We desperately need another half!!!

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasn't Cogger already been told he won't be here next season?
Yes.
So was Dean Pay :grinning:
IMO if Cogger doesn't have anywhere to go he might be worth a one year extention and see what he can offer under Barrett or even now under georgiallis.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When is he back?

Put him back at fullback, see how smith goes on wing if no good meany on wing.
Id be more inclined to leave meaney where he is, lay hoppa at centre and move Averilo into the halves. For the record I thin Averilo will most likely become our longterm fullback, but for now, with the addition of Lafai and imminent return of Hoppa, I can only see a move to the halves for him.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gees guys, Everybody knows that Lewis won't be playing half next year but for 60 mins while he was on the field he only made a couple of mistakes and he did have a hand in one of our trys. So give a little credit where its due.
I give Lewis credit for his long kicks but that's all he's good for. He was OK but once again he threw another shocking wayward pass in the opposition 20 (which the other halves in the comp dont seem to do as much). Was he better than Wakehan today, fuck yes, but he's just shit. We desperately need a creative half with a good long kicking game..........Burton

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id be more inclined to leave meaney where he is, lay hoppa at centre and move Averilo into the halves. For the record I thin Averilo will most likely become our longterm fullback, but for now, with the addition of Lafai and imminent return of Hoppa, I can only see a move to the halves for him.
I like it, Meaney will grow into the roll more and more.

I'm just floating ideas around.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, Avo doesn't get the ball enough in the centers. Most of his touches are hitups coming out from our own end. Put him at 6 or 1 and get him the damn ball.

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Foran may or may not get another contract, but if the club has ne desire to trial Averilo in the halves, (he is our long term fb IMO) then we desperately need to sign a quality half, 2 if Foran is not re-signed.
Wakeham has not progressed in fg whatsoever. He has been terrible!!! He should not have been on our bench today, and should not have played the final 10 mins. Especially when trying to hold on to a small lead i wet conditions. At least Lewis can defend for that period.
With no opportunity for Biondi-Odo in reserves tbis year, there is no telling how good he could become, so we need to buy a quality half no matter what. Unless Barrett decides to play Foran and Averilo in the halves.
Averillo needs to start playing as our number 6..unfortunately his defence in the line as a centre/winger is poor..he has never played in the centres and it shows in his defensive reads..last year ccup game vs penrith averillo and burton were the two best players on the park by a mile,averillo was in the halves..its his preferred position.its obvious to all and sundry that lewis/cogger/wakeham are not first grade standard halves...its time to give averillo a go.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wakeham nearly cost us the game today on a few occasions. I know he is still learning but it was basic things that went pear shaped and I don’t know that he is a better option then
Lewis like everyone keeps saying
I think brandon like alot of young halves is craving some guidance from a smart coach ,i think youll see him thrive under barrett but not until then

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think brandon like alot of young halves is craving some guidance from a smart coach ,i think youll see him thrive under barrett but not until then
I agree.
None of the guys we have now apart from foz are on big coin. And you would think he'll represent better value next year if he's kept.
No use replacing them with like for like more expensive versions.
The year after might be the right time to asses our situation and buy a marquee half if no one steps up.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hes played a lot more minutes this year behind a beaten pack.

Brisbane
When he came on against Newcastle
Tigers

So that hardly helps him.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes played a lot more minutes this year behind a beaten pack.

Brisbane
When he came on against Newcastle
Tigers

So that hardly helps him.
I dont think our pack is that bad apart from our starting props

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I dont think our pack is that bad apart from our starting props
My post wasn't in regards to the quality of our pack, just that in those games our pack was badly beaten

Vs tigers our pack was shocking
Vs Brisbane we gave broncos the game in the first 20
Vs knights, wakeham came on when we we couldn't get out of our own 20

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
No because there was nothing dominant or deserving about it.
Scoring more tries and tackling their asses off deserves a win, sure they could of passed more but playing it safe in the wet with points up worked.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averillo needs to start playing as our number 6..unfortunately his defence in the line as a centre/winger is poor..he has never played in the centres and it shows in his defensive reads..last year ccup game vs penrith averillo and burton were the two best players on the park by a mile,averillo was in the halves..its his preferred position.its obvious to all and sundry that lewis/cogger/wakeham are not first grade standard halves...its time to give averillo a go.
I still see him as a long term fb, but I guess it comes down to what Barrett thinks. He has definitely stepped up to the plate since give an opportunity in fg though. He has been great. So he has to start somewhere, and while Meaney keeps playing well, and with Hopp returning, and the addition if Lafai, a move to the halves makes the most sense. Him and foran together could be dynamite.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree, Avo doesn't get the ball enough in the centers. Most of his touches are hitups coming out from our own end. Put him at 6 or 1 and get him the damn ball.
Definitely. He needs to have the ball with a bit of space and time.

Number13

Management
Reaction score
Foran may or may not get another contract, but if the club has ne desire to trial Averilo in the halves, (he is our long term fb IMO) then we desperately need to sign a quality half, 2 if Foran is not re-signed.
Wakeham has not progressed in fg whatsoever. He has been terrible!!! He should not have been on our bench today, and should not have played the final 10 mins. Especially when trying to hold on to a small lead i wet conditions. At least Lewis can defend for that period.
With no opportunity for Biondi-Odo in reserves tbis year, there is no telling how good he could become, so we need to buy a quality half no matter what. Unless Barrett decides to play Foran and Averilo in the halves.
Totally agree with your synopsis including that of Wakeham. However we signed him up for another two years.

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Which dickheads start these topics?

Wakeham has only played 10 NRL games and that is enough to judge him?

The experts say, a halve needs atleast 100 games under his belt.

If there is any halve which is not good enough, that is LL. He is getting worse every game he plays.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham, Lewis and Cogger are not up to NRL standard. Neither is JMK at hooker. No other clubs would pay them what they're on here. Their 4 salaries + Tolman's is easily enough to get a quality young up and coming half and hooker. If Foran leaves then that's enough for 2 good halves and 2 hookers. If we can't get 2 good halves then use Averilo in one spot as you said.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I Dont think they will get another Half.
I think Baz will work with what we have to start with as these guys we have will benefit with having Baz as Coach
The solutions are there for 1. 6. 7 and 9...
We must get these 2 very affordable players
* J. Field as a utility fullback or half back, off contract at season's end
* Burton as a 5/8 / 1/2 4th string half at Penrith it's possible
If we lose Foran
We get Maloney or Green to replace his experience
Most importantly
There has to be a way to get one of these hookers...Grant, Smith, McInnes, Clarke if not then Starling
We will have to Leave it to our super recruiters :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely Wakeham was only named to cover Foran?

As much as Lewis is a dud, SG should of left him on the last 10, not because he was good, just because it was a shit move to put a rookie on in those conditions and situation.
Yeah wakeham got thrown under the bus there to come on so late in those conditions is fuking gee up for mine

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I avtually thought JMK was quite good today. But yes, we do need a hooker but id rather persist with JMK then Lewis or Wakeham. Wakeham may come good, but he looks to be at least another year away. He was terrible for his entire 10 min stint today. He should never have been played. Bad coaching decision right there.
He wasn’t great but he got thrown under the bus for mine