Wakeham??

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looked the goods, wasn't scared to get involved and didn't make any mistakes, good debut.
Was run over the top of and palmed off and useless. Another player with the wrong build for FG. Would have to bulk up in the offseason to be FG ready. Small shoulders, no chest. Seriously, cant we find any athletes? He is suppose to be a hooker but he wouldnt last 10 minutes in FG with an army of big guys running at him. Next....

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was run over the top of and palmed off and useless. Another player with the wrong build for FG. Would have to bulk up in the offseason to be FG ready. Small shoulders, no chest. Seriously, cant we find any athletes? He is suppose to be a hooker but he wouldnt last 10 minutes in FG with an army of big guys running at him. Next....
It was good to see a bit of zip instead the same old boring hit up tactic.

MasterP

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I guess you haven't watched him play, sorry but you have no clue NEXT

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is not a hooker, he is a half yes he needs to bulk up - hope Pay has him playing half whether first grade or reggies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wakeham got selected for the NSW under 20’s team at halfback along with Tui Katoa and Matt Doorey.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People looking at u20 origin teams for the last few year would probably think halves should be the least of our issue. We have cogger, lewis and now wakeham. Lol

Disapointing no dogs in qld u20

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kid has been promising for a number of years now.

Hopefully we have the right coaches around him and he develops into a first class halfback

Does Craig Bellamy do private coaching classes?

ajay78

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's how small Thurston was from memory. When he came onto the field i was showing my 11yr old boy and said look, he is the same size as you. Haha
But that actually gives young kids more confidence seeing a kid his size make the grade.
Thurston looked like he was made out of toothpicks

Wakeham is small but actually more filled out

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Waiting for some of the most outrageous statements like we got for Lewis

"I truly believe he has all the trademarks to be a future superstar of the game"
"I truly believe he has all the trademarks to be a future superstar of the game"

Sorry.............................Couldn't help myself:mask::mask::mask:

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s been a halfback his whole life. Not sure where you got hooker from. Also he’s only just turned 20 and been named in the NSW 20s team. Plenty of time for him to develop.

Banned
Reaction score
Wakeham would make a good off the bench replacement half for Foz.
This would blood him, keep him out of a stupid position that doesn't suit him and afford Foz's body a fighting chance to last a game.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham is a breath of fresh air in the team.
From what i know hes played in 3 CCup games and 1 NRL game and so far has won all of them. He may be our little lucky charm.
Its important to bring players into the team that are used to winning and it was the perfect game to blood him.

I also noticed that his fellow Fijian Montoya played much better with him on the field.

The kid has confidence and for someone of his size thats really important otherwise he gets monstered every play that is directed at him.
I also felt that the team was shielding him alot by not passing the ball his way and passing it Cogger instead but i feel if we were leading by more points im sure they wouldnt mind him rolling the dice.

The grubber kick and the high bomb that was contestable straight told me this kid can do things and wasnt overcoached to cut those instinct plays out of his repertoire.

I agree he does need to put on some size but lets look at Preston Campbell, Alfie Langer and other small players what they lacked in physical build was made up with heart. This kid has heart - the last play helping Johnson to the sideline and then smacking Meaney in the back showed me something i havent seen in awhile and that passion.

With the season all but truly over for us it wouldnt hurt to let some up and coming players a taste of what level they need to climb to.

I really do hope we see more of him and others in the top 30.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wakeham is a breath of fresh air in the team.
From what i know hes played in 3 CCup games and 1 NRL game and so far has won all of them. He may be our little lucky charm.
Its important to bring players into the team that are used to winning and it was the perfect game to blood him.

I also noticed that his fellow Fijian Montoya played much better with him on the field.

The kid has confidence and for someone of his size thats really important otherwise he gets monstered every play that is directed at him.
I also felt that the team was shielding him alot by not passing the ball his way and passing it Cogger instead but i feel if we were leading by more points im sure they wouldnt mind him rolling the dice.

The grubber kick and the high bomb that was contestable straight told me this kid can do things and wasnt overcoached to cut those instinct plays out of his repertoire.

I agree he does need to put on some size but lets look at Preston Campbell, Alfie Langer and other small players what they lacked in physical build was made up with heart. This kid has heart - the last play helping Johnson to the sideline and then smacking Meaney in the back showed me something i havent seen in awhile and that passion.

With the season all but truly over for us it wouldnt hurt to let some up and coming players a taste of what level they need to climb to.

I really do hope we see more of him and others in the top 30.
No point comparing his size to other players and saying he will make up for it with heart of whatever, that shits all nonsense and irrelevant here. His body just isn't ready to take the hits of NRL footy, he needs a solid spell in reserves to condition himself.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No point comparing his size to other players and saying he will make up for it with heart of whatever, that shits all nonsense and irrelevant here. His body just isn't ready to take the hits of NRL footy, he needs a solid spell in reserves to condition himself.
Absolutely. Now that he’s got a taste of first grade, he knows what to work towards in reserves. The rest of the season in CCup, and a full off season would help him immensely.

Although, he might not have a choice if Lewis and Foran are injured.