We are the Arsenal of the NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT

New Pup
Reaction score
As a fan of both clubs, the frustrations experienced in recent times have often left me in a position where i forget which team im referring too. The similarities between the two clubs from entirely different codes and continents, is striking. For those of you who follow english football, you're probably starting to realise what im talking about. Here are a few points:

Arsenal last won a league title in 2004 going undefeated with a team now known as the 'Invincibles', the same year we won our last premiership.

Arsenal have now gone 12 years without the title, We have now gone 12 years without a premiership.

Arsene Wenger is a vastly experienced and well regarded coach who once revolutionised the game in england, wining the title twice in his early years.

Des Hasler is a vastly experienced and well regarded coach who enjoyed great success during his time at manly. Renown for his innovative and revolutionary methods

Both coaches/managers have been described as extremely stubborn and possess complete and exclusive control of their clubs. The boards of both clubs submit to the reputation of these men with a serious lack of accountability evident.

Arsene Wenger persists with a style of play based around possession, involving the signings of small technical players, and continues despite any major silverware to show for it.

Des Hasler persists with a clunky forward dominated style of football that is now outdated and will not result in a premiership.

The way my luck is going, my local park team will be having the same issues some time soon

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a fan of both clubs, the frustrations experienced in recent times have often left me in a position where i forget which team im referring too. The similarities between the two clubs from entirely different codes and continents, is striking. For those of you who follow english football, you're probably starting to realise what im talking about. Here are a few points:

Arsenal last won a league title in 2004 going undefeated with a team now known as the 'Invincibles', the same year we won our last premiership.

Arsenal have now gone 12 years without the title, We have now gone 12 years without a premiership.

Arsene Wenger is a vastly experienced and well regarded coach who once revolutionised the game in england, wining the title twice in his early years.

Des Hasler is a vastly experienced and well regarded coach who enjoyed great success during his time at manly. Renown for his innovative and revolutionary methods

Both coaches/managers have been described as extremely stubborn and possess complete and exclusive control of their clubs. The boards of both clubs submit to the reputation of these men with a serious lack of accountability evident.

Arsene Wenger persists with a style of play based around possession, involving the signings of small technical players, and continues despite any major silverware to show for it.

Des Hasler persists with a clunky forward dominated style of football that is now outdated and will not result in a premiership.

The way my luck is going, my local park team will be having the same issues some time soon
Atleast Arsenal can buy some quality players

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha I remember telling my uncle the same thing. We are exactly the same team as Arsenal but two different codes.

Thank God I follow Manchester City :P

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You are absolutely right, we are the ARSE-N-ALL of the NRL.
We just need ARSE-N-BANGER to coach us........Oh wait. :tonguewink:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The similarities are there. The main difference is Arsene Wenger trains his team to play attractive football. When Arsenal are on they are so enjoyable to watch.

In terms of style Des is Tony Pulis of the NRL with his park the bus negative anti-football tactics. It's terrible to watch but you can't deny it gets results. Also Tony Pulis has struggled to attract any decent players in the recent transfer window just like Desmond. Des will do the bare minimum required by the board (top 8) Pulis also does the bare minimum (don't get relegated)

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Weve become the north sydney bears.. but at least they had some nice creme caramel at their leagues club back in the day

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

You think you've got it tough? I support West Ham and Carlton.

Bulldogs1974

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Arsenal has won a few fa cups

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Well I follow Norwich.
So following the Canterbury Bankstown bulldogs is a walk in the park compared to the heartache that is Norwich.

Last edited:

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Aresenals biggest issue was losing their best players for multiple years in succession. Nasri, fabregas, RvP

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if we still had steve folkes and he won nothing we would be arsenal

we are the valencia cf of the nrl

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Arsenal play beautiful football. We play Stoke under Pullis football.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

Haha. Spot on. Its so true. I also, am an Arsenal supporter. And the similarities are uncanny

Reactions: CT

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was chatting with a bartender once and we were talking about sport (A-League was on TV). Ended up mentioning that I'm a Bulldogs (NRL) fan, an Arsenal (EPL) fan and a Wanderers (A-League) fan. He said "I don't think I've ever hated someone so much in my life", but then he forgave me when I told him that I don't support Collingwood in the AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.