

Dumb club.
As good as Turbo has been 1mil plus for him will also cost them in the long run

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Dunno mate. He’s 35 next year. Don’t get me wrong still a quality player obviously and miles in front of anything we have now but similar to Hunt, are short term but expensive band-aids going to help us longer term? I think of Cronk and the Chooks. Yes they had immediate success while he was there but since then they’ve fallen away and especially in the halves. The short term pain is just that - painful - but none of our expensive blow-ins have really worked out and to me development remains the key for the longer term.
I 100% understand where you are coming from, but we don't have anyone at the club let alone our spine that has any sort of game management experience, and haven't had for a decade. We have some talent in our side no doubt, but we don't any real experienced leaders in our backs or forwards. The cows and the broncs suffered from exactly the same issues we have at the moment, both Ezra mam and Deardon where both struggling prior to Chad and Adam being signed, they are both killing it ATM and are much better prepared to take control of their respective sides when the time comes. I don't see the short term signing of a Hunt/DCE type player as a Band-aid, but more about setting our kids up for future success. That said, until we fix our forward pack nothing is changing.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As good as Turbo has been 1mil plus for him will also cost them in the long run
They picked the wrong person for head coach, Flanagan was their best opportunity of getting back to the top.

Now with him going to the Dragons I think we’re about to see that Seibold’s a flop ..

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They picked the wrong person for head coach, Flanagan was their best opportunity of getting back to the top.

Now with him going to the Dragons I think we’re about to see that Seibold’s a flop ..
It always amuses me that people have this un- shakable belief that Flange senior is some kind of Master coach, hes' a fucking drug cheat. Lets see how he goes at the drags without peptides.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sorry, why are we jealous of Manly?

Luke Brooks is average as and would cost 600k plus.

Schuster is talented but has never put it all together, is often injured and who knows how he'll go in the forwards. He's not worth 700k or whatever they gave him..

Talau isn't a FG player. Paulo is very average..

So again, why are we trying to copy what they did? They just cap fucked themselves for players that won't make them contenders and will now probably have to release good young players to make it work.