We need type of Player with integrity

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't give a fuck if a players past is a shocker or a blinder we need them to be winners right now.
Potters on the good moola, needs to be a sports psychologist and get these boys over the line.
Fuck the gutter tactic merchants, dont drag the NRL through the mud.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s a balancing act, if a player has a little attitude or mischief about them (all reasonable stuff of course), then at least make sure they are superstars and winning you football games. No point recruiting average footballers with shit attitudes that cause the club trouble.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s a decent point. Back in 2009 when we had a rebuild we recruited blokes with good character. Kimmorley, Staggs, Michael Hodgson, J Moz. The only doubtful one was Ennis but he turned out to be a good family man with good values.

Green burger made a point at the time that we needed to recruit good people as well as good players
Don't forget Hannant. Was a great player for us while he was here. He did a podcast with Andy Raymond about his time with us, said he loved it. Bulldogs had a great family culture and spoke about it was a period when we were trying to get back to the family club. At the time we couldn't get a front jersey sponsor so Greenberg actually paid camp quality to put their logo on our jersey. Said the club was invested in creating a good culture/image. They hosted lots of family functions, invited kids to be around the training etc, said they all become tight really quickly considering there were a lot of new faces.
I was a bit sour when he left us as I thought the move back to qld to be closer to family was a cop out but when he explained why he left it was actually sad to hear, he had a child with some very serious behavioural issues and needed to closer to his nd his wife's family to help manage.
You could see then we built the foundations for those successful years in early to mid 2010s

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget Hannant. Was a great player for us while he was here. He did a podcast with Andy Raymond about his time with us, said he loved it. Bulldogs had a great family culture and spoke about it was a period when we were trying to get back to the family club. At the time we couldn't get a front jersey sponsor so Greenberg actually paid camp quality to put their logo on our jersey. Said the club was invested in creating a good culture/image. They hosted lots of family functions, invited kids to be around the training etc, said they all become tight really quickly considering there were a lot of new faces.
I was a bit sour when he left us as I thought the move back to qld to be closer to family was a cop out but when he explained why he left it was actually sad to hear, he had a child with some very serious behavioural issues and needed to closer to his nd his wife's family to help manage.
You could see then we built the foundations for those successful years in early to mid 2010s
Yep I didn’t list him because he dogged us at the end of 2010.

But you are right, he was great in 2009

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is not saying every recruit needs to be a cleanskin. But at least more than half should be.

The majority of our off season recruits had significant off field baggage. Naden, Vaughan , TPJ and Dufty all had suspensions from the integrity unit.
You have probably explained it better than when I started this thread. I don’t expect players to be perfect but we need to find players that don’t come with minimal baggage before we hire them. No one can predict after that moment if they play up afterwards.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah… I’ve gone rogue. Let’s get all the badass’s and a coach to match. I’m sick of losing and the lack of fear other teams have for us these days..

Let Gus build the pathways and develop our juniors and future 1st graders. While we wait for them to come thru let’s go and bash the other 15teams into submission..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As I said they don’t all have to be choirboys. But we need some strong leaders with strong values to help the others maintain some sort of team values.

Back in 2004 we had the rat pack but we also had blokes like Price, Patten, Hazem, Grimaldi and Ryan to keep them in check.

Each group was as important as the other
Yeah I agree we need a better culture. Hopefully Gus and the next coach can help establish that.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is not saying every recruit needs to be a cleanskin. But at least more than half should be.

The majority of our off season recruits had significant off field baggage. Naden, Vaughan , TPJ and Dufty all had suspensions from the integrity unit.
Fair enough I see your point. Sorry I read the original post as we should not recruit anyone who is not a cleanskin

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have probably explained it better than when I started this thread. I don’t expect players to be perfect but we need to find players that don’t come with minimal baggage before we hire them. No one can predict after that moment if they play up afterwards.
I want smart players, followed by talented players, followed by good role models.

In that order

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
My boy Burto seems like a good kid. I like the quiet ones that don’t go looking for the spotlight but everyone knows they’re fkn gun.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My boy Burto seems like a good kid. I like the quiet ones that don’t go looking for the spotlight but everyone knows they’re fkn gun.
I see.....
You like the JMK types.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Lots of people in here think highly of Jackson and how he’s the heart and soul of the club. Does that translate into wins? We need a balanced team. Key positions should be our highest paid players, surround them with bits and pieces players (Storm model). One good player goes out, one comes up through junior development or buy cheap like Storm did with Smith/Meaney. It’s how you stay within the cap.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's alot harder for the dogs to avoid any media attention compared to every other team in comp as we have all seen happen.

Until the media leaves us alone or the club keeps it under wraps we are screwed, media loves to hate on us so we need to be careful.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just want guys that wanna win
And I want guys, that WANT to be here. And get excited to wear the BLUE and WHITE, and to love this club as much as we ALL DO. It means something.
this club was Est 1935, that is iconic in Itself. And to wear it should be a privilege, and with that privilege comes .. PASSION/PRIDE/HEART/RESPECT and DETERMINATION. It’s the DOGGS OF WAR. And we want hero’s in our jersey.!!!

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need players with talent. We need some established first graders and some good young kids coming through.