Opinion We need our own home ground stadium

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you but my seat is covered at both Belmore and ANZ. I can catch a bus straight from home to ANZ or drive and there's plenty of parking. There's any number of restaurants and bars at SOP, before and/or after the game. A live band even plays at the Novotel across the road. None of those facilities are available anywhere near WSS, it's totally isolated.

FWIW I used Belmore as an example, could be Punchbowl, Lakemba, Campsie, Canterbury or anywhere else in the Bulldogs area.

Go Dogs
You know there’s more supporters then just you? Others can’t afford seats under cover. When was the last time you went to Parra? There’s plenty of pubs and restaurants close by and it’s in no way isolated. I’d say there is a lot more the SOP. Bulldog supporters aren’t just in the Canterbury-Bankstown districts last research I saw it was 50/50 that live in and out of the traditional area.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You know there’s more supporters then just you? Others can’t afford seats under cover. When was the last time you went to Parra? There’s plenty of pubs and restaurants close by and it’s in no way isolated. I’d say there is a lot more the SOP. Bulldog supporters aren’t just in the Canterbury-Bankstown districts last research I saw it was 50/50 that live in and out of the traditional area.
Are you saying it isn't a 2 kilometre walk from the Parra Railways station, because that's where the facilities are. At SOP they are across the road FFS.

I don't live in the Canterbury-Bankstown district either, but I can catch a bus straight to SOP. Can't do that to WSS.
I can catch a bus straight to Belmore. Can't do that to WSS.
I can also catch a train to SOP and it's not a 2 kilometre walk to the stadium.
I can also catch a train to Belmore and it's not a 2 kilometre walk to the stadium.

No matter where a Dogs supporter lives in Sydney (unless it's in Parramatta) the fact is SOP and Belmore are far more appealing than WSS, that's both travelling there and what's there when you get there.

I think it's dumb idea for us to play any home games at WSS, it will cost us crowds that right now we can't afford to lose (we just hit 15k members). It could easily be one of the things that the NRL needs to put us in the firing line for relocation, as if they need an excuse.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you saying it isn't a 2 kilometre walk from the Parra Railways station, because that's where the facilities are. At SOP they are across the road FFS.

I don't live in the Canterbury-Bankstown district either, but I can catch a bus straight to SOP. Can't do that to WSS.
I can catch a bus straight to Belmore. Can't do that to WSS.
I can also catch a train to SOP and it's not a 2 kilometre walk to the stadium.
I can also catch a train to Belmore and it's not a 2 kilometre walk to the stadium.

No matter where a Dogs supporter lives in Sydney (unless it's in Parramatta) the fact is SOP and Belmore are far more appealing than WSS, that's both travelling there and what's there when you get there.

I think it's dumb idea for us to play any home games at WSS, it will cost us crowds that right now we can't afford to lose (we just hit 15k members). It could easily be one of the things that the NRL needs to put us in the firing line for relocation, as if they need an excuse.

Go Dogs
I’m not sure what the distance is at Parra but it’s around a 10 min walk through a lively CBD area compared to the soulless Olympic Park.

That’s your personal circumstances where ANZ is more convenient and appealing. We won’t know until Round 21 how it suits other supporters.

Hypothetically saying it’s going to cost crowds is ridiculous and scaremongering about it potentially making us relocate is tin foil hat stuff.

Otis

Waterboy
Reaction score
Why would we need our own ground? We get paid to play at a field that has the atmosphere of a wake. Gave up my membership years ago because of it. Absolute shite. Cash is the only thing that matters. Shite.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
My experience is exactly the reverse, never had problem parking at Belmore and Leichardt is impossible. I've given up a few times and gone to the old leagues club and watched the game on TV.
Belmore has 360 degree access to street parking, whilst Leichardt has only 180 degrees as the Parramatta River isn't a very good place to park.

Go Dogs
The key with Leichardt is get there early. I'm closer to Leichardt than Belmore.

Belmore really isn't the ideal place for a stadium nowadays. In the 30-80s year maybe, but these days not really.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the distance is at Parra but it’s around a 10 min walk through a lively CBD area compared to the soulless Olympic Park.

That’s your personal circumstances where ANZ is more convenient and appealing. We won’t know until Round 21 how it suits other supporters.

Hypothetically saying it’s going to cost crowds is ridiculous and scaremongering about it potentially making us relocate is tin foil hat stuff.
If you walk at 12 kilometres an hour, then 2 kilometres would take you 10 minutes. Less than half of that is a CBD, if you think it’s lively try it on a weekend. Most outlets are there only for the Monday to Friday business trade .

One game won’t be a fair test, many will try it just the once and find it intolerable. Especially those with children to carry or those where a 2K walk, then a game to watch and another 2K walk is not to their liking. How many turn up the second and third times will be the proper test.

IMHO I think it will cost crowds, it’s not like we’re experiencing bumper membership currently. At the moment our two biggest assets in preventing relocation are members (even the current lower numbers) and the financial strength of our leagues club. Take away even more member numbers and leaving only the leagues club is a risk that I’d much rather not take.

Go Dogs

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do know the
If you walk at 12 kilometres an hour, then 2 kilometres would take you 10 minutes. Less than half of that is a CBD, if you think it’s lively try it on a weekend. Most outlets are there only for the Monday to Friday business trade .

One game won’t be a fair test, many will try it just the once and find it intolerable. Especially those with children to carry or those where a 2K walk, then a game to watch and another 2K walk is not to their liking. How many turn up the second and third times will be the proper test.

IMHO I think it will cost crowds, it’s not like we’re experiencing bumper membership currently. At the moment our two biggest assets in preventing relocation are members (even the current lower numbers) and the financial strength of our leagues club. Take away even more member numbers and leaving only the leagues club is a risk that I’d much rather not take.

Go Dogs
Transport services have not started to service the stadium yet until it open. When it does there will standard buses also if you have a young family probably go on demand bus.

Then eventually the Parramatta light rail will actually go WSS to SOP.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Go down Church Street where all the restaurants and pubs are and it’s still busy anytime of the day and night. Compare that to the lifeless and dead SOP.

Well the club is treating it as a test run to play there next year. Personally it will take me another 45mins-hour travel time but it’s a small price to pay to watch football in a stadium with atmosphere rather then a sterile, lifeless stadium with more blue seats then people. I have no doubt ANZ is a factor in poor team performances when players are trying to get themselves up and you can hear a pin drop. It’s a bad look at the stadium and on TV.

We will have to wait and see you think crowds will drop I think they will grow. I know plenty of fans that are excited about the new stadium and hope we play more games there.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Go down Church Street where all the restaurants and pubs are and it’s still busy anytime of the day and night. Compare that to the lifeless and dead SOP.

Well the club is treating it as a test run to play there next year. Personally it will take me another 45mins-hour travel time but it’s a small price to pay to watch football in a stadium with atmosphere rather then a sterile, lifeless stadium with more blue seats then people. I have no doubt ANZ is a factor in poor team performances when players are trying to get themselves up and you can hear a pin drop. It’s a bad look at the stadium and on TV.

We will have to wait and see you think crowds will drop I think they will grow. I know plenty of fans that are excited about the new stadium and hope we play more games there.
Was in Parra the other day for the first time in years and i must say the new restaurant precinct is pretty impressive.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I worked in Parramatta for 2 years, I know it well. As well as attending 100's of Bulldogs games and other events, I also worked in SOP for 2 1/2 years and I'd take SOP every time.
Stage 2 of the Parramatta Light Rail hasn't even had a final Business Case presented as yet. That's a Business Case FFS, not a detailed construction plan or timetable let alone an environmental impact statement that has to be consulted on and signed off before even starting construction. It could be 10+ years until that is completed. I wouldn't be relying on that to get to WSS for a few seasons yet.

Go Dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you walk at 12 kilometres an hour
(unless my maths is fucked)
12kms an hour = 3.3 metres a second or 30.3 seconds over 100m.
That is certainly possible, but prolonged for one hour would require someone literally running the entire way (12kms).

From Parra Station to Parra Stadium though is only about a 15-20min walk (1.5kms).

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roosters will have the new alliance stadium, Parra has a stadium, Penrith have a stadium...The dragons have 2, Manly has a home ground, West Tigers have Leichhardt....the Dogs and Bunnies are the only sides that are in complete limbo regarding a decent home ground...this could come into play when a Sydney side is asked to relocate.

I’m still not sure why we gave up so easily on Belmore. The dogs are getting squeezed out in my opinion...from everywhere

Last edited:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Roosters will have the new alliance stadium, Parra has a stadium, Penrith have a stadium...The dragons have 2, Manly has a home ground, West Tigers have Leichhardt....the Dogs are the only side that are in complete limbo regarding a decent home ground...this could come into play when a Sydney side is asked to relocate.

I’m still not sure why we gave up so easily on Belmore. The dogs are getting squeezed out in my opinion...from everywhere
Last time i checked we played out of Homebush and occasionally out of Belmore.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
(unless my maths is fucked)
12kms an hour = 3.3 metres a second or 30.3 seconds over 100m.
That is certainly possible, but prolonged for one hour would require someone literally running the entire way (12kms).
From Parra Station to Parra Stadium though is only about a 15-20min walk (1.5kms).
Exactly my point. Last time I walked to Pirtek Park (yep, it was that long ago) it took me almost half an hour (dicky knee) then another 20 minutes in the que to get in. All up I spent almost as much time walking and queuing as I did watching the game.

Go Dogs

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last time i checked we played out of Homebush and occasionally out of Belmore.
Last time I checked Homebush was everyone’s do drop in and Belmore once or twice a year....you call that a home ground

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Last time I checked Homebush was everyone’s do drop in and Belmore once or twice a year....you call that a home ground
Leichhardt or Brooky aren't that much better. One positive is we will have dibs on the Stadium out at Homebush in 2 or so years. I can't see what else we can do unless Belmore is redeveloped.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the suburban grounds are so out off date
As for parking,it is a very long walk for all of them
Shark park with that one road in is incredible
The only obstacle for Belmore is money and politics

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish we could enjoy some of the home ground advantages that Brisbane get.. Obviously didn't impact the result last night because Cows were dreadful, but they get away with murder at Suncorp

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish we could enjoy some of the home ground advantages that Brisbane get.. Obviously didn't impact the result last night because Cows were dreadful, but they get away with murder at Suncorp
That is the major problem with ANZ you forfeit any home ground advantage. Unless you get over 50K in there it sounds like a funeral.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Semantics fellas.
Home ground advantage does not come from whether you play at Belmore, ANZ or new WSS. It comes from the atmosphere of having 3/4 of the crowd screaming and cheering on the team.
It's looking around and seeing the sea of blue and white jerseys, scarfs, beanies, flags, the roar of the crowd and the beating of the drums.

Its us - the fans!

An average walking pace is 5 km an hour - and i would gladly walk the 15 mins for my team...

Go dogs.
See you at the game tomorrow!