News 'We need to get to the bottom of it': Manager baffled as Bulldogs ice out skipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Ive been involved with players at sharks and manly, and they are paid as employees. They get paid per month at these clubs and payslips from the clubs themselves. They are not contractors.
If they play under the terms of an NRL contract then they are “contractors”. Players get paid in all sort of ways, depending on their contract terms. For some players the Club pays their agent and the agent deducts their commission and pays the player the balance. When and how they get paid is irrelevant.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All of this drama is a sideshow distraction for the fact that his form does not warrant first grade selection. I don’t think he will make the first grade team unless we get injuries in 24.

Every coach prior to Ciro he has been an auto selection and hasn’t delivered. Gould is probably being honest with him and telling him he won’t see first grade.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
PSA for the forum.
Just a little aside from topic.
Just a reminder that if you feel the need to take me, @Flanagun, @Polly Power for whatever reason, please bring your A game.
I am not suggesting we are right all the time with our observations, but we are extremely bright, humble, high IQ people and are right more than not. So just have your arguments backed and ducks in a line IF you want to debate.
Although I’d like to think we are all on the same page and there is no need to argue, but I know TK can be a little emotional and a bit stubborn at times.
1700123096893.gif

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
PSA for the forum.
Just a little aside from topic.
Just a reminder that if you feel the need to take me, @Flanagun, @Polly Power for whatever reason, please bring your A game.
I am not suggesting we are right all the time with our observations, but we are extremely bright, humble, high IQ people and are right more than not. So just have your arguments backed and ducks in a line IF you want to debate.
Although I’d like to think we are all on the same page and there is no need to argue, but I know TK can be a little emotional and a bit stubborn at times.
lol_ricky_gervais.gif

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If they play under the terms of an NRL contract then they are “contractors”. Players get paid in all sort of ways, depending on their contract terms. For some players the Club pays their agent and the agent deducts their commission and pays the player the balance. When and how they get paid is irrelevant.

Always a Bulldog
Sounds like an employee to me.

Contractors work for themselves and are free to take on anyone they choose as clients and numerous clients at one time.

Players are not.

They are employees.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Your wrong
They dont have ABN and are contractors

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DT just guessed the RLPA was involved. Nothing but a couple of unsourced comments from journos with agendas, and no evidence.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only been 'after him' because he came here on good money to lead and stunk up the field with terrible defence, a lack of vision and very little composure all season. He played like a flop. That's the truth. He'd want to be a hell of a lot better next year.
The poor guy was playing the role of a speed hump to enable the forwards to get into position to tackle the opposition!!!
It is obvious as!!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like an employee to me.

Contractors work for themselves and are free to take on anyone they choose as clients and numerous clients at one time.

Players are not.

They are employees.
Their contract is exclusive in regards to playing, they can’t play for more than one NRL Club at a time. Of course they can have other contracts for media work, promotions, clothing etc, they are called TPA’s.

Always a Bulldog

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Their contract is exclusive in regards to playing, they can’t play for more than one NRL Club at a time. Of course they can have other contracts for media work, promotions, clothing etc, they are called TPA’s.

Always a Bulldog
An d that makes them employees

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
An d that makes them employees
Usually an employee is there for a longer period of time, with limited amount of sick pay days, 4 weeks holidays and entitled to superannuation as well as long service leave and sacking them with or without an employment contract can get tricky. Unfair dismissal laws can come in to play.
RL Players generally have 2 or 3 year contracts, unlimited amount of sick pay and once their contract is up there is no issue getting rid of them. Unfair dismissal law does not apply to them, only their contract. I would say that would deem them more contractors then employees.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Usually an employee is there for a longer period of time, with limited amount of sick pay days, 4 weeks holidays and entitled to superannuation as well as long service leave and sacking them with or without an employment contract can get tricky. Unfair dismissal laws can come in to play.
RL Players generally have 2 or 3 year contracts, unlimited amount of sick pay and once their contract is up there is no issue getting rid of them. Unfair dismissal law does not apply to them, only their contract. I would sonay that would deem them more contractors then employees.
Not necessarily.

I have an employment contract for 3yrs but am still considered an employee for tax purposes.

One of the prerequisites of being a contractor is a ABN and Registered Company name.

No player I have ever heard of has one.
Contractors also need to take care of their own Annual Leave, nsurances and sick pay

Last edited:

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. At the start of the week, RFM is nowhere to be seen at training, reports emerge he has been told not to come within cooee of training (with no mention from the club, or media about any sort of suspension.) Next minute, the RLPA threatens to get involved, and straight away, Gus is seen meeting with RFM and his manager for crisis talk at CBLC. Next day, RFM is miraculously back at training after all.... but yeah, this is how Gus planned it all along. The level of delusion is astronomical.
Monitoring equates to threats does it?

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RLPA may not have said anything publicly, but this is exactly the sort of situation they do get involved in, so I see no reason to disbelieve the media in this case. RFM was told not to come to training and his manager openly came out and said he didn't understand the situation and wanted clarity. You could bet your bottom dollar if that clarity had not been provided, the RLPA would have gotten involved. Generally if players are suspended, they are suspended from games, not just a few days of training... and if they are suspended, the situation is conveyed clearly to the player and agent (usually the media too in order to prevent non constructive speculation.) I really don't think it's reasonable to assume this was a suspension.

Well, it's hard to not try and get another word in when questions are asked.

Not saying the media was invited, but CBLC is a public place.... if they wanted to hold a more private meeting, they could have met somewhere where the media was less likely to be staking them out....I mean outside of belmore HQ and the leagues club are the first places a ajourno would look.

Nobody knows exactly what was said, but the timeline of events is enough to satisfy me of what went down. Fair enough if you hold a different view. I shouldn't have called it delusional. Apologies if that offended you. To me, it just doesn't add up, that's all.
So you openly admit your prior posts were built on lies!
RLPA has not come out and asserted their authority as you've claimed, yet now recanting.
Why man, why do you continue with this?
The only achievement, is to make yourself look like a bigger dumbarse, despite it generally being agreed that is nigh upon impossible!
As I've sought to express to you privately, it is your attitude that stinks up your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.