News We’ll get it sorted’: Burton plans lucrative, long-term stay at Belmore

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
‘We’ll get it sorted’: Burton plans lucrative, long-term stay at Belmore!

Bulldogs star Matt Burton wants to finalise a lucrative, long-term extension at Belmore when he returns from Australia’s World Cup tour.

Burton’s stunning 2022 rise to State of Origin and now Kangaroos honours has him in line for a healthy upgrade on his $500,000 salary, with talk of a four-year contract being lined up by the club for its prized playmaker.

Such a deal is believed to be worth more than $3 million in total.

Trent Barrett’s mid-year sacking, along with Burton playing well above his pay packet, had the 22-year-old prepared to test his value on the open market earlier this year. He will still be a free agent come November 1, thanks to a 2024 option in his favour.

But the arrival of Cameron Ciraldo as coach, along with Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney, and the strides made under interim coach Mick Potter during 2022 put Burton in an expansive mood about his future.

“I haven’t spoken too much about [Canterbury’s offer] but I’m pretty sure, based on what I have heard, that we’ll get something done,” Burton told the Herald on Wednesday.

“The World Cup makes it a bit hard to have those conversations, so I’m happy to go enjoy the tour and leave it for the moment. I’ll come back and we’ll get it all sorted it.”

Asked if he saw himself in Canterbury colours for the long-term, Burton said: “Definitely. I can see it getting done, that’s what I want. But we’ll get it sorted after the World Cup.”

Despite arriving at Belmore off the back of Penrith’s 2021 premiership triumph with Dally M Centre of the Year billing, Burton said his first goal for the season just gone was “making the No.6 jersey my own.”

After a starring role in the centres for NSW, a start in the Australian back line is not beyond the Dubbo product, though Jack Wighton and Valentine Holmes loom as more experienced options to partner Latrell Mitchell.

His parents Guy and Lisa were on hand in Dubbo when Burton got the call about his Kangaroos selection.

“There were a few tears here and there, it was a really special moment,” Burton said.

“We’re looking to get them across for the back end of the tournament. They might be more excited than me. State of Origin was a goal of mine this year but I hadn’t really considered [playing for] Australia, I never thought I’d be here so I’m so happy to be a part of this.”

Burton said his prowess out wide stemmed largely from his work with Ciraldo at the Panthers, hailing the Penrith assistant’s arrival at Canterbury as cause for optimism for fans and players.

“Ciro was massive for me when I was at Penrith with him,” Burton said.

“That transition from the halves to centre, it’s a big move defensively and there’s a lot to learn with that decision-making and all the movements.

“He was outstanding for me with that, he helped with that move and my development as a centre. The way he gets his message across to players, I really appreciated that throughout that year and I think it’ll be great for the club.

“He sits you down, shows you things as simply as possible and he gets the best out of you. There’s definitely something building [at Canterbury] with ‘Ciro’ arriving.

“There’s a lot to look forward to and the club’s definitely on the up. I’m looking forward to it and being a part of it.”

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clearly his management are hoping he plays a huge part in the world cup so they can jack up his price when he returns. If this happens there will be a bidding war. Without Ciraldo we would have stood no chance.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What impressed me here is that Ciraldo worked heavily with Burton while he was making his transition to centre during the pre season. He won dally m centre of the year last year with very limited playing time or experience at all in the centre position previously. This is what has impressed me.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Around 3 mill for 4 years is a fkn awesome deal for a rep player of Burtons standard. IMO, 750k - 800k is right on value, especially with the increased salary cap. Not paying overs shows the worth of Gus

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What impressed me here is that Ciraldo worked heavily with Burton while he was making his transition to centre during the pre season. He won dally m centre of the year last year with very limited playing time or experience at all in the centre position previously. This is what has impressed me.
It's easy as piss playing left centre for Panther.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sign Ben Hunt on a 2-3 year contract and we can have a decent crack at the Premiership.

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can Other teams offer him contracts from Nov 1st ?